gregd99

"official" case compatibility

Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 am

all,
apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but.....

When the "educational" version of the pi launches in August or thereabouts I understand that it will have a case included.

Is there any info available on whether this case will be compatible with the pis already sold?

I have been lucky enough to order a pi but would be interested in an case when they are available. From some of the comments I have seen about the outline of the ethernet/usb sockets i wonder whether a pcb re-spin is in the works before the educational version is released.

Greg

nick.mccloud

Re: "official" case compatibility

Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 am

Given the monstrous amount of effort that went in to getting the PCB laid out and as there are no compelling changes that are likely to require movement of the sockets, I'd hazard a guess at future official cases being compatible. If I'm wrong you could always see your Pi and buy a new one with official case.

I wonder why any case you acquire in the future has to the an official one? There are plenty of very nice unofficial ones around already.

welshblob

Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 am

nick.mccloud wrote:I wonder why any case you acquire in the future has to the an official one? There are plenty of very nice unofficial ones around already.
For me spending another £10+ on a case for a £30 computer is not very economical (based on some of the examples I've seen to date). I think the foundation have stated their official one should be fairly low cost and are trying to get it into the base price of the Pi (few months ago now so might have changed). As my Pi keeps falling off the desk due to the number of connectors hanging off it I'd also be interested in the official case and knowing when they will be available. Otherwise I might have to pop down to maplin and get the dremel out!

Cheers
Rob

HansH

Mon May 21, 2012 1:19 pm

Unless there are pcb changes which alters the connector locations, I don't see a reason why a future case should not fit the current RPi's.
I think it will take a month or 2 before there will be an official RPi case.
Just wait and see if it fits your needs.

Probably soon there will be some moulded cases coming out, so that will give you more choice.

I think there is enough choice on custom cases now , or you can even use existing cardholders or soapboxes and cut out the holes yourself...
We are just in the startup phase....most people don't have a RPi yet..

sharpapotheosis

Tue May 29, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm soon (hopefully in the next week) to be selling a case for £5 excluding P&P. The forum thread can be found here. :)

tech_monkey

Tue May 29, 2012 2:21 pm

Why not use some blobs of Blu-tac or similar to secure it to the desk.
http://www.casatech.eu

annodomini2

Wed May 30, 2012 9:01 am

tech_monkey wrote:Why not use some blobs of Blu-tac or similar to secure it to the desk.
Duct tape is also useful in this regard.

Or foam sticky pads.

hairydalek

Thu May 31, 2012 5:17 pm

annodomini2 wrote:
tech_monkey wrote:Why not use some blobs of Blu-tac or similar to secure it to the desk.
Duct tape is also useful in this regard.

Or foam sticky pads.
Velcro. Make the thing wearable!
All the best,
Paul.

Return to “Other projects”