rory838

Re: Laser cut 3mm acrylic (other materials possible) case design.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Just another case design…

This case has been designed with the accurate mechanical data in mind and some tolerance has been added to compensate for uncertainties. The differences only add a millimetre or so to the size, as i had to compensate for the vaporised section of acrylic while it was being cut.

The design is to be cut from 3mm thick material (I recommend the material to be clear because it allows the lettering and logo to be visible through the case and not add a rough touch to the case) and assembled around the pi, then glued together with the pi inside. This means that the only way to remove the pi from the case it to break the bonds of the case apart however if good acrylic bonding agent is used this wont do any damage to the case and it can just be re-bonded afterwards.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product…

Any feedback is appreciated (although good feedback is best!). Thank you for looking.

Rory.

I cant find the file I used on the pictures but I've uploaded the ones i do have. They're exactly the same dimensions and layout, just without the text and the name added ill upload the one used in the picture when I find it.

Downloads (without labels) V 0.7 :

.emf

.dxf

.dv3

.wmf

.plt

.dtd

.dtt

.aff

.dtl

.dtb

JonB

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:55 pm

I'd like one in clear red please.

hamjudo

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:02 pm

It is possible to build without glue, but it is more design effort.

I've experimented with snap together acrylic cases. Instead of cutting a straight 3mm lines along the sides of the tabs, I cut a sawtooth/zigzag pattern.

I'm not near the computer with the Postscript or SVG files, nor am I close to any of the cases, to take a picture. I used the laser cutter at Maker Works, and they took a picture

The saw tooth teeth are just slightly larger than the kerf of a the laser cut, so they aren't visible in the picture, and are barely visible when you hold the case in your hands.

It's kind of touchy, as the width of the cut depends on the speed of the cutter and the power setting for the laser. The laser head slows down on corners, so the teeth weren't as well defined as I expected. This meant I had to tweak the parameters in the python script that generated the SVG file.

killor

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:22 am

It looks great!!
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

killor

Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Cutting the acrylic cases with (Carbon dioxide) CO2 laser…  wavelength of 10.6 microns

(This information is for those who have never used a laser)  :-))))

The video is accelerated to shorten the viewing.  :-)

We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

georgetaylor

Wed May 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Upload with labels? Brilliant design!

georgetaylor

Fri May 04, 2012 8:40 pm

rory838 said:

Just another case design…

This case has been designed with the accurate mechanical data in mind and some tolerance has been added to compensate for uncertainties. The differences only add a millimetre or so to the size, as i had to compensate for the vaporised section of acrylic while it was being cut.

The design is to be cut from 3mm thick material (I recommend the material to be clear because it allows the lettering and logo to be visible through the case and not add a rough touch to the case) and assembled around the pi, then glued together with the pi inside. This means that the only way to remove the pi from the case it to break the bonds of the case apart however if good acrylic bonding agent is used this wont do any damage to the case and it can just be re-bonded afterwards.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product…

Any feedback is appreciated (although good feedback is best!). Thank you for looking.

Rory.

I cant find the file I used on the pictures but I"ve uploaded the ones i do have. They"re exactly the same dimensions and layout, just without the text and the name added ill upload the one used in the picture when I find it.

Downloads (without labels) V 0.7 :

.emf

.dxf

.dv3

.wmf

.plt

.dtd

.dtt

.aff

.dtl

.dtb

Wouldnt acrylic short the pi because of the static electricity... Correct me if im wrong. Hopefully not because i just made a load of cases out of acrylic!

Return to “Other projects”