cosmo

Camera case idea

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:21 pm

I used to collect old cameras a long time ago, and have a few of these that I am thinking would make a great case for a pi/camera combination:

I believe it should have enough room for a pi and battery pack. I don't know when (or even if) I will find the time to play around with this idea, but I figured I'd put this out there in case anyone else wanted to give this a try themselves, or make any suggestions. My initial idea was to keep the shutter working as is, with the camera module mounted behind it, and add a switch to trigger the camera when the shutter is activated.

dan3008

Re: Camera case idea

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:32 pm

I've got a similar brownie, in good working order, And i think the shutter would be too fast to properly match the camera and the shutter properly.
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

cosmo

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:43 pm

dan3008 wrote:I've got a similar brownie, in good working order, And i think the shutter would be too fast to properly match the camera and the shutter properly.
The camera has a switch which keeps the shutter open as long as you hold the lever down, I would make sure that this option was always switched on. You would just have to keep holding down the lever until the picture was taken (perhaps adding an LED to signal when the picture was taken). This would also allow taking video with the camera.

CopterRichie

Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Personally, I would like a water tight weather proof encasement. :)

dan3008

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:06 pm

cosmo wrote: The camera has a switch which keeps the shutter open as long as you hold the lever down, I would make sure that this option was always switched on. You would just have to keep holding down the lever until the picture was taken (perhaps adding an LED to signal when the picture was taken). This would also allow taking video with the camera.
Oh right. You have a slightly newer one than mine. Mine literally just snaps and done. unless i've missed something lol
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

cosmo

Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:23 pm

dan3008 wrote:
cosmo wrote: The camera has a switch which keeps the shutter open as long as you hold the lever down, I would make sure that this option was always switched on. You would just have to keep holding down the lever until the picture was taken (perhaps adding an LED to signal when the picture was taken). This would also allow taking video with the camera.
Oh right. You have a slightly newer one than mine. Mine literally just snaps and done. unless i've missed something lol
I may very well be mistaken, but I thought they all had this option. There should be one or more small metal tabs at the top or side of the front panel. Pulling up on one of them should set the shutter for 'timed' exposures. Others had extra tabs for different aperture sizes, and in some cases I believe, an extra 'closeup' lens or sky filter.

kevinch417

Fri May 29, 2015 5:48 pm

If anyone does this with an RPi 2 and camera module, please post the tutorial!

I'm not good at creating new things but I'd love to follow a tutorial and make my own, as well as know what's needed.

I have an old 1920s Brownie (like one of the posters, it doesn't stay open so I'd remove that) and I was thinking I'd leave the old lens on to get the old cloudy look.

Return to “Other projects”