moocow1452

Re: Bluetooth Clampshell Device

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:44 am

I was wondering if it would be practical to make a Bluetooth pairing device for a smartphone, that operates like a flip phone, and can dial out, hang up, and act as an intermediary between the phone and the speaker. Mostly because a lot of the people I know with NEW phones are having trouble dealing with the swipe to answer call and such, and just want to be able to pick up and dial calls without having to poke a touchscreen. (I know a lot of old people.)

Anyway, would the Raspberry Pi be the ideal base to start out with on this sort of project, or could I hack something together with even less overhead. Also, is there a way to replace the audio port with a combination jack solution for input or output (I know, FAQ) or kitbash the GPIO ports into a microphone, since it would only need one USB port if I could use a miniature bluetooth module.

oninoshiko

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:56 am

Old people? I'm only 30 and I love this idea.

Dang newfangled touch phones the whippersnappers have these days! Why I remember when a cell phone was the size of a large purse, and we where GLAD to lug it around! Hey! Get off my lawn!

Seriously though, I do lothe that none of the smart-phones we get at the office have a clamshell design. My coworkers have multiple recordings of the radio in my car (or worse, me singing along) where I have pocket dialed them. I miss flip-phones, and would give up all the smart features on my phone for that one thing, if they would let me.

moocow1452

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Thanks for the backing. I'm thinking it is possible with the Pi, but I don't know if it needs a full board to work, or if you can just make a dumb speaker / mic combo.

Return to “Other projects”