clint westwood

Li-ion batteries surcharge and discharge protection

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Hello guys,
I have almost completed my portable raspberry pi, but i have some troubles with batteries.

I got two cheap romoss 5V 10200 mAh battery pack which worked perfectly until I burn the embedded electronics :0. Now I have two parallel mount of 5 li-ion elements without any surcharge or discharge protection.
Do you have some advices on simple circuits or chips to drive those li-ion elements?

My final goal is to feed a boost converter with the two pack in series in order to get my 12 V screen and my 5V usb hub work.

Edit:

Thanks

fixitsan

Re: Li-ion batteries surcharge and discharge protection

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:13 pm

It's difficult to see what configuration the cells are...it looks like there are 5 cells, but maybe there are 6 and one is under the pcb ?

Anyway, you must replace the electronics, with things like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCB-Charger-f ... 905wt_2650

Have a look at that seller's other items for 'lithium cell protection boards'. They're making it easy to implement reliable and safe lithium based battery supplies

clint westwood

Re: Li-ion batteries surcharge and discharge protection

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:36 pm

No there are only 5 cells in the battery pack. Under the pcb are the USB plug to charge and discharge the pack.

Thank you very much for the link! The proposed PCBs seem really easy to use and some are suitable directly for my two packs :D. I have just purchased a protection board for my batteries.

Return to “Other projects”