+ wifi

+ battery

Q1 does such a device already exist in another form

Q2 would there be a way to assemble such a thing

singapura

Re: "pocket server"

Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:24 am

A1, yes

A2 I think it wouldn't be too difficult.

As a matter of fact I've been looking at a way to do that for some time now. The main issue is battery life. There are plenty of cases that would fit a RasPi and Harddrive.

flipdewaf

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:01 am

This is what I plan on doing:

Raspi+

Dismantled 10 port powered USB hub

USB slots inside case

1.Powers Pi

2.1.8" drive (ex ipod style not SSD)

3.CF card slot

4.Mini WiFi stick

5.Bluetooth for mini Keyboard

6.Maybe GPS if I can learn how to make it work.

All these things will be de-shelled and resoldered in to take up as little room as possible (don't need USB sockets and plugs if things are permenant)

Other USB Ports will be external as when they will be needed.

It will be wrapped in a folded stainless steel case with perhaps a window or grill on it, make it sturdy.

I will add a battery pack that can be "clipped on" when needed (rechargeable of course).

Its major use for me will be as a "smart" harddrive for me when I want to put photos on it when in the field (hence CF slot) but of course it will be used as a little media station and to learn programming.

Fred

bredman

Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Fred,

Do you really need a CF slot? I assume that you plan to copy files from a camera. If this is the case, you could use a USB cable to mount the camera.

By using a USB cable, you would create a project which will work with almost any camera, from a cheap smartphone to a high-end DSLR.

I assume that you are going completely headless without a keyboard or monitor while in the field. In this case, I would wait for a new drive to be mounted, search for any new files in the DCIM directory, and rsync the files to the RPi hard disk.

If you get this working, this would be a fantastic project to write up on the wiki. We are very short of ideas for completely headless projects.

flipdewaf

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:22 pm

bredman said:

Hi Fred,

Do you really need a CF slot? I assume that you plan to copy files from a camera. If this is the case, you could use a USB cable to mount the camera.

By using a USB cable, you would create a project which will work with almost any camera, from a cheap smartphone to a high-end DSLR.

I don't really want to have the camera out of action while the pictures are copying, the world doesn't stand still while I stand around fiddling.

I assume that you are going completely headless without a keyboard or monitor while in the field. In this case, I would wait for a new drive to be mounted, search for any new files in the DCIM directory, and rsync the files to the RPi hard disk.

I was thinking that I Would have a button to say that I was ready to copy from CF to the HDD and it would do its thing. I wouldn't want it to try and download evertime I plugged something in, I may well be using it for something different at the time.

If you get this working, this would be a fantastic project to write up on the wiki. We are very short of ideas for completely headless projects.

I am not really up on programming and things (only used Linux a few times on my friends computer) I did do programming at uni a few years back but this was generally mathematical modelling (I'm an engineer) so I know its all fairly logical and thats the way that my brain works so writing a wiki as I go may well be good for me.

Fred

maven

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi,
I"m also thinking about headless with battery, but I don"t know one very important thing. How will the battery report its state(voltage, or mAh remaining) to the rpi?

ceti331

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:41 pm

ok thanks;

of course my intention is a pocket server that you can still plug into monitor & keyboard when at home which of course the existing product doesn't do.

ceti331

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:41 pm

ok thanks;

of course my intention is a pocket server that you can still plug into monitor & keyboard when at home which of course the existing product doesn't do.

bredman

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:18 pm

ceti331 said:

The RPi does support a monitor and keyboard.

maven

Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:42 pm

bredman said:

ceti331 said:

The RPi does support a monitor and keyboard.

I believe he meant that the Seagate which is linked in post 2("the existing product") doesn't support a monitor & keyboard

PiOfCube

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Hi,
I"m also thinking about headless with battery, but I don"t know one very important thing. How will the battery report its state(voltage, or mAh remaining) to the rpi?

If you plan to use lithium ion batteries, that might be extremely difficult.

I might be totally wrong but if IIRC, those keep their supply constant until they are about flat so you can't judge by the electrical characteristics of the battery.

Edit: Quoted wrong post... weird LOL
- 1BillionHex aka PiOfCube: 68719476738 -

maven

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:58 pm

Well I am able to see the voltage of the battery(LiIon) of my phone, and my laptop, so it"s not flat, but they are designed to report their voltage by the OEM. I don"t know much about hardware, so for me it"s a mystery how they do it exactly, but they do it. A 3.7V LiIon cell is 4.2 volts when full, and around 3.4 when the integrated circuit kicks in, and shuts it off(to prevent cell damage from full discharge)
Someone who knows more about electronics can say exactly how, and is it relatively easy to implement.
Maybe, and this is my imagination speaking, we could achieve at least a low battery warning by using a logic gate, which turns on at certain voltage, and sends a signal to a GPIO pin.
Most probably there will be some soldering required, but I"ve been thinking about learning how to solder, and I think this is a good occasion

Lob0426

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:25 am

#1 use smart batteries such as the Sony camcorder batteries. There has been numerous uses of these batteries in Linux hacked systems. there should be information and drivers available to display charge left. There are mount trays available on the Internet for them, or at least there used to be. You can set them in series. You will need a regulator to make it all work.

There are USB to SATA cables that will work just fine for the 1.8" drive. You may have to use external power to the USB hub for it to work best.

This project is doable with some forethought, and you have a good start so far. Research the power regulator and go high end, not a 7805. Many of the items can be found at Ebay or one of the electronic supply houses. The soldering should not be too bad.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

fdufnews

Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:41 pm

maven said:

Hi,

usually laptop batteries use SMBus interface to give informations on battery level it is a 2 wire bus like I²C

Return to “Other projects”