wardy

Re: qudrocopter UAV drone

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:31 pm

Personally, I'd recommend using something like an Xmos cpu / board. They parallel process and have multiple hardware threads + the ability to "time" control all IO pins.

I have ordered a Raspberry Pi for the same type of project... I also have an Xmos board... The Raspberry will be used for the ground control / comms... The Xmos board for the onboard stabilisation / flying.

misja

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi,

I have been reading into quadrocoptors with much interest. My initial idea was also to use the raspberry pi to control the machine. But I realised that this is not fully achievable. But now I am questioning the following solution. I want to build a quadrocopter with one of the available control boards, e.g. an aerocopter. But instead of connecting the board to a wireless receiver which receives the elevation, thrust, rudder, etc commands from the Transmitter, connect the raspberry pi GPIO to these pins.
I would like to equipt the raspberry with a wifi-USB stick and a USB-webcam.
Next I would like to write the software to control the copter using wifi and stream the video stream realtime back over wifi. The eventual idea is to create a smartphone app to control the copter with on the background of the app the realtime stream from the webcam.

My doubts are whether it is possible to directly connect the GPIO pins to the ele,thr,ail and Rudd pins meant for the receiver. I assume the receiver will do PWM. I do not think the Raspberry will do this out of the box, but that I need an extra board in between, am I correct?

Cheers,

Misja

Vavooon

Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Hi to all.
I have the same idea (RPi as an secondary controller and Arduino-based board for primary flight control).
Please write everybody who wants to cooperate.

lastsurvivor

Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:27 pm

I also have such a plan. Contact me Vavoon

crashm1

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 pm

hi i am looking to controle a rcaircraft and am interested i controling throttle, rudder, elevator, and other surfaces durring flight in real time. i know nothing so i need some help here. ask me about welding i know that.
thanks patrick

crashm1

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm

hi so i was on youtube watching a vidio of a fellow runing his car with what looked like his mobil phone.
he had forward and reverse along with the accelerater functions. looked like an apple phone.

Return to “Other projects”