rew

Re: Wanted: Beta testers for SPI driver.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:07 pm

I have preliminary SPI support working.

It's just programmed IO, and there are still a lot of things to do, but at least it gets a few bytes out on the line.....

Wanted:

Someone who can compile his own kernel.
Someone who can apply a patch. I.e. can follow directions like: "can you change the constant on line XX to YY and see if that improves things?"
Someone who has a 'pi. 

Offered:

An RPI_SERIAL board. http://www.bitwizard.nl/catalo.....ucts_id=69 (free!)
One of our SPI expansion boards. You chose which one. (Free!)

I would like you to make something with that expansion board. Open the curtains, display the temperature of your fish tank, or turn on the coffee machine at 7AM before you get up in the morning. I don't care. You choose your project. Chose your free expansion board wisely .  Then a short "howto" must be posted in a public spot. For example  here, at element14,  hackaday,  Make magazine, or instructables.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

nick.mccloud

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:40 pm

I'm up for this but I don't get a Pi until w/c 7 May.

I'd go for an LCD and a 7FET module and happily pay for it all. Probably make something to do with looking up the local weather and displaying a forecast.

Can't see anything that would allow data input so not sure how to read the temperature of anything - certainly not a fish tank as the kittens would eat them.

spartacus06

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:58 pm

I would also be up for it.  I recently got a ELM327 USB OBDII.  I was thinking about using it + RPi + LCD over SPI for a dash mounted computer with real-time engine readings/stats/diagnostics.

Hydrazine

Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:25 pm

I have a Rpi and I would love to test your driver. I'm an Electrical engineer student and I have enough experience with micro controller to build something. Don't know if I'm good enough with linux to do your patching, but if it's nothing more than changing something and recompiling it shouldn't be to hard.

I originally wanted to use my Rpi as some sort of home automation control center, so I think that would fit in with your plan.

veryevil

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Hi, Don't really have a project in mind but have already compiled a RPi kernel and have plenty of linux experience. I'm an electronic engineer and would gladly help you work on the driver.

I can patch and help modify it and test it out.

I'm in the UK if you are then that would make it easier.

Steven

rew

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:09 am

Guys,

I've decided how I'm going to do this: I'm going to PM you a coupon for my webshop, crediting the RPI and an expansion board.

Now I have to figure out how that works.

(I THINK I can make coupons that only work once, but in case I screw up, don"t give them to other people, ok?) — OK done! You all have your PM. Oh! By the way, the coupon expires next Saturday. This whole exercise is intended to get feedback in a week-or-two time frame.

And I have to figure out how I'm going to publish my git repo with the kernel. — OK done. See below.

If you managed to "register interest" here above, you are NOW invited to pull the git repository of the kernel, and compile your own kernel. FYI you don't need a 'PI for that!

The test kernel is up:

git clone git://github.com/rewolff/REWs-raspberry-pi-kernel.git

should get you a kernel to play with.

cd REWs-raspberry-pi-kernel/
cp config-rew .config
has the kernel configured the way I have.

make oldconfig
should then get you all set up.

make

then builds the kernel and the modules.

on the raspberry pi, insmod spi-bwlcd.ko and insmod spi-bcm2708.ko will get the modules loaded. "echo Hell there" > /dev/bw_lcd should get the text on the display.

I haven"t yet figured out how to bind my master to the spidev driver, to enable us to write userspace drivers for the other boards. On the other hand, writing a driver for the LCD was easy. Or I might make my own "bind this driver to that spi bus" mechanism. I haven"t decided yet.

Also note that some things in this kernel are preliminary. for example, I was getting frustrated that when I just typed "make" it would start compiling things for ia32, and then it would have to start over when I remembered to put on ARCH=arm on the commandline. So I've put the ARCH=arm in the makefile. Ugly, but it works for me. This will of course not be pushed upstream when the time comes.

I"m not a wizard working with GIT, so if I'm doing something wrong, let me know.

Roger.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

Hydrazine

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Got your kernel working, here's is a first measurement: sck and mosi obviously

now I just need something to hook it up to

GadgetUK

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Very interested in getting involved, have sent a PM.

benosteen

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:16 pm

I am part way through grabbing your kernel as getting some SPI access would be very useful! Adding a RTC unit would be wonderful for non-networked units too. Is it mostly a write-only interface?

I'm fidding with another kernel module at the moment, so it would be very helpful if you can say what you've changed and added so I can just patch my current build kernel!

Eg config options changed, modules added/altered, etc?

fodi

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 pm

Hydrazine said:

now I just need something to hook it up to

what about something like this?

an lcd screen would be a huge success

Hydrazine

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Working on it, but I blew the fuse of my oscilloscope today, so I don't have a clue what's going on at the LCD side

Hydrazine

Tue May 01, 2012 1:32 am

Well, I had to rewrite some parts of your LCD driver, but I've got some results:

The atmega is programmed as a serial (SPI of course) to parallel converter. The Rpi sends raw LCD commands to the LCD, including the init function.

3:31AM now, going to sleep -_-

crenn

Tue May 01, 2012 2:06 am

Good to know there is a SPI driver available

csoutreach

Fri May 04, 2012 1:37 pm

There's also an original thread here --

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....-3/#p73509
http://piface.openlx.org.uk/ Raspberry Pi IO Interface Board

Return to “Other projects”