RoDuS

Re: Cases for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:43 pm

Recycle dead laptops, replacing the screens with digital tv w/tuner and HDMI/RCA in ports (if the tv has sd or usb ports on board then you save on RasPi space with pictures, mp3, divx...). convert the hard drive tray to usb... I got around 8 laptops with issues...

Dear RasPi org, wanna trade 4 RasPi's for 4 lappy's, lol (j/k)

Bacan

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Quote from liz on October 29, 2011, 00:38
... kids ...having to sell one of their juicy young kidneys

What kind of cooking is it you do again? :o

And how often do you fix kidney pie for company?

pi-curious

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:03 am

Assuming the low thermal output discussion will be a reality in final form, I would like to plan on strapping a small aluminum heatsink to the main chip(s) if needed and pouring resin over the entire board creating a resin "brick" maybe <2cm thick.

You get my drift.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:56 am

We're not totally sure that epoxy potting will work (it's not something we've experimented with) - the board is engineered so that there's room for very small amounts of expansion and contraction, and potting interferes with that. Do give it a shot - but it'll be at your own risk!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

matt_heys

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:29 pm

If the SoC stays below 62c then it's time to dust off the PolyMorph http://bit.ly/rVkGVd

Failing that, ill just take it in Maplins and stick it in every box they have on the shelf until one fits.

Other ideas are those plastic food cases, or if your feeling flush a Peli Case like the i1010.

KP9000

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:12 pm

Has anyone ever considered Shapeways?

It's a company that will print your 3D models into actual items. Sure, it will probably cost more than the Raspi itself, but hey, it's a completely custom case.

Here's the website: http://www.shapeways.com/

liz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:17 pm

We will be selling cases very soon after we start selling the device itself, so if you do go for a Tupperware solution it only needs to be temporary!

KP9000

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:43 pm

Any details on such a case? Price? Material? We understand details are hard to come by these days so you'll understand our prying eyes. :D

Kissman

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:32 pm

Hello, is there any sizing & holes accurate schema of board?

liz

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Not yet - as soon as we have artwork, we'll be posting it here so that you can make your own cases. Shouldn't be too long now.

Kissman

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:50 pm

ok, thanks for the info... I am planning make 1U rack cases with some accesories for usage as VoIP gataway and SPA & Wellnes information system database server ;) all-in-one :)

pi-curious

Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Quote from liz on October 29, 2011, 11:56
We're not totally sure that epoxy potting will work (it's not something we've experimented with) - the board is engineered so that there's room for very small amounts of expansion and contraction, and potting interferes with that. Do give it a shot - but it'll be at your own risk!

If expansion is an issue( or a concern of breaking surface mounts) , a flexible silicone can be applied around the device prior to potting.

riffraff

Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:30 am

You'll be making enough units to make this an attractive solution: a simple plastic wallet with a velcro closures. A protective inner compartment that neatly closes over the board with punched-out access holes for SD card, connectors and ventilation heat bonded to an outer envelope that is slightly larger and open at both ends to neatly channel cables to the left or right with four embossed pips on the underside to act as feet. You could add a small pocket in the upper flap for extra SD cards and thumb drives. That would be about the right size to drop in a students bookbag, and sturdy enough to protect the board from impact and bending. A sweet looking semi-translucent raspberry colored polypropylene with the logo embossed on the upper flap would be nice. The shipping container IS the case, just shrink wrap it or drop it in a manilla envelope. =)

supadupa001

Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:10 pm

Cases could be accessories like phone "skins" and phone cases. Mulitcolors etc. third party aftermarket. If it powers from 4 aa batteries then a third party rechargeable lithium ion pack would be nice as well. What is ahte status of USB video? seems like that would have helped the size too.

Puar

Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:47 am

I plan on machining a custom aluminum case with a machined logo and anodized black. Should be pretty awesome trying to design something cool for the Pi.

Mr_Navigator

Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:20 am

Quote from tufty on October 24, 2011, 15:13
Ah, but with the speed technology is advancing compared to the "good auld days", surely it can only be a matter of hours before you announce the launch of the sugru-mouldable solar powered recumbent yellow dustbin. And, mere minutes after that, it's withdrawal.

Speaking of Clive, did his X-1 ever see the light of day?

er deadlines for that were July, no movement on the website, no reply to emails, sound familiar?

http://www.sinclairzx.com/spec-x-1.html

drache

Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:31 pm

I am going to try printing an enclosure with a 3D printer. It should allow for lots of different logos on the lid, though I'm not sure what style latch would be best. Standard case screws may win out based on availability alone. I am still in the process of building the printer (Prusa Mendel,) though I have all the parts sourced, so that should work out I think. The LEGO brick case looks awesome, I'll have to play with printing something like that also. With holes in the bottom even.

macarelo

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:20 pm

I used to work in postproduction - video editing and such -, and in any job, after editing, you have to export the final video clip, which can take hours or maybe a full day, of computer processing. In those cases, I always thought I wanted another PC for emailing and such (as the work pc couldn't be touched), and that I would like to embed it inside the computer case of the worksation...

...how easy would it be to mod a PCI bracket to the RasPi (and maybe use a USB header from the motherboard for power)?

annirak

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Quote from macarelo on November 8, 2011, 14:20
I used to work in postproduction - video editing and such -, and in any job, after editing, you have to export the final video clip, which can take hours or maybe a full day, of computer processing. In those cases, I always thought I wanted another PC for emailing and such (as the work pc couldn't be touched), and that I would like to embed it inside the computer case of the worksation...

...how easy would it be to mod a PCI bracket to the RasPi (and maybe use a USB header from the motherboard for power)?

Pretty easy, I'd imagine. You can use one of the scads of unused internal USB ports for power. There are plenty of USB front-panel or rear-panel expanders for these, so just remove the mounting hardware, connect a USBA->microUSB connector, and you're set!

The real problem you'll face is not in embedding the RasPi itself, it's more what to do next. You have to bring HDMI and USB out of the case for it to be useful. But your workstation is already using the video and keyboard/mouse. So you really need a USB KVM switch as well as the RasPi and that will have to be outside the case to connect to your graphics card.

I'd recommend trying out a RasPi + workstation combo first before you get into embedding it. Decide whether it does what you want or not, then go embed it if it does..

annirak

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:16 pm

I'm planning to hack the RasPi into an old TI-92 case. Should make quite the functional Linux portable.

Dylatron47

Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:15 pm

I was thinking this for the MAME cabinet . . . . http://imageshack.us/photo/my-.....l3971.jpg/

mengel

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 pm

file:///home/mike/Desktop/img_1484.jpg

jakjack1

Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm going to get a small box I plan to mount behind my TV, then I will be getting this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-2.....813wt_1344

Confirmed to work with most Linux Builds, so It should be okay, Then I can sit back, and chill :D

chrisjamesmcd

Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:12 am

Why dont you guys build a 3d printer and print your own case.

Dylatron47

Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:24 am

Thats a great idea, now can you loan me a $100,000? :p

Return to “Other projects”