RobH

Re: Cases for the Raspberry Pi

Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Thank you Bacan! Can't wait to see who the winner is!

Nick Scott

Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:22 am

One thought I had for a Raspberry Pi case was an old CD ROM drive, (could house two at least most likely), then put it in a normal PC. That, or the other option that I am kicking up is in a small rack mount case (1/2 or 1/3 depth), housing 2 or 3.

obarthelemy

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:49 am

I like that last one a lot. Materials and machining look expensive though. Plus a transparent casing kinda jives more with the raspi spirit.

Neil

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 am

Hmm... how about a machined perspex case, such as used for this little MIDI sequencer:
http://www.vacoloco.net/synths/gorf/

RobH

Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Idea for an Apple TV alike set top box.

jewesque

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Quote from AmyS3 on August 13, 2011, 00:35
or you can make the case ultra sturdy if you just dunk the raspi in epoxyd...

lol, epic. :)

Of course, that means that any of your components in it are... permanent, including your SD card which isn't necessarily known for its reliability long term. I'd rather have something much more accessible, like the already suggested project boxes.

I'm thinking that whenever I come up with something, it'll be some sort of project box modified to accommodate the ports, or perhaps even extension cables running through the boxes so that the box itself can be waterproof/resistant.

fdufnews

Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:56 pm

Quote from jewesque on October 17, 2011, 20:37
Quote from AmyS3 on August 13, 2011, 00:35
or you can make the case ultra sturdy if you just dunk the raspi in epoxyd...

lol, epic. :)

Of course, that means that any of your components in it are... permanent, including your SD card which isn't necessarily known for its reliability long term. I'd rather have something much more accessible, like the already suggested project boxes.

There are other issue whith epoxy it will heat while it cure and apply large constraints on the board. I tried one day to do this with a USB memorystick and it didn't survive.

emercer

Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:50 am

Quote from emercer on September 8, 2011, 12:39
I dunno about you, but I intend to build one into one of those laptop-sized keyboards with embedded trackpad...

Lookie:

Edit: My keyboard just arrived from China. It's WAY too thin to fit even a model A inside :( I'll try to find some alternate keyboard+trackpad combo and/or some way to adapt this one.

xxxstarmanxxx

Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:49 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-.....125wt_1181

These look quite good - You could adapt the tray underneath for all manner of peripherals.

I like the idea that its flip top also.

:)

cougarten

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:53 pm

just saw this _usb_ drive
(I'll go for altoids)

jean_bruder

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:06 am

Hi all !

Can somebody give the real dimensions of the board (according to the actual boards that are used by the testers) and maybe give the exact location where we could drill holes in the PCB to screw it to a box ?

Many thanks in advance to you all :-)

obarthelemy

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:21 am

Not yet. But I'm sure they will as soon the the artwork is 100% finished, which should be Real Soon Now. The Alpha boards currently used by testers are nowhere near the final design,and are about twice as big.

Ampix0

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Ok someone fit the R-pi inside of a large mouse with the mouse being functional with HDMI out in the front connected right to the screen.

For you uys planning on Altoids and keyboards and stuff. How do you plan to stop the R-pi from shorting out, touching metal and what not

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Altoids tins etc will be fine - we'll ship with those squishy plastic feet for the board, which will keep it clear of the metal. (We haven't decided yet on whether those will be attached; it costs money to put them on, and it's possible some people won't want them pre-attached anyway.) It's not a hard problem to get around. You could even use something like blu-tack if you want something removable.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Otto

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:37 pm

Quote from liz on October 24, 2011, 13:56
Altoids tins etc will be fine - we'll ship with those squishy plastic feet for the board, which will keep it clear of the metal. (We haven't decided yet on whether those will be attached; it costs money to put them on, and it's possible some people won't want them pre-attached anyway.) It's not a hard problem to get around. You could even use something like blu-tack if you want something removable.

