fmanso

Re: Raspberry Pi case design ready for mass production

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:26 am

Hi there,

My name is Fernando and I am talking to you in behalf of M8TEC LTD. It is a company just created by some friends and me with the focus on activities related with the Raspi.

We are currently developing ideas for Raspi that we will let you know in future, but I am here right now to talk you about our first project, a case.

As some of you already know designing a case ready for mass production at a low cost is tricky. Luck for us one of the M8TEC guys is a 3D artist with years of experience in design this kind of models and after hours of work and some modifications the design we plan to produce is this:

The material used will be plastic ABS and the production system will be plastic injection. If you don’t know what is it think on any object of plastic in your life. Playstation 3 controllers, TV controller, etc.

We are already produced a prototype with a 3D printer to make sure that everything is right. The prototype is this:

I suppose you are already asking yourself why I am here telling you this. Ok, I am here to ask for support. We are planning to launch a crowdfunding project for the first batch of cases. The project will be hosted by indiegogo.com. We are near to finish calculating the costs of everything including shipping to the entire world and we will release the project in a matter of days.

The perks - indiegogo term for rewards - will include a case for you, of course, but we feel that if you decide supporting us you deserve something more so we already made contact with suppliers and we will include two more perks that will reward you with an 8GB SD card class 6 and a USB power adapter, both at a cost below market.

In addition, because this adventure won’t be possible without the Raspi, we are going to share a percentage of the cash we get with the Raspberry foundation.

Thank you and kind regards.
Fernando Manso.

P.S: We are working in a web too, with a blog, for letting you know the updates to this project.

fruitloaf

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:52 am

That case looks great. One thing that strikes me as being missing would be mounting holes to allow these to be screwed onto the back of a VESA monitor/TV.

If you decide you don't want the holes in there for aesthetic reasons if you don't think they will be used by enough people consider at least putting markings on the inside of the case as templates for where people can drill themselves.

WildWalker

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:24 pm

Yep, looks good.

Lets wait and see what the final cost+shipping is, I have a figure in my head that I am willing to pay so hopefully it will come in at that

Alan.

hippy

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:42 pm

Looks nice but I feel single colour cases look better and more professional. Some people like translucent cases but I prefer opaque. Having a range of options will therefore suit most tastes.

I couldn't tell from the image but are the board LEDs visble through the case ?

Please make sure you have permission from the Foundation to use the trade mark Logo. And don't forget that the Foundation will be producing their own cases in due course which could affect potential sales.

Skizz

Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm

How hard would it be to incorporate a battery compartment? I've not seen a case yet with an integrated battery section (4 x AA?) and think it's something that would be really useful.

fmanso

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:17 pm

It is great to have some feedback !

fruitloaf:

Yes, it is planned for the final design to have one point to drill. We think that one is enough.

hippy:

You can choose whatever colour you want. When we finish the campaign we will start asking what colour you choose. The only requirement will be that we need 100 cases for the same colour to produce it.

In the render and in the prototype there is a strip that serves as a window to check the leds, but we need to confirm this solution works with the final board. If it needs adjustments we will let you know what is the final design.

Thanks for warning us about the logo trademark, I have sent an email to Liz asking about it.

By the way, we are thinking about adding the 3DS source model to every reward for letting the community mod our case. What do you think?

fmanso

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Skizz said:

How hard would it be to incorporate a battery compartment? I've not seen a case yet with an integrated battery section (4 x AA?) and think it's something that would be really useful.

Sorry, as of right now, we have no plans about it.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Skizz said:

I really wish someone would remove that from the FAQ.

The Raspberry Pi will not run from 4 AA batteries.

While it is theoretically possible to buy or build a circuit to make it possible, that would cost a significant amount, and it would not run for a reasonable length of time even if you did it.

