747flyer

Pi Near Space

Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:23 am

Me and have friend have had an idea for several months:Launch a Pi as close to space as we can. Solid rocket booster, though they would get us higher, post several threats and cost issues. We have decided upon several helium filled balloons lifting a Pi and several sensors and cameras up to about 20 miles, where we will remotely release the balloon and activate parachutes. However, to know when to release the balloons and parachute, we would need to actively view the altimeter, barometer, and others from the ground. Does anyone know how I could set up a radio link between the two, for transmitting of camera footage from the Pi, to the laptop, and send commands back up over 20 miles.

ghans

Re: Pi Near Space

Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:32 am

• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

747flyer

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks for that, it helped me plan some details, it doesn't actually tell me how to hook up a transmitter, and how to broadcast radio and receive it on the ground.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:22 pm

Search for Dave on the net. He has done all this stuff.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

daveake

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:36 pm

747flyer wrote:Me and have friend have had an idea for several months:Launch a Pi as close to space as we can. Solid rocket booster, though they would get us higher, post several threats and cost issues. We have decided upon several helium filled balloons lifting a Pi and several sensors and cameras up to about 20 miles, where we will remotely release the balloon and activate parachutes. However, to know when to release the balloons and parachute, we would need to actively view the altimeter, barometer, and others from the ground. Does anyone know how I could set up a radio link between the two, for transmitting of camera footage from the Pi, to the laptop, and send commands back up over 20 miles.
First thing, keep it simple. Use one balloon not several - you can get weather balloons plenty big enough to carry any reasonable payload (and I strongly suggest nothing more than 1kg total). Don't release the balloon - it'll burst anyway. Don't (10 times over) activate the parachute - use an inline chute so there is zero chance of it not deploying. Don't bother with commands - you'll need an amateur radio licence for a start, and you'll need to make sure that the transmission from the balloon doesn't drown out the feeble signal it sees from your ground transmitter.

Next, and best, bit of advice: go to www.ukhas.org.uk and read it. All of it, pretty much :-)

Dave

triggerhippy

Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:47 am

Hi

I'm just wondering if you completed your project? I'm looking to do this myself and was hoping you might be able to share your experience

jimallyn

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:01 pm

Amateur Radio operators (hams) have sent cameras up on balloons many times. A little Googling would probably turn up LOTS of information on it.
“So you say you love the poor? Name them.” - Gustavo Gutierrez

Return to “Other projects”