stevepdp

Raspberry Pi meets a Fitbit One and Galileo

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:44 pm

I recently discovered that Fitbit One syncing is now achievable on Linux, thanks to a wonderful tool called Galileo. Here's a brief tutorial demonstrating my Raspberry Pi powered nightly syncing setup.

First, install python-usb and python-pip like so:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install python-usb python-pip
Then, you need to fetch Galileo, which is the tool that provides syncing functionality. It's as simple as so:

sudo pip install galileo
Running galileo requires sudo, but we can get around that limitation by adding a simple udev rule. Create and add the following to /etc/udev/rules.d/99-fitbit.rules

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="2687", ATTR{idProduct}=="fb01", SYMLINK+="fitbit", MODE="0666"
At this point, you should be in a good position to test Galileo. Plug in the Fitbit's USB bluetooth module and then run "galileo" as a normal user. You should see something like the following:

1 trackers found, 0 skipped, 1 successfully synchronized
Now this is all great, but what I want is to be able to automate this process using cron. Running "crontab -e" and appending the following line at the bottom of the script will set everything up:

0 3 * * * galileo
And that's it. The Raspberry Pi file server in my bedroom should now automatically sync my Fitbit too every night at 03:00. Zero effort required :-)

mariosangiorgio

Re: Raspberry Pi meets a Fitbit One and Galileo

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Thanks for your instructions. I followed them (with minor adaptations) on my Raspberri Pi running ArchLinux and it is working perfectly.

I'm only a bit disappointed because my device sends encrypted data to the server so I cannot really get back my data as I wanted to do when I started this project.

Are you analysing ins some way the dumps?

raspi-user.france

Re: Raspberry Pi meets a Fitbit One and Galileo

Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:54 am

It's working for me in principle fine as well - so many thanks to all the people developing it!

One more, final step I would like to achieve is to have it run automatically (even after a reboot) as a daemon. There is a daemon option for galileo but I could not figure out how to setup the init.d part to have it run through the init process. Any ideas by anyone how to enable this properly?

Return to “Other projects”