C4B7

Re: Injection Molded Case!

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:58 am

I've been super excited ever since I heard about the Raspberry Pi in January. ( I know, I'm late to the game.) But I've been really excited about what a great opportunity this is for open hardware and usable computers for everyone. One thing I haven't seen much of are mass producible case ideas. There are the LEGO, mint tins, and 3D printer but no one seems to want to give a mass produced injection molded case to the masses. That's what I plan on doing.

I know there is going to be a case this fall, but as we can see from the pre-sales we Raspberry Pi enthusiasts are very eager. I'm working on a few designs right now, looking at different plastics and trying to keep the costs below $15 shipped.

I'm a mechanical engineer and I package electronics for my day job. I thought it would be great to give something to the world in my own little open source way.

The expensive parts are the tooling for the molds and the shipping, especially internationally. The more people that get the case the less it costs. I can probably get cases made by the time all the beta boards start shipping.

If you're interested let me know.

ceramicsaturn

Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm interested. I need a case asap, and this sounds like a good fit.

Tijok

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:57 am

Hey C4B7,

I'm doing similar work now, and would love to help out where ever possible. Do you have some designs worked out now?

I think most people are avoiding molded parts because of initial capital needs, are you planning on a kickstarter or something for this? I sure know I couldn't front any injection molds or machines!

C4B7

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:34 am

I am planning a kickstarter. There is a $2000-$3000 tooling cost up front. I've figured we'll need around 300 people to pre-order. The shipping is  a bit tricky too.

C4B7

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:47 am

I'm not use to rendering things. I thought shadows might make it look more real.

This case has a bottom that is able to be a stand-alone mounting bracket for any custom case. It has screw holes / key slots to mount on the wall. The RPi is attched with clips on stands so there is no chance of it shorting out when set on something.

I plan on doing a white or black, possibly both. If enough people like this or give feedback I'll make some more.

pacman

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:22 am

I think both cases look great, and I'd prefer white, but if you choose black, no problem.

So White Model B: +1.

AshleyD

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 am

This sounds like a great idea. I've not yet ordered a Pi but will be doing so shortly, and this case looks perfect.

+1

bushrat

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:45 am

Awesome!!! This is another great example of a small business(very small) that started because of the Pi. And to you sir, you are awesome, I tip my hat to you

But down to the case, they both look really cool, but I think the first 1 in white, with maybe a Raspberry Pi sticker on top(for branding sake) would just look great. And a great idea to add screw holes for wall mounting. When I order my Pi, this will shortly follow

Good luck with your other 299 pre orders

steviewevie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Yes please !

itsonlyme

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 pm

Another yes.

White preferred, but black/red/green or even orange with pink stripes will do.

Montala

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:51 pm

A bright red one (Ferrari red!) would look good!

... and if shipping to the UK was reasonable, I would also buy one.

C4B7

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm planning on shipping world wide. It does cost a bit more though. If anyone knows of a good way to ship things cheaply please let me know.

The first batch will be white, subsequent batches will be other colors based on demand.

Dan92

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:09 pm

Will this case be able to connect to the standard monitor mounting?? i believe its called VESA its 100mm square. i wish to mount the Rpi on the back of my monitor when i eventually get one.

Also RED or any other BRIGHT colour would be a great! even though i wont see mine much i would enjoy some thing flashy,

More to the point the Rpi is aimed at younger persons who might find white or black boring

razoreye

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi There - absolutely fantastic idea as I've been having the same thoughts around a design of a casing. I know the tooling can be costly but worth it in the long run - Kickstarter is a good idea but not currently available from UK (US only) so looking at other more european services to provide this level of investment.

Some good ideas coming out here though for the useability so glad to share my thoughts too

C4B7

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:49 pm

I can look into it. I could get the mounting holes to fit the VESA MIS-D, 100/75, C. I wouldn't recommend having it between the wall and the monitor though.

There is always the option of velcro tape stuck to the back if you are a DIY type person.

I do understand it would be nice to have a unit that seamlessly mounts to your monitor/TV. My design right now is 63mm x 91mm, I'd have to cover the audio/RCA connectors  and only have the HDMI connector visible which would reduce the appeal to some people.

C4B7

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:57 pm

razoreye said:

Kickstarter is a good idea but not currently available from UK (US only) so looking at other more european services to provide this level of investment.

Any recommendations that work world wide? I could do indiegogo or even google checkout/paypal. I wanted to use a method that i could easily give people back their money if we didn't get enough pre-orders. I'm trying to talk with element14 to get in their distribution network but it looks like I'll need to form an actual business to get noticed.

iaston

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Sign me up too please C4B7

HansH

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:59 pm

C4B7 said:

This case has a bottom that is able to be a stand-alone mounting bracket for any custom case. It has screw holes / key slots to mount on the wall. The RPi is attched with clips on stands so there is no chance of it shorting out when set on something.

I plan on doing a white or black, possibly both. If enough people like this or give feedback I'll make some more.

Glad to see somebody is looking into molded cases...

I am not sure how you place the pcb inside it, on all sides of the pcb the connectors are sticking out.  Can you explain ?

Anyway a white one would be nice.

C4B7

Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:41 pm

HansH said:

I am not sure how you place the pcb inside it, on all sides of the pcb the connectors are sticking out.  Can you explain ?

HansH,

I'm still working on where the two case halves will meed up. Right now the only connector sticking out of the case is the RCA and Audio jacks. When assembling you'll have to be careful attaching to the bottom. I plan on having instructions on a web page giving detailed instructions on how to assemble the case (all three steps).

HansH

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:51 pm

also the usb power and the hdmi connector (but only 1mm)

See Gert mechanics measurements...

shanesanders

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:00 pm

I'd be interested. Hope you are able to get funding.

Also, I'd like to offer you an idea that might give your product an edge over whatever official case eventually comes out: If you provided tiny threaded screw holes in the top and bottom corners, it would make it possible for a cottage industry to emerge around the idea of custom 'skins' for the boxes (via Etsy or other similar sites).

Lots of people can hand-make simple slabs of plastic, metal, or wood that would provide fun ways to decorate your functional box. Artists might use wood-burning techniques, some folks might just go for simple plastic colors with a nice beveled edge, and some crazy-cool folks might make a lid that looks like Han Solo in carbonite (I saw a jello mold of this recently on eBay). Lots of fun things could happen and it would all be interchangable.

viciouspenguin

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:51 pm

I'm intersted, it would be usefull to have a full enclosing moulded case.
FishPi: An autonomous drop In the Ocean.

C4B7

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 am

shanesanders, If you can find anyone to make a blender model of Han Solo in carbonite I'll make sure it will hold the RPi and I'll share the .stl file with the world for free.

crundy

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:44 am

I'd also be interested. Are you going to do a 3D print of the design first to make sure everything fits before creating the production hardware?

Joules

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:06 am

We have a small injection moulder, and am playing with recycled plastic milk cartons, as our local council won"t recycle them.

By the way sticking them through the dish washer with the pots cleans them a treat if you cut the carton in half first.

We are also experimenting with extrusion so the cartons can be turned into fibre suitable for a RepRap. ( you need a LOT of cartons)

Return to “Other projects”