HansH
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:49 am

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:49 pm

That sandwich case looks better than the Bud sandwich, but that is just my personal taste

But this thread is used for lola34140's case, which is very nice and well designed.

Hope to see it soon on shapeways...

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 pm

I just give you some news.

I received my Pi board.

My case fits almost perfectly to all Pi board components. So I just need to update my dimensions in order to have the best dimension case.

So in principle my case will be available very soon.

Here some pictures















http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Thu May 03, 2012 10:03 pm

That is good news indeed.

Does this apply to your 'design' board also?

Now that the Raspberry Pi's have started shipping it would be nice to be able to get one of your cases on order from Shapeways... the 'design' one, of course, with the top and base in contrasting colours!

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Thu May 03, 2012 10:13 pm

I would just remember that the print quality of my case does not correspond at all to that of Shapeways

For the design case :















http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Thu May 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Thank you again for supplying the additional pictures so quickly.

That is definitely the one for me I think... especially as the final product from Shapeways will look even smarter still! (That is what you are in effect saying, isn't it?)

You must be quite excited to finally be able to see a production board inside one of your lovely cases, and to be able to finalise the designs at last.

Is it your intention to have the 'power led lightguide' available at the same time, as I would like to purchase one of these also?

I am sure that you will let us know when we are actually able to place orders for your cases... let's just hope they will not be too expensive!

A lovely job!

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Montala said:


Thank you again for supplying the additional pictures so quickly.

That is definitely the one for me I think... especially as the final product from Shapeways will look even smarter still! (That is what you are in effect saying, isn't it?)

You must be quite excited to finally be able to see a production board inside one of your lovely cases, and to be able to finalise the designs at last.

Is it your intention to have the 'power led lightguide' available at the same time, as I would like to purchase one of these also?

I am sure that you will let us know when we are actually able to place orders for your cases... let's just hope they will not be too expensive! 

A lovely job! 




Thank you!

So for the printing quality, on shapeways it"s completely better. They use others kinds of 3D printing technologies like sintering for example. So the surface on shapeways is nearly completely smooth. After it"s depend of the material that you choose.

For power led lightguide it will be available at the same time with my design case and my standard case.

I"m currently working on the creation of my own website. So when it will be finish you will have on it all the informations about my cases.And also more pictures!
This website is not only for my Pi cases but talks about all my futur CAO creation.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanks again for all the additional information about Shapeways.

I will be interested to see your website, once it is completed, and to hearing about your future plans.

Until then I will wait as patiently as I can for the time when I am able to place my order for a design case to protect my Pi.

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 pm

Montala said:


Thanks again for all the additional information about Shapeways.

I will be interested to see your website, once it is completed, and to hearing about your future plans.

Until then I will wait as patiently as I can for the time when I am able to place my order for a design case to protect my Pi.


Thanks!

Here my new website : http://freakyshape.com/

I just want to clarify that the site is not completely finalized.

it's also possible that there are some spelling mistakes (or a lots) because I'm not fluent in english.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Wed May 23, 2012 7:24 am

Hi,

I just receive my printed case from shapeways. It fits perfectly to my production Pi board.
So my cases will all be available very very soon (2-3 days max).

You can find some pictures of my printed case here : http://www.shapeways.com/model/565087/r ... -case.html.
And a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 0_MM4ocfy0.

Further informations here : http://freakyshape.com/
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to inform you that my cases are finally available on http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape!

I printed my case in White, Strong & Flexible on shapeways. The quality is very good and the Pi fit perfectly inside my case.
Some photos to illustrates my printed case from shapeways :

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Here a video of my case : http://youtu.be/50_MM4ocfy0

I drawn 3 differents cases for the Raspberry Pi all based with the same dimensions of this case.

Standard case : http://www.shapeways.com/model/565087/r ... -standard- case.html/?material=6
Design case V1 : http://www.shapeways.com/model/511025/r ... -design-ca se-v1.html/?material=6
Design case V2 : http://www.shapeways.com/model/572576/r ... -design-ca se-v2.html/?material=6

You can also visit my website for more informations : http://freakyshape.com/
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

poing
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 3:13 pm

Lolo34140 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am pleased to inform you that my cases are finally available on http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape!

I printed my case in White, Strong & Flexible on shapeways. The quality is very good and the Pi fit perfectly inside my case.
Some photos to illustrates my printed case from shapeways :

Image
Hey Lolo, looks good but way too expensive @ €30.

But could you please reduce the size of your photos before uploading? This particular forum page takes a minute to load where I can't see the last post because all these enormous images of yours keep pushing the last post out of sight. In the image above I only see the side of a hand and if I click on it I'm taken to the front page of your ISP?? So I can't even see most of your images (some others seem smaller) while they make reading this page a hellish experience. Thanks.

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 4:25 pm

poing wrote:
Lolo34140 wrote:Hi everyone,

I am pleased to inform you that my cases are finally available on http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape!

I printed my case in White, Strong & Flexible on shapeways. The quality is very good and the Pi fit perfectly inside my case.
Some photos to illustrates my printed case from shapeways :

Image
Hey Lolo, looks good but way too expensive @ €30.

