djyorkie

Re: need some advice on raspi radio station

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:45 pm

hi all.

i have recently started a project of building an online radio station with a tight budget.

The plan is to build the station using just £45 in 45 days, and that is to include hardware, software, web space, streaming... basically everything.

so far, i have managed to gain a domain name, web space, a bunch of professional jingles, and help from a site in building an android app to also listen.

website is currently under construction, but can be found here http://radioshoestring.co.uk

total outlay so far has been £1.17

now, I am planning on using a pi as a hub for the station, mainly because its small, and its low power consumption and low noise means i can have it running on auto 24/7 and just plugging it into my tv to do the occasional live shows.

i have set up streaming radio before using things like shoutcast, and running shows through things like traktor, but using the pi, i can see me having a few headaches.

this is where i hope i can get some help off the people on this forum...

I am not very knowledgable in linux, and setting up a dj mixer that can run live or automated, and streaming out is causing me a bit of a headache so far... has anyone any experience of the type of software that would run on the pi system?

any reccomendations?

once i can get the mixer/player and the streaming sorted out, and ready, then i will be a lot happier.

any help greatly appreciated.

cheers in advance

dj yorkie

Lynbarn

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Welcome to the forum, djyorkie.

£45 and 45 days? An interesting concept. When does the countdown start? The Raspberry Pi will be in short supply to start with, and you will have less than a one in ten chance of getting one from the first batch, so it could be some weeks before you actually get hold of one.

There are various threads on the different Linux distros, I suggest you search through some of those (use the Google search on the home page - it will probably give better results that the forum search button.) or search generally for shoutcast, traktor etc.

Good luck!

djyorkie

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:55 pm

my first part of the project, getting hold of the web space, happened on monday (20th feb) so i am taking that as my first day lol.

i have been keeping a note of when things have been happening on the project, and will be putting a diary onto the website very soon, so people can follow its progress.

i have been looking around at the various dj programmes that claim to run on linux, but not having anything they can run on just yet, it is all guess work.

thanks for the tip though, i am certainly going to have to do some crash course study if i am going to get this working.

as for timescale on getting an RPi, I do hope i can lay my hands on one in the next 3-4 weeks. as long as i have everything else in place ready, it should just be a matter of loading it up with the relevent chosen software, and away it goes.

i have fished an old hard drive out of the attic, which i am currently filling with mp3's, and jingles, and i am working at trimming the dead space of the start and ends of the tracks, so they mix better. still lots to do though.

djyorkie

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:05 pm

found a lot of useful tools on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.....nd_Add-Ons so hope some of these will hit the right spots, and work without too much trouble.

in the dj section, i am thinking of trying mixxx, it does have a windows distribution as well, so it will give me a chance to test it out, and get the hang of it, before i get my pi.

samgray111

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 am

Its been a while since I tried any radio software in Linuxso i cant remember how demanding it is but you may want to have a look at rivendell its fairly complete, if a bit of a pain to work with sometimes

dennisMe

Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Hey DJ,

you may want to try setting everything up in a virtual machine in stead of playing with Windows versions first.
The advantage is you gain experience on the target platform (almost) and are not limited to stuff that is available on both platforms.

I read somewhere around here that there is a complete VM image downloadable which you can set up almost as if you have your R-Pi in hands. Then all you would have to do is copy the virtual SD image onto a real card and plug it in once your R-Pi arrives.

Return to “Other projects”