brightidea

Re: Low cost monitor

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:11 am

Found this on ebuyer, although football themed, is sub-£80 and has hdmi connection.

http://www.ebuyer.com/272148-h.....xm19sports

Would it be worth having a central list of low cost items?

Also, was thinking would there be any interest in a central place for buying sd cards pre-configured with different set-ups? SD cards look fairly cheap on ebuyer, so i would be more than happy to provide the service if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Alan

Archangel5089

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:25 am

I know I've posted this somewhere before but here are some cheap 6-10" touchscreens:

http://www.mimomonitors.com/

I'm going to have a few of these in my network, I plan to set it up so I can just plug the screen in if i need to interact directly.

brightidea

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:30 am

ah cool, UK reseller here: http://www.mimomonitors.net/

frafra

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:32 am

There are many monitor like that on internet, I think that is not very useful. A list with easy-to-use/cool addons for the Raspberry could be interesting: for example, I would like to see (and buy) a little touchscreen monitor powered by usb :D

frafra

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 am

Wow, you just posted what I would like to see :D You're awesome :D

eggn1n3

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:18 am

I think it would be a great idea to have a list with (cheap) hardware that can be used on R-Pi projects. I presume most people have the same demands, e.g. monitor, keyboard etc

eggn1n3

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:33 am

I just checked http://www.mimomonitors.net/. For $155 USD you have a 7'' touch screen. "Glue" a R-Pi at the back and you can build yourself a clock radio. You don't even need to program it: http://onlineclock.net/radio/ :-)

frafra

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:06 pm

"A second USB connection is included for systems that do not meet power requirements." Sure that it can be powered by a R-Pi?

vladhed

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:28 pm

In Canada 17" LCD can be had for about 60$ - of course with VGA only. The cheapest HDMI equipped LCD I've see is over 100$

Svartalf

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:51 pm

Quote from brightidea on August 31, 2011, 10:11
Found this on ebuyer, although football themed, is sub-£80 and has hdmi connection.

Nice catch. Hannspree monitors, so long as they have the right resolutions, are decent monitors, bang for buck. I've got several of them in my setups- and I'd currently get more of them.

Would it be worth having a central list of low cost items?

Probably..

Svartalf

Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:52 pm

Quote from vladhed on August 31, 2011, 16:28
In Canada 17" LCD can be had for about 60$ - of course with VGA only. The cheapest HDMI equipped LCD I've see is over 100$

Cheapest ones I've seen have been $80-ish. Cheapest ones I'd buy, they were $119- but that was a 1080p capable 19".

Svartalf

Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:15 pm

Quote from frafra on August 31, 2011, 14:06
"A second USB connection is included for systems that do not meet power requirements." Sure that it can be powered by a R-Pi?

I'd use a powered hub... You'll either not get enough juice or you'll push a bluesmoke event with your R-Pi... ;)

scologic

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:27 am

samsung also have a 7 " USB device if you can still source it, and it's around £50.. it doesnt have touch tho..
Mimo is not that great, i'd opt for cheap 22" and dvi - hdmi cable.

crundy

Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:25 am

Do you think you could use of the mimo touchscreens and install Android on your R-Pi? They don't say if they support multitouch though.

scologic

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:06 pm

Crundy buy a flytouch3 it's the same spec processor, and a cheaper display plus android is already on it. Multi touch is startign to become available but at around £80 for a capacitive touch panel it doubles the price of the unit...The wheel's already round if you catch my drift..

crundy

Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:48 pm

Where's the fun in that :)

igor47

Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:54 pm

here's the smallest cheapest screen i've found:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/.....r_LCD.html
$50 and composite input

lilliput makes a bunch of tiny cheap screens with different features and inputs; check their site for specs and then go find one for sale elsewhere: http://www.lilliputweb.net

might be possible to salvage your own for projects using a portable dvd player:
http://www.overclock.net/case-.....e-dvd.html

scologic

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:21 am

crundy... the fun is in the optimisation as the chineese havent got the devices working to their optimums yet..

toxibunny

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:48 am

I wouldn't fancy my chances against chinese techies - even the humble farmers are building real androids from scratch...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Eclipse

Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 pm

I've been looking at the various options for a small (< 12 inches), cheap monitor for a while. Most have been covered above and elsewhere, but I'll share my findings in case they are of use to anyone.

