pifab

Pi Media/Server Case incl. 4x HDD + DVD + ATX

Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:57 pm

I finally got some spare time to work on my case for the Pi.

Why:
I wanted a nice housing for all my spare HDDs, turn on/off HDDs I need, a NAS, a media centre and to learn something ;)

Includes?
- Raspberry Pi
- ATX-power supply, female adapter to connect some cables
- power on/off circuit by Mausberry Circuits (http://www.mausberrycircuits.com/produc ... own-switch)
- connected to a douple-pole switch, which turns on/off Pi + ATX-power supply
- Pi is running on 5VSB
- USB-Hub
- space for 4 to 5 HDDs (3,5)
- space for a dvd-drive
- 2 fans (80x80 mm)

Sketches?
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Dimensions?
WxHxD: 330x180x350 mm
Got really big somehow, but fits nicely into my Expedit shelf ;)

Materials?
- Multiplex 6,5 mm und 15 mm
- alloy angles 20x20x2 mm and 20x25x2 mm

Current Status?
- Chassis is finished
- ATX-power supply, HDD-rack, first two HDDs and fans attached to sliding plate
- attached first cables to female ATX-adapter
- green = ATX / Pi power on/off, black = USB-Hub power supply (5V), red/black = Micro-USB to Pi (on 5V standby)
Picture here:

What's next?
- mill holes in front and back lid for Ethernet, HDMI, USB, switches, leds, etc.
- build attachment for the USB-Hub and Pi
- wire management!

-----

I have a few questions about wire dimensioning, I am an absolute beginner in electronics..
The ATX-power supply uses 20 AWG wire. I dismantled a couple of 20 AWG wires from an old ATX-power supply...

1. Can I use those 20 AWG wire to power the USB-Hub? It needs 5V and 3A, wire length is about 15cm.

2. I am using a Molex Y-Adapter to 2 SATA. This adapter uses 18 AWG wires. I want to cut the wires of the adapter to attach a switch for the HDDs. Can I use 20 AWG wires for this?
Setup would be like this:
ATX (AWG20) -> Molex to SATA (AWG18) -> wire to switch (AWG20) -> switch -> wire to Molex to SATA (AWG20) -> Molex to SATA (AWG18) -> HDD.
Picture here:
I tried it with a luster terminal and an old HDD. HDD turns on, LED shines green, I am able to power on/off the HDD. But I am not quite sure about heat production and amperage...

3. Can I connect the different wire diameters? And how?

4. Inside some 20AWG wire is copper, but sometimes ?alloy? I am not sure. Can I connect those?

5. Do I need fuses somewhere?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for my bad english...

kyled2012

Re: Pi Media/Server Case incl. 4x HDD + DVD + ATX

Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:13 pm

connected to a douple-pole switch, which turns on/off Pi + ATX-power supply
You'll need 2 separate switches, one for the Mausberry Switch, and one for the ATX PSU.
If you turn both off at once, your SD Card may become corrupted, as the Mausberry circuit still needs power while the Pi is shutting down.

Aside from that, I love your case! I have a Mini-ITX case to do exactly what you're doing, but I love your DIY.
Please keep this post up to date as you continue, would be great to see it develop.

pifab

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks kyled2012. I will update this thread when I make some progress.
You'll need 2 separate switches, one for the Mausberry Switch, and one for the ATX PSU.
If you turn both off at once, your SD Card may become corrupted, as the Mausberry circuit still needs power while the Pi is shutting down.
I forgot to say that the Pi is running on the 5V standby line. So if I turn off the switch the ATX shuts down, but the Pi still has power to perform its shutdown script. After that I can unplug main power to save some energy.
Tested and working already ;)

Only problem I have are the dimensions of the wires...
And you cannot unplug and change the HDDs easily. Takes some time, which might be annoying in the future.

kyled2012

Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:43 am

I forgot to say that the Pi is running on the 5V standby line. So if I turn off the switch the ATX shuts down, but the Pi still has power to perform its shutdown script
Actually I just noticed that you mentioned that, my bad!

Again, fantastic work, I look forward to seeing more of it!

pifab

Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Some more SketchUp renderings. Cover for the back, including holes for one fan, fan of the ATX-power-supply and mains socket.
As well as a hole for my connectors, which will be attached to the sliding plate. So I have one ethernet-, HDMI- and USB-adapter at the back.
I will use those files for the cnc-machine next week.
Moved the chassis fan to the left, just for "aesthetic" reasons ;)

Image Image Image Image

Finished the housing. I left the wood plates in my car over the night. So they got very clammy and curly. Stupid me...
That's why the sliding plate doesn't slide very smoothly in and out.

Image Image Image

**Update**
Front cover should look something like this:
Image Image
Just some sketches in illustrator. Don't really know if those small cut-outs are possible with our milling-machine. Otherwise I would plot those on black plotter film and put the negativ form on acrylic glass or something like that. Or give it a try with a laser-cutter.

Return to “Other projects”