cazz

camera for car

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:55 pm

I have a cheap camera that recording when I drive my car.
Very good to have if something is going to happend.

The bad is that I'm afraid to have it in my car when it is night.

It is a very cheap but ok camera but if someone smash the windows to my car it going to cost me alot ALOT more then the camera cost me.

But take it in and out all the time is not so fun.

Then I was thinking have a tiny camera connect to USB to my Raspberry Pi, like a webcam.
But it is two problem with that, one is that I need a tiny HD camera (is good it it have a good quality picture) and the second is it have to have wide area lens.
But I do not think that is so big problem but I have to find a tiny good camera to use.

And how good is it to turn off and on a raspberry Pi all the time without run any shutdown command?

When that is done I can connect some more, like a backcamera, or a screen or something like that.

But if I going to try to do something I need to understand if that is any good recording program for debian that recording many small movieclip, why I ask for small movie clip is because when the SD card going to be full it have to recording over the old movie clips.
/Cazz

Ecurb

Re: camera for car

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:23 pm

For the size of the camera maybe you could take apart a standard webcam to make the profile as small as possible. For shutdown I could imagine that you could use one of the GPIO pins so that when it didn't get power from some source, it would start shutting down. Or it could be programmed to stay one for like 5 hours for security, then shutdown. I would like to do a project like this myself. Please let me know if you get somewhere on it.

cazz

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks for you replay

yes I trying to find a cheap HD tiny webcam on ebay to see what I can do.
/Cazz

anita2r

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi,

I use a MS HD-5000 Webcam. It's wide angle, autofocus and reasonably high image quality. There seem to be lots for sale on Amazon & EBay.

It works well on one of my RPi's using the 'motion' program.

You will likely also need a USB hard drive for image capture.

Note that even if you use a switch attached to a gpio port with some software to do a shutdown, it won't switch the power off.
You will still need to unplug or use a switch to turn off the power.

Regards

Ecurb

Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:30 am

Thanks for the info. Are you saying that even if you shutdown the RP, it's still pulling power all the time? If thats the case then it's a little more complex, I guess when the RP gets the signal that the car is shut down it could then send a signal of it's own to an external timer which could switch a relay and cut the power at a set time, maybe 1 hour for example. Of course also the RP OS would need to shut itself before that time.

anita2r wrote:Hi,

I use a MS HD-5000 Webcam. It's wide angle, autofocus and reasonably high image quality. There seem to be lots for sale on Amazon & EBay.

It works well on one of my RPi's using the 'motion' program.

You will likely also need a USB hard drive for image capture.

Note that even if you use a switch attached to a gpio port with some software to do a shutdown, it won't switch the power off.
You will still need to unplug or use a switch to turn off the power.

Regards

cazz

Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Nice but to much for me.

I have no buy a Webcam but I going to try this weekend how good it is.
/Cazz

Return to “Other projects”