bwriter

Re: Portable karaoke machine

Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm

I can imagine taking this on holiday as a portable karaoke machine. I can see how to hook it up to a TV set, a portable sound system and a small mixer. But how about software to run the karaoke tracks. Anyone else thinking about this?

pigsy

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:42 am

vlc media player will run CDG mp3's on my pc and is my default karaoke player so it should work on fedora

technopagan

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:07 pm

That's exactly my plan too but as a backup machine for my karaoke business, let me know how you get on and I'll do the same. My order went in today so I have still 10 weeks to wait :-(

iggykoopa

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 pm

looks like performous is in the repos, you could give that a shot.

luan0ma

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 am

Hi all, i just got my first R-pi. I am also thinking to make karaoke out of it. luckily found this post. Seems it is half a year old post. So I wonder if anyone has made it working or just new updates. Anyone?

matt@shagshaw.com

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 pm

Hiya

There is an excellent karaoke program available, called pykaraoke. It comes with a gui and/or command line interface.

it can be installed via `sudo apt-get install pykaraoke', but I tried that and it failed to install a lot of dependencies, so I gave up, even after some excellent help from the pykaraoke author.

If anyone who knows more than I do (nothing !!!) about the apt repositories and dependencies etc....could get this sorted, I would be very appreciative. I wanted tio get this going on my raspi in car project, I already have video, mp3, photo gallery and remote control in the car, karaoke would also be awesome !!!!

Anyway, check out the pykaraoke website at www.kibosh.org/pykaraoke

Post if you manage to get it work or want to help !!!!

Regards

Matt

luan0ma

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:50 pm

thanks for your tip. I will look into it and keep you update.

dextrus

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

I have just tried installing it (pykaraoke) using apt-get and it worked just fine! It comes with a desktop and a command-line version. Works very well. I am using the latest Raspbian.

Now how to get sound from the microphone out to the TV while simultaneously playing the track?

I can do the first:

arecord -D plughw:1,0 -f dat | aplay -f dat

However there is a bit of a delay.

The big trouble is when something else tries to play (i.e. pykaraoke). It all goes South at this point. Anyone more familiar with the sound setup of the Pi care to help?

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com

matt@shagshaw.com

Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Hey

Thanks dextrus, did an apt-get update, followed by an apt-get upgrade, then did apt-get install pykaraoke and worked perfectly........

@dextrus......sorry about before

dextrus

Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 am

matt@shagshaw.com wrote:Hey

Thanks dextrus, did an apt-get update, followed by an apt-get upgrade, then did apt-get install pykaraoke and worked perfectly........

@dextrus......sorry about before
Apology gratefully accepted! I'm not after your money!

dextrus

Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:06 pm

I have got a bit further with the microphone pass-through.

Firstly I tried writing a program using python and pyaudio. While I can record and play back sound simultaneously, the playback of the recorded sound is very choppy (there is minimal lag however!). This isn't really surprising as all the program is doing is sampling a chunk of data from the microphone (512 bytes by default) and then playing it on the sound card.. It sounds "choppy" because it's chopped up!

One good thing though, is I can play back an additional sound at the same time and this comes out clearly. Source-code available if anyone wants. So choppy voice but clear playback of music.

A faster solution came with alsaloop. You'll need to install the alsa-tools (sudo apt-get install alsa-tools). Using this we can "bridge" the input device to the sound card:

Code: Select all

alsaloop -C hw:1,0 -P hw: 0,0 -c 1  -t 20000
This tells alsaloop that the capture device is on hw:1,0 (it probably is if you plugged in a USB mic), the playback is 0,0 (which it also probably is, but you can check with aplay -l and record -l for capture). I have set a latency in this example of 20000 ms, much less than that and you do start to get underruns (but it also seems to perform! Try it with a latency of 1000. Other than the errors on screen, it seems to be achieving this?!

You can run alsaloop as a daemon with -d and this works fine too.

So, almost immediate and clean playback of microphone input in the background...

Even better.. we can now playback another sound using aplay or VCN player from the desktop (yes, you can happily run the desktop). This works too!... UNTIL that sound finishes. Then ALSA or something seems to crash, taking out the audio until reboot.

So we're almost there in terms of karaoke functionality.

I'm going to look into this further as PyKaraoke is actually just a trio of python modules and could be a very flexible option. But there are alternatives.

XBMC supports karaoke files and apparently has pass-through microphone capability. Will test tonight on OpenELEC and XBian.
There is also a plugin for XBMC which looks promising, called Mikey's Karaoke which I will also test.

There are also a number of other packages:

OSD Lyrics. A desktop app that plays just the lyrics Karaoke-style. This is probably still going to leave me with the current problem of mic pass-through and additional music playback.
Performous.
Ultrastar (looks like a compile from source job here).

Anyone seen any others worth looking at?

/Dextrus

dextrus

Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:38 am

XBMC says it "could" support pass-through audio input, but I can't see anything anywhere. The subject seems to be being actively avoided.

Still, if we can get the above working without crashing, job's almost done (pass-through audio running as a daemon), especially with the plug-in I mentioned, Mikey's Karaoke for XBMC. Granted, you do need an internet connection (I think), but I was amazed at the stuff on Youtube and they seem to have thousands of "regular" karaoke disks too. A bit of a pain to install though (you need to download the repo from "Mikey", copy the file across to the Pi, install it, then browse that under XBMC to install the app).

So we're getting there. Celine Dion here we come.

dellycatessen

Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:40 am

Has anyone managed to get any further with compiling ultrastar deluxe? My code savvy friend and Ihave had a go but had no luck.

ageeser

Wed May 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Where does one get CDG mp3's files?

bwriter

Sat May 04, 2013 10:01 am

ageezer
Are you looking for mp3 files, cdg files or both?
I generally download an mp3 if I can from places like Amazon, Karaoke Version et al.
I generate my own cdg files with software called Karaoke Builder Studio.

dextrus

Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Since the latest firmware update, things have got a little bit better. Check out my blog for a Karaoke solution of sorts. I think it works rather well.

http://www.pi-fun.com/index.php/blog/de ... revisited/

/Dextrus

Return to “Other projects”