vkranendonk

Re: The Alzheimer Radio

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 am

Hi Everyone, I'm doing an internship at the FabLab in Amsterdam. My three month project is to make a system that can help Alzheimer patients and their relatives or friends to get through what is an difficult period for both (care-taker and patient). The system will allow the care-taker to communicate with the patient through music. Music is able to trigger emotions and memories, that can not be reached by talking. This a very rough description, you can read more at the project page.

Now I need your help. My choice is to use the Raspberry Pi platform to create the basic system. This system will allow the care-taker to place an object (with RFID inside) on the radio (with the Raspberry Pi inside), the raspberry Pi should then play audio.

My most important questions right now are these. What is the best way to attach the RFID system to the Raspberry? Can you give recommendation on what a good RFID system is (should be open-source)? How to read it (software, programmatically)?

I have done some work with Arduino before and some programming knowledge (but never on Linux). So see me as an Beginner to Intermediate user.

If there's any dutch people reading this. I would like to host a day where we can put al our knowledge together and create a part of the system. It's for a very good cause and I will also give tour of the FabLab. And it will be fun I think, so let me know if your interested in this?

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

First things first when are you doing this "three month project"? because it's likely to be months from now before the Pi is readilly available so if your project is starting soon you will probablly have to find another soloution.

Gert van Loo

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:25 pm

I still don't understand how the RFID, radio and Rasberry-Pi connect to each other. I tried to look at the diagram on the documentation page but it remains small.

So if you can give us some idea about the interfaces (wires, signals, data exchanged) we can have a better idea of how we can help.

There is already an adapter board which takes a Zigbee module on ebay.

bredman

Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:20 pm

It does look like RFID is a good match. For example an RFID tag attached to a fishing rod would trigger the sound of a stream.

However, I am guessing because it is impossible to find a readable diagram of the system.

vkranendonk

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Plugwash, thanks for that tip. I had the idea it was almost coming out since Farnell took over the production.

Is there another similar device one of you could recommend?

My idea is (or was) now to attach this RFID reader trough the USB to the Raspberry, then read the USB port in my software and when triggered start audio.

Link to bigger picture. Don't know if it's useful. It starts with the care-taker starting the audio with and RFID object or through the smartphone, this is send to Raspberry (or similar device), it then checks the database for the right song and plays it. It is not so much a radio, but a pre-determined playlist. I call it a radio because this device will be inserted into an old radio. Gert, I hope this answers your question a little bit.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:46 pm

vkranendonk said:

Hi Plugwash, thanks for that tip. I had the idea it was almost coming out since Farnell took over the production.

The problem with the Pi is it's been so successfull that even with farnell and RS involved it is likely to be months before it is readily available. Farnell are no longer even taking orders for the moment and are instead just putting up a page for people to "register interest".

Is there another similar device one of you could recommend?

There are similar devices out there, for example the beagleboard but they are considerablly more expensive.

Still you should be able to develop on a beagleboard and move your system to a Pi relatively easilly later for production models.

My idea is (or was) now to attach this RFID reader trough the USB to the Raspberry, then read the USB port in my software and when triggered start audio.

Seems like a good plan, they are using a FTDI usb-serial chip so linux support shouldn't be a problem.

mole125

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:07 pm

If you are using USB then you can start with it juts attached to a normal PC (laptop/netbook) and then add the RPi into a more aesthetic case later.

oninoshiko

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:19 pm

mole125 said:

If you are using USB then you can start with it juts attached to a normal PC (laptop/netbook) and then add the RPi into a more aesthetic case later.

Infact, considering your timeframe, USB would be how I would reccomend attaching RFID readers. As mole125 points out, you can start developing the software now on x86 laptops, then just move it over to the target platform later.

Sound output is provided onboard, so no issues there.

There is the issue of avaliblity in your timeframe though.

Good Luck

merlino3737

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Good luck with your project.  I'm interested in the feasibility of using the pi as a skype device for Alzheimer's care givers and patients to connect to resource providers and others in similar circumstances.  Settlements are far flung where I live and experts are thin on the ground.

Such a device would have to be appliance like and inexpensive enough to give away.

Similar devices are available for $200 but I'd like the finished price to be in the $50 range and use an existing tv remote to navigate on screen.  I don't know whether this will be doable and I am willing to wait for events to unfold before moving on the idea.

kghunt

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 pm

I work with RFID readers for work and they generally communicate using wiegand, clock and data, ttl and rs232. For your purposes I would use an rs232 Mifare reader and just read the card serial number (csn or uid). Using any of the others would take a lot of effort to get them communicating reliably. Mifare is a good choice as the readers are cheap and so are the cards. I found a site the other day where you can get an embedded Mifare reader for 15 dollars. A serial reader should just pass its uid/can straight to the comm port so you can compare it against a database or store it in a variable.

Angelique Kerkhoffs

Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:33 am

Anyone still active here,
I’m a newbie and rather interested in this subject as I’m researching Raspberry Pi in Game Based Learning and am
developing Individualized Applications for Alzheimer's Patients and Patients with Vascular Dementia, based on the Embodied Cognition Learning Theory.

Since I was invited to 2012 FrontTEL Advanced Summer School at Tor Vergata Universita in Rome because of research on Creating a Personalized Learning Environments to Empower Alzheimer's Patients resulting in a Virtual Learning Environment for Involuntary Learners:
Alzheimer's Patients and Patients with Vascular Dementia.

Return to “Other projects”