The 4 AA batteries claim relates to the Alpha board, which could run from 6V directly and used an efficient voltage regulator. The production baord requires a regulated 5V supply, and it wastes 40% of its power in an inefficient regulator.

fmanso

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:22 pm

We should receive tomorrow another two prototypes produced with other technology. I will add photos as soon as we can.

jicarriches

Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:34 pm

It is more cool box I've seen so far. Are you planning to send it worldwide?

Thank you.

HansH

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Looks good..

If possible, then a  transparent top would be nice

How do you fasten the pcb board and the 2 case parts together ?

Can you use the bottom half only and will the pcb still be secured.

kronosrey

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:47 pm

Hello my name is Alfredo, i´m desing guy of m8tec.

We are waiting for the final PCB to finish the design. Some of the issues left are the fastening of the case and how the PCB will be seat inside.

I have some ideas but I can't answer you on that questions right now.

Thanks!

Lolo34140

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Which company will made your case? because it"s very expensive to create a matrix for plastic injection. I"m very curious about that.

You say also that ABS polymer will be used for the case. But this is not the most suitable plastic to inject a case. It"s just an advise. I"m engineer in materials sciences, I know what I say about that.

This is a better polymer for extrusion. For example, it"s very used with 3D printers working with melted polymer Like the RepRap.

I hope your not going to do something like ModMyPi with their Raspberry case.

Because they used a RepRap to print their case and sell it for 10euros. They open a pre-order for their case, they cashed hundred people, and then closed the pre-order.

Unfortunatly, people will be very disappointed because the RepRap printer create horrible aspect of printed parts. It"s completly not professional and it"s only for prototype at home.

Sorry if I"m off topic but I observe some scams with the Raspberry Pi case.

I just wan"t to advertise people about it. So be carefull about some projects which promise an affordable price for a case.

And actually it's not possible to inject a case for the Raspberry because of the lake of information about the board dimensions. It can take several weeks to create a drawing of the matrix and to realize the matrix for injection and then to correct it before the production. At this moment, the cost of the injected part can be determine.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

Nacho_Carriches

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:48 am

Hello Lolo,

I´m Nacho, another member of M8TEC. Let Alfredo answer you about materials and production method. I can answer all your questions about peripherals like SD cards and USB power adapters.

Thank you.

Regards,

Nacho.

fmanso

Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Hello Lolo,

Thanks for telling us about previous scams with the Raspberry Pi case. We did not know about it and we are worried about being related to that activities, your warning let us explain and clarify that we are not scammers.

First, as you already said, plastic injection require a first invest in the matrix which expensive. But after the matrix being produced, it is the best system to produce cases at a very low cost. That initial invest is the reason we are asking for funds. We need cash to build the matrix.

You ask for who will produce our matrix and the cases. I am sorry but I cannot tell you. We are getting special price for the matrix because one of our members work at the factory and the company can be in trouble if their clients know it. I can only tell you that it is a big factory with years in the industry located in Madrid.

One of your concerns is what happen with the cash if we don’t reach the amount needed to buy the matrix. Well, that an advantage of crowdfunding webs. The people will know the amount we need, and if the amount is not reached we won’t get the cash. It will refunded automatically. Any way, of course, we would refund the cash if that automatism did not exist.

I am not an expert in materials but we discussed which material we will use for the case with an expert at the factory weeks ago when we started this project, and the selection was ABS because for a small object like the Raspberry Pi case it gives great results at a reasonable cost. After your comments, I’ve made a little search in Google and there is a lot of objects made with this system and material. It seems that is used with objects like the case without any problem.

And finally, of course, we will need a final PCB board to create the matrix. We will try to get it ASAP.

Lolo34140

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:13 pm

I fernando,

First of all, I hope your project will be realize.

For the technical aspect of your project I"m still not agree with your choice for process and the material of your case.

Plastic injection is more fit to mass production (above some million of part). Imagine if you only sell some thousand of cases for example, the cost estimation of your case will be completely wrong. It will be in this case very expensive to produce. You will lose money.