But could you please reduce the size of your photos before uploading? This particular forum page takes a minute to load where I can't see the last post because all these enormous images of yours keep pushing the last post out of sight. In the image above I only see the side of a hand and if I click on it I'm taken to the front page of your ISP?? So I can't even see most of your images (some others seem smaller) while they make reading this page a hellish experience. Thanks.
Hi,

My standard case price is 23.77euros not 30.

Regarding the size of my photos, each one does 800x600 ( and approximatly ~80ko).
On my computer the page appears very quickly and the images are small. This is the same thing on my ipad.
Maybe this is due to the previous photos that I put on an older post. But I can't edit this older post.

However my photos can also be shown here : http://freakyshape.com/raspberry-pi-cas ... eways-com/.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 5:29 pm

Looking good!
Just to clarify though, could you please confirm whether or not the power button 'light guide' is included with Version 1 of your Design Case, or does it have to be ordered separately?
Thanks! :)

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 6:07 pm

Montala wrote:Looking good!
Just to clarify though, could you please confirm whether or not the power button 'light guide' is included with Version 1 of your Design Case, or does it have to be ordered separately?
Thanks! :)
The lightguide for my design case V1 (or all my others cases) is a different part of the case. You must order the lightguide + the case. But this is optional.

For the design case V1 if you want the case + the lightguide you need to order this:
Design case V1 : http://www.shapeways.com/model/511025/r ... se-v1.html
Lightguide V1 : http://www.shapeways.com/model/584800/r ... se-v1.html

This is the same thing for my others cases. There is an unique lightguide for each case (lightguide standard, lightguide design V1, lightguide design V2)

Of course on shapeways.com, when you order this 2 parts, there is only one shipping cost.

I can't add the lightguide to the case on shapeways, because the lightguide must be in a transparent plastic. So, if I put the lightguide on the same drawing that the case it will print the lightguide in the same color that you have chosen for the case.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi 'Lolo'... thanks for the prompt reply, but I would appreciate it if you could clarify another couple of points for me please, before I actually place my order.

Firstly, how is the light-guide (V1) attached to the case... or is it just a 'push fit'?

Shapeways show two options for the guide, 'frosted detail' and 'ultra frosted detail' which I assume is 'better' in some way, but is there really any practical difference, or advantage in buying the 'ultra' one?

Am I right in thinking that that you have now checked out this actual case with a production model of the Raspberry Pi board, which presumably just clips into place into the base of the case?

Although it is more expensive, I am very tempted to go for an all black Design case V1, which I think should look very smart indeed, and would make a worthy home for my Pi... when it eventually arrives!
Mind you I will probably have to wait a couple of weeks or so for a case to be delivered to me, here in the UK, anyway.

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Montala wrote:Hi 'Lolo'... thanks for the prompt reply, but I would appreciate it if you could clarify another couple of points for me please, before I actually place my order.

Firstly, how is the light-guide (V1) attached to the case... or is it just a 'push fit'?
There is a little gap between the light-guide and the wall of the case in order to be sure that the light-guide passes correctly through the top of the case. I add 2 clips on the top of the case which maintain the light-guide. However, I add this feature after I having received my printed case. So I didn't test this system. But if it don't works you need to stick the light-guide.
I would just remember you that this "lightguide", in my opinion, is more a gadget than really necessary (because this is expensive compare to the price of the because because of the transparent material cost)

Image
Montala wrote:Shapeways show two options for the guide, 'frosted detail' and 'ultra frosted detail' which I assume is 'better' in some way, but is there really any practical difference, or advantage in buying the 'ultra' one?
I order the ultra frosted detail and this is very good. I never tested the frosted detail. But you can have an idea of the difference between these both materials here : http://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted_detail
Montala wrote:Am I right in thinking that that you have now checked out this actual case with a production model of the Raspberry Pi board, which presumably just clips into place into the base of the case?
The board is maintained thanks to the clips on the bottom of the case. The board is wall against wall with the case. Because it will have some differences between Pi production boards maybe it will have a little gap or not. But when the board is inside the case, you can plug and unplug all the cables easly without the board moves.
Montala wrote:Although it is more expensive, I am very tempted to go for an all black Design case V1, which I think should look very smart indeed, and would make a worthy home for my Pi... when it eventually arrives!
Mind you I will probably have to wait a couple of weeks or so for a case to be delivered to me, here in the UK, anyway.
I waited approximately 10 days before to receive my case printed by shapeways. The shipping is relatively quick.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 8:22 pm

