CuraHack

Re: Raspberry Pi Developers Forge Site

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Everyone!

I've always missed a place where developers can share their work related to this project, this forum is nice, but way to simple. I was looking for something like a SourceForge (forge) dedicated to the Raspberry Pi project. So I decided to start one myself.

Find it here on: https://www.rpi-developers.com

The site is based upon the opensource forge called fusionforge. But I've personally made some modifications to it, including a Content Delivery Network for all project files. This would allow users to choose a mirror close to them. Currently we have 2 mirrors (NL and FR) and we are hoping to expand our network soon! Currently mirrors mirror every 30 minutes, so files uploaded will be quickly spread worldwide.

I've created a Official Raspberry Pi project with the official Debian image in it, if one of the project's managers/admins would sign up and contact me I'll hand over the project to them. Here's the project: link.

Known issues:

Email is marked as spam? (check your spam).
FTP and Mailing lists aren't yet functional.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it, please sign up! Feedback is always welcome!

BigPete

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Good idea!

CuraHack

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:40 am

BigPete said:

Good idea!

Thank you!

Update: 3rd mirror added in Miami, Florida (US).

Example: https://rpi-developers.com/frs/download ... 2-2012.zip

Also busy with the implementation of an automatic redirection system to the closest mirror, will keep you posted on the progress…

bbramble

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:15 am

CuraHack said:

Known issues:

You're possibly being tagged as spam because a) the domain is new and b) I don't think you have SPF records set up.

PM me if you need help.

Shorack

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:23 pm

CuraHack said:

Known issues:

FTP and Mailing lists aren't yet functional.

Anyway, I hope you guys like it, please sign up! Feedback is always welcome!

My browser mistrusts your certificate.

Isn't it possible that most of your mail arrives in spam when mail servers try to establish a secure connection and cannot verify your certificate?

Just a guess, not really a network/mail expert.

Anyway, i like the initiative, thanks for doing this.

bbramble

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Shorack said:

Isn't it possible that most of your mail arrives in spam when mail servers try to establish a secure connection and cannot verify your certificate?

Just a guess, not really a network/mail expert.

Anyway, i like the initiative, thanks for doing this.

Not likely to have any affect on email - server to server does not use certificates (SMTP is one of my specialities), but it's a good catch - there are sources of valid, free certificates out there so it is probably getting hold of one.

CuraHack

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:33 pm

bbramble said:

You're possibly being tagged as spam because a) the domain is new and b) I don't think you have SPF records set up.
PM me if you need help.

I'll look in to that in a moment, thanks for the tip!

Shorack said:

My browser mistrusts your certificate.
I brought that certificate so it should be trusted, I've yet to find out why (some browsers) mistrust it...

Shorack

Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Hmm, before my browser (compiled chromium) was not able to check revocation status.

But now it seems fine, so that issue is solved apparently.

CuraHack

Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Great update!

I've done allot of work on the RPi-Developers.com site, the site now doesn't just have mirrors, but now automatically selects the best/fastest mirror based upon your location. Aside from that you can also manually select a mirror.

Now when you click on a file you will get a page with a countdown timer (5 seconds), and then the download will automatically begin, very much like SourceForge.

We also have a textbox which allows you to copy/paste the download link into a terminal (or whatever) to download in on another device.

We currently have 3 mirrors, and we are looking forward to expand our CDN, if anyone here is willing to sponsor or share us some resources we would be very grateful!

So if you haven't yet, please take a look and register at RPi-Developers!

Thank you!

Shorack

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:22 am

Any updates on this?

I have the impression that it is down for over a week now.

CuraHack

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi,

Well, we had a complete data loss due to a problem with our provider, which caused a 3 day downtime, after that downtime we rebuilt the whole site from the ground up, improving the interface and some code (which runs in the background).

But all is back now, we hope to see activity soon enough!

We'll will be adding another mirror in the US soon when there's more traffic on the site. Also check/test the download page, I've re-written that page, which now generates MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-256 hashes.

I'm interested in your feedback! Thank you all!

Return to “Other projects”