crh23

Re: Fan Control

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:21 pm

I was pondering: could the raspberry pi be used, in tandem with the Gertboard or the like, be used as a dynamic fan controller for another PC, feeding off the 5v and 3v3 rails in the hosts Power supply? Or will it not be able to easily handle analog (temp. sensors and actual control)? Sorry if this is thick.

crh23

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:01 pm

Yes, but no.

The RPi needs to boot, during which time the fan is uncontrolled.
You would need a large amount of other components to drive the fan, sense temperatures etc. Even with a Gertboard you would have to design and build the sensors.
It's over-powered. It could regulate the temperature to within 1 degree, but why, in view of point 1, would you want to?
Hidden away in the PC case, nobody gets to see how clever you are, so it isn't any good even as an ego thing.
It would cost over £50, maybe over £100.

Since you have to build some electronics anyway, using a microcontroller like a small PIC or and AVR would be almost as easy to design and would produce a better result.

It is a valid project, using the RPi will work, but I think with a little more thought you could come up with something that is a better fit to the capabilities of the board.

Tomo2k

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm afraid I agree with rurwin here.

Most modern motherboards have multiple fan controllers with associated temperature sensors built-in - have a look in your BIOS for the settings.

Also, cooling fan speed control is a pretty simple thing - a thermistor, set-point potentiometer, op-amp and transistor is about it.

So while you could easily build a fan speed controller using an RPi, I'm absolutely certain you can come up with a much cooler* project.

*See what I did there? Yeah, I'll get my coat...

Gert van Loo

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 pm

"Here I am, a brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to control a fan!"

arm2

Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Gert said:

"Here I am, a brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to control a fan!"

ROTFLMAO

Return to “Other projects”