I just want to clarify one other point regarding the design case V1. When you insert the board inside this case, contrary to the other cases, you need to bend just a little bit the front wall in order that the board passes inside the case. This is completly normal and wanted.
And this allows the Pi board to be well maintained inside my case.
And this conception allows to have some differences between Pi board because even if the front and the end walls are slightly bending by the boards (in the case of a board slightly bigger), the closure system will not be affected. And this can't be visible.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun May 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Lolo34140 wrote:I just want to clarify one other point regarding the design case V1. When you insert the board inside this case, contrary to the other cases, you need to bend just a little bit the front wall in order that the board passes inside the case. This is completly normal and wanted.
And this allows the Pi board to be well maintained inside my case.
And this conception allows to have some differences between Pi board because even if the front and the end walls are slightly bending by the boards (in the case of a board slightly bigger), the closure system will not be affected. And this can't be visible.
Thank you again for the above clarification, but your latest statement does give me slight cause for concern.
I can accept that it may be necessary to bend the front wall of the case slightly in order to place the board in position, but I would not be very happy if both the front and end walls were to be pushed out line, due to an 'oversized', or bigger board.
We would hope that all the boards are made to an exact size, but from what you are saying it looks as if this may not in fact always be the case. I can accept that possibly the retaining 'clips' might have to be trimmed down a bit to accommodate a slightly larger board, but once the board was in place, then I would expect both end walls to be perfectly 'straight', as it were, in order to preserve the professional appearance of the case, which I still consider to be one of the most attractive ones currently available.
Perhaps this is something I will not actually know for sure though, until I receive both a case, and a Raspberry Pi to put inside it?

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Mon May 28, 2012 11:11 am

Montala wrote:
Lolo34140 wrote:I just want to clarify one other point regarding the design case V1. When you insert the board inside this case, contrary to the other cases, you need to bend just a little bit the front wall in order that the board passes inside the case. This is completly normal and wanted.
And this allows the Pi board to be well maintained inside my case.
And this conception allows to have some differences between Pi board because even if the front and the end walls are slightly bending by the boards (in the case of a board slightly bigger), the closure system will not be affected. And this can't be visible.
Thank you again for the above clarification, but your latest statement does give me slight cause for concern.
I can accept that it may be necessary to bend the front wall of the case slightly in order to place the board in position, but I would not be very happy if both the front and end walls were to be pushed out line, due to an 'oversized', or bigger board.
We would hope that all the boards are made to an exact size, but from what you are saying it looks as if this may not in fact always be the case. I can accept that possibly the retaining 'clips' might have to be trimmed down a bit to accommodate a slightly larger board, but once the board was in place, then I would expect both end walls to be perfectly 'straight', as it were, in order to preserve the professional appearance of the case, which I still consider to be one of the most attractive ones currently available.
Perhaps this is something I will not actually know for sure though, until I receive both a case, and a Raspberry Pi to put inside it?
I think I didn't properly expressed myself in my last post. In principle the board will have approxymatly the same dimensions because in princple they are laser cut.
When I speak about the front and end walls can be slightly bend this is about 0.10-0.15mm maximum. You can't see it. This is a rule of conception if you want to maintain correctly a board inside a case whithout screws. This is completely normal and it works fine with my previous printed design case V1.

The appearance still look professionnal because this is my job, don't worry.

The only thing that you can observe with this case is that you maybe need to bend the front wall about 1mm to insert your board because of the usb ports. This is normal and don't affect anything. The plastic from shapeways is very flexible.
With this plastic you can bend the walls about 5-8mm or more.

My previous post was technical about how my Design case V1 works with a Pi board inside. There are always some deviations in dimensions of a PCB ( at max 0.15-0.3mm) or any products. So when you have to draw a case for an object you need to take in account the dimension deviations. This is normal, and this is what I was saying in my previous post in fact.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Mon May 28, 2012 11:59 am

Thank you again for the detailed explanation!
You have answered my queries very well indeed, and I am sure you will be pleased to hear that my order for one black design case V1, plus 'lightguide', has now been placed with Shapeways.
As others have already said, it is not a cheap option, (costing more than the Pi itself) but I am sure that it will be worth it for such a quality product... I certainly hope so anyway!
They have stated that I should receive my order by 7th June, (and I will report back on here when it arrives) and if Element 14 keep to their promises I should receive my Pi before the end of June also, which will be good.
I shall look forward to receiving them both!

Edit: Actually I have just realised that 7th June is the estimated shipping date for my case, so it will probably be quite a few days after that before I actually receive it, here in England!

AlexS
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Tue May 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi,
will you publish the models, so that anybody print the cases with an own 3d printer?

Thanks,
Alex

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Wed May 30, 2012 7:21 am

AlexS wrote:Hi,
will you publish the models, so that anybody print the cases with an own 3d printer?

Thanks,
Alex
Hi alex,

I'm working on it. I just need some time to draw a model which is better fit for personnal 3D printer.
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

Lolo34140
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 pm

Just a picture to present my Design case V2

Image

http://www.shapeways.com/model/572576/r ... se-v2.html
http://freakyshape.com/
cases for the Raspberry Pi available here : http://www.shapeways.com/shops/FreakyShape

User avatar
Montala
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Herefordshire (U.K.)

Re: Design Case for the Raspberry Pi

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:14 pm

I am currently waiting for Shapeways to despatch my case, which is now a couple of days overdue, so I have sent them an email to which am awaiting a reply.

In the meantime I was wondering if anyone had actually received one of these yet, and if so what they thought of it?

(I have ordered a Design Case V1) :)

Return to “Other projects”