HDMI/DVI-D

A great option for home/car use, but while there are many small displays with a digital input on the market, none of them are particularly cheap. If you need a good quality, high resolution display hooked up to the Raspberry Pi's GPU though, you don't have much of a choice. Both Onkyo and Sony manufacture digital photo frames with an HDMI input that might be worth considering.

LCD/OLED panel connected to on-board video interface

(Assuming the interface is still present on production boards.) This is probably going to be the best option for those considering a portable device, likely powered by a battery. Unfortunately I suspect it will also require a lot of hardware voodoo as these aren't consumer interfaces. I do recall a now discontinued Nokia handset (3310?) that became rather popular at the end of its life due to the display and display interface it employed, which made repurposing it relatively simple. Perhaps an existing device with a display compatible with the Raspberry Pi can be identified, in which case used and damaged devices could be bought up cheaply (via eBay) and their displays harvested. Investigating devices using the same Broadcom processor as the Raspberry Pi might be a good place to start.

USB-connected display

Discussed at length elsewhere. The displays aren't that cheap, but neither are they terribly expensive if you opt for a non-touchscreen model. The two big drawbacks seem to be:

1) I could be wrong as I have no direct experience with these displays, but as they utilise a second video adapter, I would have thought that they would be unable to make use of any of the functionality offered by the Raspberry Pi's GPU - H264 acceleration, OpenGL, etc.

2) They cannot function as boot-time displays (AFAIK) and must be utilised through drivers developed specifically for them. DisplayLink, one manufacturer of USB-connected display technology (most devices on the market seem to use their interfaces), offer drivers here: http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/ Apparently they are included with Linux kernel 2.6.38 and later, although I don't know how many pre-compiled kernels are configured with support enabled. Probably not too many, especially in the world of ARM where small, light kernels are the order of the day.

Relatedly, USB to VGA adapters are also available if you have a VGA display that you need to hook up. Looking for an HDMI to VGA converter would probably give a better result though, even if it is quite a bit pricier.

Composite display

The big downside here is a loss of fidelity. Sometimes though, a small, low resolution display is enough. If you don't need anything above and beyond this then a display with NTSC or PAL composite input is almost certainly going to be the cheapest option. A number of threads have looked at hooking up small, portable televisions or DVD players with an AV input, but these tend to be more expensive then they need to be due to the extra electronics included. If all you need is the display, one option exists in the form of automotive reversing monitors. Here's a quick selection from eBay, all for under £20:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.ht.....PrRngCbx=1

Home users would require an inexpensive power adapter, but if you're planning to use one in a car, it's ready to go. Even those considering portable, battery-powered projects might be able to find some way to satisfy the display's power requirements.

slimdan22

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Another cheap option for a monitor is a 5" PSOne LCD screen,

They are composite video only (Although there are hacks for convert it to VGA although it does'nt work on all setups), but you can usually find them for under $50 on ebay

Mr_Navigator

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:47 pm

S_Doomfist

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:26 am

The LCD and Touchscreen components of the Nintendo DS are very cheap would it be possible to get them to run with the Raspberry Pi. Granted the resolution will not be good.

Edit: added link to DS touchscreen on Arduino
http://kalshagar.wikispaces.co.....uch+screen

Foundas

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 am

S_Doomfist, if i understood correctly, you need the LCD screen, put on top of it the touchscreen layer, then the arduino board, some soldering and a usb cable? and you have a 3" touchsceen??

that's it!!! :) best solution for portability

Return to “Other projects”