Thermoforming plastic is cheaper, and you don"t take a lot of risks with this kind of process. And with the shape of your case you can made it in one shot (one part like a DVD case or a lot of case)

For a case like your drawing and for a lot cases which opens and closess again and again, ABS it"s completely not the best choice. Loock under your plastic component in your home. Effectively you will find a lot of product in ABS and also some cases. But this cases are screwed and are not made to be open and close several times like the raspberry pi case.

ABS is brittle. The best example is remote. Lots of remote are completely made of ABS. There is a part that you can remove when you change your battery. The clip on this part, is also brittle in ABS. If you change 4 or 5 times (or less) your battery this part breaks. Who is it that does not happen? it"s happen frequently! And yet we do not change often the remote battery of the TV. Because ABS it"s an old material very well know and a lot of engineers keep the old habit to inject in ABS even a removable part (even if it"s only a few times, like remote).

The best thing to do with your, with my experience, is to thermoform in PP (it"s cheaper, easier and better for removable part). The wall thickness need to be a the minimum 1.5mm.
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

fmanso

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:25 pm

Thank you Lolo, your comments are really appreciated. I am learning a lot with this !

In relation with the risk, don't forget that we are launching with an indiegogo.com project. If we don't reach the amount of orders to produce the case at our target cost indiegogo.com itself will automatically refund the money. There is no risk. But thank you again for your consideration.

About the material selection, We know that the RasPi will be used by lot of people for learning robotics and using the GPIO to talk to other devices but we think most people will stay in software development and activities that does not require to keep opening the case again and again. May be in this forum it is the most of the people but I don't think it happens outside.

Any way, I will ask your concern to our expert and take a look at the material you are suggesting.

Best regards !

Lolo34140

Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Ok.

When I talk about the risks is after, when you reach enough money to start the project.

If your estimate numbers of case you will sell is false, with injection it's the worst case. Because the matrix will stay in the injection machine, consum a lot of energy just for some cases and you buy to much material. So you produce at a loss.

A matrix it's difficult to remove from the injection machine.

With thermoforming process it's easier and it consumes less power.

But injection plastic it's not a bad choice, but not the best.

Regarding the fact people will don't open the case a lot of times even if they are not developer I'm not sure about that.

Me for example, I'm not a developer, but I will open it a lot of times I think. Because I like technology, I will want to see the Raspberry sometimes, to show it to other people, to clean it…

And I'm sure that people who will buy the Raspberry Pi are fond of technologies. It's a geek device. Lol

fmanso

Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 pm

When I talk about the risks is after, when you reach enough money to start the project.

If your estimate numbers of case you will sell is false, with injection it"s the worst case. Because the matrix will stay in the injection machine, consum a lot of energy just for some cases and you buy to much material. So you produce at a loss.

A matrix it"s difficult to remove from the injection machine.

Thanks, Lolo, but don't worry. As I said before, luck for us, one of our member is a worker on the factory and thanks to that we have special conditions on the costs and no minimum amount of cases to produce.

We will take a look at the material and I will tell you something about it next week.

kronosrey

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:59 pm

We have a new high quality prototype !!!

Murlock test approved

killor

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Hola Fernando

It looks very nice.
but it seems that the board you ride upside down? Se ve muy bonita.
pero parece que la placa ¿la montais boca abajo? Saludos
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

fmanso

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 pm

killor said:

Hola Fernando

It looks very nice.
but it seems that the board you ride upside down? Se ve muy bonita.
pero parece que la placa ¿la montais boca abajo? Saludos

Hi Killor,

Thank you!

The position of the board is something we discussed weeks ago. We agreed that upside down some elements, like the SD slot, are more accessible. That is the reason.

Codyak

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:00 am

Very nice work, assuming it ends up with mounting holes of some kind, this would definitely be what I was looking for.

fmanso

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Thrall approves our prototype !

fmanso

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:11 pm

Here we go !

http://www.indiegogo.com/Raspb.....8;a=482006

Thank you everyone supporting us !

Return to “Other projects”