will.

In car OBD II scan gauge

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:30 am

Hey guys.

Over the last week or so I've been developing a replacement scan gauge for my car. (I've quite into motor sport and cars).

I've got it all working fine from my macbook. I have a Python program that reads the ECU data and then displays it onto a 2 line LCD screen I have.

Next stage, getting it onto the Pi.

When the Pi starts up (when car is turned on) it needs to be a start up script so that it goes straight into the program. Where do I put this python file for the start up?

Also when the Pi is in the car, it will be sat behind the dash so doing upgrades to the program will be quite tricky to get the SD card to take it into the house to update.

My idea is to somehow be able to make a connection to the pi using a wireless network or network cable in the car with my laptop. Only problem is that it is out of range for my house wifi.

Is there a way I can wirelessly connect to the pi from my laptop so that I can ssh onto it?

Fairly new to using the Pi as a device so sorry if the answers are blindingly obvious.

Cheers
Will.

will.

Re: In car OBD II scan gauge

Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Managed to get the start up script running.

Anyone got any ideas how I remotely send files to it without wifi?

kyled2012

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:45 am

Set a static IP on the Pi, and run an Ethernet cable straight from your laptop to the Pi. You may need to set a static IP on your laptop while you're using this connection.

You could leave the laptop end of the cable in your glovebox, or wire it to a female port in the glovebox if you're worried about looks, then you won't have to dismantle the dash to connect/disconnect.

After this is connected you can use SSH or SCP to access the pi and change files, or any other network access method (FTP, Samba, web interface, etc)

You could do something similar with a WiFi USB and some time, but I would say it is extremely likely that you could spare a 1-2m ethernet cable.

Good luck!

will.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Thank you for your help.

I used a network cable and it worked a treat.

Will be wiring the network cable into the glove box for access when I need it.

Just need to fit the pi into place and make an adapter plate for the screen to fit and I should be good to go.

Richard-TX

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Do you care to share your hardware drawings and software?

I would love to see it.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

GJohn86

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:50 am

As above, I'd be interested in the obd program and any details on your install. I'm looking to do something similar as a project but with a 4" TFT monitor incorporating cameras/media player and obd.

Gaz

Return to “Other projects”