pigsy

Re: off grid media player /web access

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 am

I want to use the Rpi as a media player and web browser. I live off grid with a very small 12v solar powered system and 2 leisure batteries so low power consumption is paramount. I want to hook it up to my 22in led TV and my 3mobile internet wireless router (with a lan cable) and using firefox have access to streaming media like bbc iplayer and 4od and the general web, also using vlc media player be able to play music hd video and my trek collection from a portable hard drive. Maybe add in a webcam for observing wildlife or security too. The Rpi could be the solution I have looked for for ages , laptops are ok but need re-charging frequently. and dont show hd very well on a 14in screen

tech_monkey

Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:45 pm

In theory you should be able to do virtually all this within XBMC so either the openelec version or the Raspbmc version.

There are plugins for TVCatchup, Iplayer etc. I did use the live version of XBMC on a normal PC and then downloaded Firefox and would then just log out of the XMBC.

Don't know if this would be possible with the PI versions though.

If the plugins will work then you could have an SD card with the media center software on itand another with the Linux OS which would have I think Midori, as the browser, which is just as good as Firefox.
http://www.casatech.eu

hzrnbgy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:10 pm

don't forget an ultra efficient switching regulator to drop the 12V to what the RPi needs

pigsy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks . Good, it bodes well, just need to get the unit, Hate waiting and it could be months yet. I am a windows junkie and have little experience of linux apart from a few months with the early acer one running Linpus Linux lite, and very little programming experience so this looks like it will all be within my scope. I have a simple car cigarette lighter adapter that has 3 sockets for 12v and one usb power socket for charging phones, that should power the RPi ok

Return to “Other projects”