moreno5

Sony Dash & Pi

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Hi guys,

Some of you may have never heard of it but I have myself a Sony Dash. After releasing falling out of love with the dash and in love with the Pi, I was wondering if I could use the sony dash as it has a nice screen, speakers and touch screen with the pi.

The website below shows the tear down easier than me taking the photos, do you think their is anyway I could tear mine down, take out the circuit board inside and replace with a Pi?

Reasons for doing this....well maybe I could make a wifi radio, or with home automation in mind, I could make this a panel running domoticz to control aspects of the automation around the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Streetcat

Re: Sony Dash & Pi

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:43 am

Hi. Just wondered whether you had any luck with your project. I have a dusty Sony dash & would like to hook it up with a raspberry pi. Any ideas? Thanks.
Streetcat---pi user---Canada. The Pi is great!

moreno5

Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Nope, no one came back to me, so it is just sat there...gathering even more dust. Such a shame, it would make a good screen to make a internet radio or some kind of cool alarm clock.

So many possibilities.

klricks

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:08 am

Many threads here about connecting xyz screen to the RPi.
Generally it is not feasible to connect a random 'bare' screen to the RPi. You need an interface board as big as the RPi to do that.
There are various interface boards which can convert a LVDS type screen found in old laptops and monitors but very unlikely to be a 3rd party interface for your screen.
For example to get an idea of what it takes to interface a screen and convert to something the RPi can use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VGA-Dr ... 19df01deb8
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

amcrae

Re: Sony Dash to Raspberry Pi Conversion?

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I just picked up an unused Sony Dash HID-C10 from my local Goodwill thrift store for $5. It is a fairly useless device without some serious diy hacking, but I love to learn new things in order to create useful devices. (SONY has the firmware locked down to prevent any major hacking, so I don't think there is a reasonable path to rooting the Dash and re-purposing its Linux OS.)

So, I too am interested in the idea of converting the Dash to run with a raspberry pi, if it is possible. By now there must be some inexpensive microcircuit boards that would convert the touch screen in the Dash to run as a hdmi touch screen. (Even if too large to fit in the Dash enclosure, perhaps in a 3D printed extender base that the Dash could sit on.)

Any diy geniuses out there that know enough to suggest a possible way to approach this Sony Dash to Pi Conversion problem?

disconap

Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:28 am

Searching around I found this. Seems like it is doable as a screen, and from a Reddit thread that talks about it the touch chip should be SPI, so those two bits are doable. Audio is apparently a challenge and would need a separate amplifier (or just plug external speakers into the pi I suppose).

My DASH is completely useless at this point, it'd be fun to make it into a kitchen mini tv/media server, or even a retropie...

Return to “Other projects”