Elliott B

Pi enclosure with a hard drive

Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:34 am

I'm planning to build a music server running MPD. My requirements are:
- includes Pi and 1TB hard drive, and a HiFi Berry analog audio output
- small
- attractive enough to shelve in a home theater
- built-in PSU with a single IEC power cord (no transformer bricks)

At first I was looking at a Mean Well RS-15-5, which provides 3A @ 5v. Very stable, enough to power both the Pi and a 2.5" USB drive, and inexpensive. But I have a very tricky challenge of what case to use.

Today I came across this case at Microcenter called the Vantec NexStar DX. Designed for a 5.25" optical drive, it has a tiny built-in PSU, a SATA - USB adapter, and even a 3.5mm audio output jack. It looks almost perfect!

My concern is the size of the PSU. It says 1.5A @ 5v, and 1.8A @ 12v. With the Pi using up to 1000mA, there is only 500mA left on the 5v rail. I would feel safe with this only if the hard drive can be powered solely by 12v. According to the Western Digital spec sheet, the 3.5" WD Green 1TB drives use 1.2A max @ 12v, and it does not mention 5v at all. But all standard hard drive connectors have both 5v and 12v lines, so I need to somehow confirm that these drives use only 12v.

If this works, this case would be excellent for running a music server, NAS, or XBMC machine. One could even mount a front USB port in a blank 5.25" cover plate.

jetto

Re: Pi enclosure with a hard drive

Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:19 pm

I have a similar objective. Looking to mount the Pi and a 3.5 inch hard drive in a enclosure/case along with a sata to usb converter.

In addition I'm also probably looking to add a powered usb hub.

Ideally all powered of a single power supply.

I've been looking a few m-ITX cases to see it anything would be close (don't mind a little modding)

But please keep me updated out your progress or findings.

Jetto

kyled2012

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:23 am

jetto wrote: I've been looking a few m-ITX cases to see it anything would be close (don't mind a little modding)
Hey jetto, if you haven't already heard of it, take a look at the Antec ISK110 VESA case, it's a very small M-ITX case that supports 2 2.5" drives and can be mounted to a screen or surface.

Might not suit your project, just might be a good case to look at.

I'm using this case in my Raspberry Pi car PC build.

Elliott B

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:28 am

I've been doing some testing with the Vantec power supply, and I don't think it's going to cut it. Under heavy load, the voltage drops to 4.64V, which is out of spec for the Pi. I had a couple of system freezes, which I attribute to the low voltage. However, I'm still thinking about maybe using this case, I'll have to see what fits once my Mean Well PSU arrives.

chriswilliams

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:47 am

Bump? I'm also in the market for a Rpi / HDD case, ideally with power built in else I'll back-power it with a stripped down USB hub. Looking at prototyping options at the moment.

Wondering how you got on with the PSU?

Thanks,

Chris -.

Return to “Other projects”