Re: Cases for the Raspberry Pi

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Raikomaru said:

I'd love to fit it into a keyboard, along with an portable HDD.

This would be the ideal situation, compact and all in one

scotswahey

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:12 pm

I have an old broken amstrad cpc464. Would getting a raspberry to work with an old keyboard be a major task?I work in an electronics lab so getting access to soldering irons and the like isn't an issue I'd just like to know about compatibility issues. I'm probably the least knowledgeable computer technician in the Uk (don't tell my boss). So it'd be nice to know if my geek wish to have a raspberry in my amstrad case is possible or not.

Joules

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:31 pm

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalo.....p-207.html

May need some modification, but kids would love it.

johnnysometimes

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:33 am

Can we all try to rise above case modding please? Just velcro the hardware to the back of your monitor and write some damned code.

Just leave it open and connect some more hardware to it.

What is this obsession with beauty and form? (iPad, MAC Air etc) RasPi is all about function: Can we please get back to computer programming? Shiny toys are not going to save the world....

scotswahey

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:22 am

Yeah because the speccy didn't come in a pretty case?

Benedict White

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 am

johnnysometimes said:

Can we all try to rise above case modding please? Just velcro the hardware to the back of your monitor and write some damned code.

Just leave it open and connect some more hardware to it.

What is this obsession with beauty and form? (iPad, MAC Air etc) RasPi is all about function: Can we please get back to computer programming? Shiny toys are not going to save the world....

Where is retweet or like when you need it? Damn!

tachikoma

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:38 pm

I want a Tux shaped case for it.

There are already some out there for small boards.

abishur

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Every so often on this thread I ask the following question (in the hopes that some of the new forum members might have new knowledge but don't read all 20+ pages of this thread) so here we go again.

With the pi about to be (hopefully) released, there have been a LOT of great and fun suggestions on reusing existing objects to make a case, but does anyone have a good place they've used that will make a custom case in very low quantities (2-3) for under $20 a case?

I've also considered 3D printing, but haven't been able to find a place that actually does it (or advertises how much they'd charge you for doing it)

Any ideas?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

guru
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Abishur said:

I've also considered 3D printing, but haven't been able to find a place that actually does it (or advertises how much they'd charge you for doing it)

Any ideas?

In the UK I can only suggest visiting the FabLab in Manchester (http://www.fablabmanchester.org/) on a Friday or Saturday.

You can use their 3D printer/Laser Cutter/Milling Machine for free on these days. (first come first served)
You pay a modest cost for materials.
You have to learn to design for, and operate the machine yourself.
You must document and report on what you did for the use of the FabLab community.

Hopefully there will be similar less-formal schemes available near you too if Manchester is too far.
You just have to ask the right questions in the right places really.

Tomo2k

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Somebody mentioned http://www.shapeways.com a while ago, either in this thread or somewhere on the front page blog.

It looks fascinating to me.

- The White Strong & Flexible sounds suitable for a snap-fit case or similar.

mobeyduck

Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:13 pm

it has been mentioned

there already are some R-Pi'ers who put some thing up there, Ive seen this mount http://www.shapeways.com/model/401955/ mentioned by the author in this thread as an easy solution to the lack of mounting holes.

and while searching there i find swirlingbrain's http://www.shapeways.com/hisde.....er_id=5937

I cant recal a post about it, it looks good (almost) finished.

Dont really know why there are air holes in it, isn't really needed and it looks rather expensive

Andre_P

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:11 am

As to a case I think the following might be fun for a child to do and reflects the austere times we are in.

1. Buy a large box of matches.

2. Remove matches from the box.

2a. See Below.

3. Bring in child and tell them this is THEIR computer box and they can paint in any way they like.

4. Make coffee, retire with a good book while the CHILD goes wild with the poster paints.

5. Cover box with sticky see through book protector material (you know what I mean, I can't remember it's name).

6. Cut holes for leads in inner box.

7. Take double sided sticky tape (HEY I'm British I grew up with Blue Peter !) and affix board to inner section.

8. Plug in leads.

9. Present to Child.

10. Retire with a good book and a GOOD Single Malt and watch the fun begin.

Ahh yes 2a.

2a Darwinism in action, matches, silly people, you fill in the gaps.

arm2

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:50 am

"7. Take double sided sticky tape (HEY I"m British I grew up with Blue Peter !) and affix board to inner section."

I think you will find it was "sticky backed plastic"!

I remember it as "sticky back plastic" but "sticky backed plastic" makes more sense and google reports confirm it.

lomsdalen

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:02 pm

RobH said:

what about...

How and where would it be possible to order something like this? It was extremly cool

Andre_P

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:03 pm

oh alright .

But I think it would be a great idea for children .

Bootsy

Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:36 pm

Andre_P said:

2a Darwinism in action, matches, silly people, you fill in the gaps.

is this the answer?

MG2R

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:02 pm

Abishur said:

Any ideas?

I'd recommend Shapeways as well. I've just received my first model (a little pendant) and it's fabulous. When you upload your model, you get a direct price quote.

When I get my hands on the R-Pi or a dimensional drawing of the thing, I'm going to design a case myself and put it up for printing at Shapeways. I'll probably offer it to the public at no extra cost!

archanoid

Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:04 pm

I still have my very first computer (an Atari 1200 as pictured) and I'm thinking how I'd love to rig a Pi up inside it and get its keyboard to work with it too. Now, I've never done anything quite like that so it'd be an adventure. Any tips from this crowd are not only welcomed but sought.

spidermike0

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:48 pm

How about mounting it in a Timex Sinclair 1000 case.

That was one of the first computer kit's available.

singapura

Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:09 am

I want to put my Raspi in here. It will probably fit in the bottom.

Jessie

Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:22 am

mobeyduck said: 

Dont really know why there are air holes in it, isn't really needed and it looks rather expensive

Overclocking, some of us are going to push it to the limits just because we can.

Mushroom_Lord

Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:18 pm

I was thinking that just having it bobbing around in a fish tank would be pretty cool, hopefully it will sort of half float half sink (the usb/power etc) cables could help control this floatationness.

I'd just have to find a non-conductive transparent liquid that's the right density

com

Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:50 pm

I heard some one talk about an altiods case. I think I will make one of those and I also am going to use one for a media server built into my dash of my car with monitors for my kids. I am still thinking of other cases.
Com out.

dave3641

Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:21 pm

There"s some good cases on http://www.mini-itx.com
I like the car ones - http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/htpc/
And the teddy bear one shows anything is possible - http://www.mini-itx.com/projec.....teddybear/

Return to “Other projects”