garryg

Re: Cases for the Raspberry Pi

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:17 am

Hmmm, I would have had access to a 3D printer at my old job… unfortunately not now.
Then again if it’s general ‘PEN-STICK’ sized I’m sure there are plenty of cheep and readily available cases out there.

garryg

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:39 am

I’ve got a couple of old hand-held TVs kicking around up the loft somewhere. I don’t think it would take much to modify one of these to take the board, and it should be relatively straight forwards to wire it up to the screen. It would be better in something with a higher-def screen though. My wife has a dead EeePc, but I’m assuming that screen wouldn’t be compatible.

tnelsond

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Quote from liz on September 1, 2011, 11:30
You stand in danger of someone mistaking your computer for a very small sandwich.

Well, it is a raspberry pi, and saran wrap would be a great way to wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Why not make a case that looks like a slice of pie? Surely that would be popular.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:13 pm

might be a bit sticky but it definatley won't get damaged by earthquakes and hurricanes.

thesynapseuk

Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm

You could put it inside a rubber ducky and then use it to control in-bath entertainment like music, video and/or games console if available.

Imagination is getting going here.

[Edit]

I just remembered seeing a solid silver USB stick in the Silver Vaults in Holborn here in London. Now if anybody really wants to 'Pimp their Pi', then that could be a way to go.

'Pimp my Pi'? I see another forum/website coming into existence there.....

Shane Hudson

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:39 pm

R-PI is meant to be for children education and geeky projects.... therefore... lego cases!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 am

Liz: It doesn't have to be a ~very~ big piece of Cadburys Flake, just a couple of - err - flakes.... Then you can eat the rest! However, getting back to the cases themselves, it would be cool to have a gallery of "Pi cases" once you launch, to enable the proud new owners to show off their constructional dexterity!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

thesynapseuk

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:00 am

Quote from Jongoleur on September 2, 2011, 07:47
Liz: It doesn't have to be a ~very~ big piece of Cadburys Flake, just a couple of - err - flakes.... Then you can eat the rest! However, getting back to the cases themselves, it would be cool to have a gallery of "Pi cases" once you launch, to enable the proud new owners to show off their constructional dexterity!

Ah, but maybe that's against the spirit of R-Pi in a way - you should tinker about and make your own!

Oren

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:18 am

Quote from AmyS3 on August 13, 2011, 00:22
i´m making a carbonfibre one for my model b.
thats gonne be looking awesome.
it´s quite easy to do as well.
I thought carbonfibre was terribly expensive. Am I still living in the 1980s? :?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:26 am

Quote from Shane Hudson on September 1, 2011, 19:39
R-PI is meant to be for children education and geeky projects.... therefore... lego cases!

Excellent idea!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Marcus

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Quote from jamesh on September 2, 2011, 09:26
Quote from Shane Hudson on September 1, 2011, 19:39

Excellent idea!
Guess I better find my old bunch of LEGO stuff!

abishur

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Or we could make a custom kit off the lego site complete with instructions and pieces the right shapes/sizes for the various input/output devices...
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Shane Hudson

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:37 pm

Quote from Oren on September 2, 2011, 09:18
Quote from AmyS3 on August 13, 2011, 00:22
i´m making a carbonfibre one for my model b.
thats gonne be looking awesome.
it´s quite easy to do as well.
I thought carbonfibre was terribly expensive. Am I still living in the 1980s? :?

Yes it is expensive, but not if you work in it. I have carbon fibre pieces on my car :) good connections is good!

Shane Hudson

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Quote from abishur on September 2, 2011, 14:23
Or we could make a custom kit off the lego site complete with instructions and pieces the right shapes/sizes for the various input/output devices...

YES!!!! Definitely. Also include a few motors and instructions for getting them working :D

Chris Tyler

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 am

I think the Pi should come in a cardboard box just big enough to hold the board, with lines printed on the outside. You should be able to open it up, remove the board, cut on the dotted lines with an X-acto knife, and then put the board back in, for a cheap basic case. Anything beyond the shipping box is gravy :-)

Plan B: posting a PDF of a fold-here origami case.

Cafe

Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:20 am

Quote from Chris Tyler on September 3, 2011, 02:57
I think the Pi should come in a cardboard box just big enough to hold the board, with lines printed on the outside. You should be able to open it up, remove the board, cut on the dotted lines with an X-acto knife, and then put the board back in, for a cheap basic case. Anything beyond the shipping box is gravy :-)

Simple and elegant. I can't upvote enough the idea of a PDF template.

abishur

Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:38 am

Wow, I think the cardboard box idea is awesome. Especially if I could print out some r-pi graphics to glue to the sides of it!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

iAreNewb

Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:21 am

Cardboard boxes : amazing, just perfect. Considering the R-Pi has to come in something anyways, I'd say that even if it wasn't supported with dotted lines or something, people would still do it.

PDF template : awesome, though a bit inconvenient. It'd require something sturdier than regular printing or lined paper, and a good deal of folding.... I can't fold stuff. It doesn't work for me.

jacoman

Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:51 pm

Quote from thesynapseuk on September 2, 2011, 09:00

Ah, but maybe that's against the spirit of R-Pi in a way - you should tinker about and make your own!

Yeah Have a Look at this, I made my own! I took a cardboard box an Old Picture frame and some bubble wrap and,

Voila!

I Stacked the mesh on top of the bubble wrap on top of the foam
The 2nd Pic is the top with viewing window
The 3rd Is the back, Hole for cables and Ventilation

I Took pics with webcam -thats why you can see reflection

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:00 pm

One* of mine will have a simple case made out of two pieces of varnished marine ply, held apart by polished and lacquered brass gallery strip and secured with brass screws.

"Thats a COMPUTER???".

* I mean, who's only buying one R-Pi? :-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

DanielSilva

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Quote from Chris Tyler on September 3, 2011, 02:57

That is actually a freakin awesome idea ! Add two strips of double sided tape on the package and people can stick it behind their TV's or monitors, stuck them below their tables etc

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Oh, I *do* like that. You guys will be the first to hear once we have dimensions for the final board. I hope some of you are good at papercraft, 'cos I'm certainly not!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Chris

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:31 pm

This may seem a little corny but with all the people wanting to make or have made cases, why dont we focus on a unified design.

You can probably guess what I have just watched.

hajj_3

Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:20 pm

here is a good idea to make a cardbox case: http://www.pistonheads.com/gas.....4&nmt=

The Seinheiser CX 300-ii ECO box is just layers of cardboard with holes cut out, you stack them together and the headphones are inside. You could do this with this board and include 4 stripes of stick tape with non-stick plastic applied and people can stick them themselves.

the cost of such a case would be pennies :)

Return to “Other projects”