Mikumiku747

Portable case: Shortening the micro usb plug.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:51 am

Hi all,
I am on my way to making a portable R-Pi and have run into a placement issue; I want the SD card slot to be directly accessible to the outside of the case, but the Micro usb cable is in the way. I'll include a diagram, as I'm bad at explaining things.
hacked up plug.png
Problem and solution?
hacked up plug.png (20.34 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
The solution could be to "destroy" the plug on the cable and bend the wires around, as they will be more flexible? I have a rule though: NO SOLDERING ANYTHING TO THE PI! I want the pi to be removable from this setup, so I need to find a way of making the plug shorter. It should protrude 5mm MAX from the pi. That, or somebody send me a link to a SD card extension cable/tutorial for one?

I think I may just be able to cut the plug and cable apart and bend some wires, but I need an expert's opinion, or at least somebody who is a bit more cable savvy than me. Pictures of other people doing this are greatly appreciated. ;)

Great thanks for any help in advance,
Mikumiku747 ;)

karlkiste

Re: Portable case: Shortening the micro usb plug.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 am

Yes, you can "skin" the plastic of a plug to be able to bend it shorter than usual.

Other (not officially reccomended) solder-free solutions are back-powering through one of the USB-ports or the power pins at the GPIO.

Hove

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:36 am

Would one of these give you the clearance you need? There are lots available, this is just the first I picked - just google / amazon / ebay for "micro USB OTG" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... MRGLE639HQ
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

redhawk

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:45 am

Instead of hacking up the micro USB port why not power the Pi directly from the +5v supply rail via GPIO or backfeed +5v from the USB ports.
This does however bypass the polyfuse protection, but as long as the input supply is a steady +5v then you should have a problem.

Richard S.

misho.petrov

Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:25 pm

I have used a scalpel and a file for both the micro USB and the male USB for the hub. It is the best option, because you will NOT bypass the polyfuse.
1. RPi B 512 MB + Sandisk 2GB c4, vesa mount;
2. RPi B 512 MB + Hama 16GB c10, heat sinks, micro fan, built-in lead-acid battery, duplicated factory plugs, 4,3" TFT, usb mini wireless keyboard, TDA2822 and speakers;
3. RPi 2 + Maxell 16GB c10.

Dilligaf

Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Get something like this http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... LA_4069988 from the local auto parts store and put a 1 or 2 amp fuse in it then power over the gpio pins

There's these too https://www.google.com/search?q=sd+exte ... =firefox-a

Mikumiku747

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:16 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for all the great responses, but to those who suggested the 5v rail, I'm already using that as a power source for my screen. The people that suggested it though, its a good idea, just not a good situation.

So, I'll probably roll with the different plug types, and worst case, I hack up a cable. Thanks for the responses, will post a pic when the parts arrive much later.

Thanks,
Mikumiku747

karlkiste

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Mikumiku747 wrote: Thanks for all the great responses, but to those who suggested the 5v rail, I'm already using that as a power source for my screen.
So, cut the power cable to the screen, and feed the 5V to this cable. It will feed the display and the pi.

Return to “Other projects”