Now you're starting to sound like Uncle Clive...

liz

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:59 pm

*I* wouldn't use blu-tack. I'm more the Sugru type. (And my bicycle is not electric.)

Lakes

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:12 pm

No sticky feet on the boards please, if people want to do that, they can buy them from Maplins etc.

tufty

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:13 pm

Ah, but with the speed technology is advancing compared to the "good auld days", surely it can only be a matter of hours before you announce the launch of the sugru-mouldable solar powered recumbent yellow dustbin. And, mere minutes after that, it's withdrawal.

Speaking of Clive, did his X-1 ever see the light of day?

liz

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Quote from Lakes on October 24, 2011, 15:12
No sticky feet on the boards please, if people want to do that, they can buy them from Maplins etc.

I suspect we'll be including them in the box, but not sticking them on for you. Just think! You'll have four free sticky feet you can use on…something else!

Lakes

Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Quote from tufty on October 24, 2011, 15:13
Ah, but with the speed technology is advancing compared to the "good auld days", surely it can only be a matter of hours before you announce the launch of the sugru-mouldable solar powered recumbent yellow dustbin. And, mere minutes after that, it's withdrawal.

Speaking of Clive, did his X-1 ever see the light of day?The Sinclair Dusty Bin?

Ampix0

Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Quote from liz on October 24, 2011, 13:56

I feel like you need a rubber matt instead. I may be wrong but keep the board floating closely above metal might collect static electricity which will discharge at some point and kill it.

abishur

Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:06 pm

Lucky for us hobbyists, most of us have some ESD bags lying around that we could cut down to the right size if we wanted to the the Altoids tin case ;)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Ampix0

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:41 pm

Quote from abishur on October 24, 2011, 20:06
Lucky for us hobbyists, most of us have some ESD bags lying around that we could cut down to the right size if we wanted to the the Altoids tin case ;)
Wow i actually just threw one out like last week -.- damn it. Time to buy/return a GFX card. XD jk...maybe

RoDuS

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:31 pm

anything/everything, my first case will prob be lego's! Atari 2600 controller!. I have a hollow plastic battle tank, great for my son, or one of the many music playing/light blinking children toy trucks/cars. I saw some one recommended a plastic model car kit, I had the same idea except the metal replica cars/trucks. external usb hd case, plaster molds come in everything from skulls to kittens. some small pieces of wood a little paint (and an eye for perfection) Dr WHO Tardis! (Hmmm, lego tardis!) with all the usb dongles hidden inside (or one of the Tardis USB hubs Ive seen) People have talked about inside keyboards (like the gecko surfboard), keyboard w/mouse and/or trackball built in and/or built in hub. Retro computers, example: Timex Sinclair, commodore etc (I think some one already recommended A ZX spectrum, excellent!)... for the wife, A jewelry box with a 7" screen on the inside lid, a jewelry box laptop sort of. Plexiglas. Inside one of those pillow speakers (the kind you hook your mp3 player in w/headphone jack). How bout a big plastic hollow raspberry, lol. Remember the old cardboard slide open box's that came with 1980's pc's? had the 5 1/4 floppy's and manuals in it. The 5 space 3 1/2 hard plastic floppy travel case's? External Iomega zip 100/250 drive, the zip disk case could prob house the Model A (maybe the disk alone). and as for that little thumb-drive size prototype, A Bic lighter...

liz

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:38 pm

I was shopping for presents for the kids of some friends a couple of weeks ago, and naturally gravitated towards the LEGO. (My anniversary present to Eben was the newest addition to the LEGO Architecture Series, on the day it came out…basically, we are eight-year-olds with credit cards.) And I was really horrified at how much LEGO Mindstorms bits and pieces cost. Such a shame - it's a wonderful toy which could inspire and enthuse so many kids, and it's totally out of reach of most families' toy budget. I'd love to see robotics projects with the Raspberry Pi that kids can actually access without having to sell one of their juicy young kidneys - I hope we'll be bringing some breakout boards out next year for pocket-money type sums.

Return to “Other projects”