EricMiddleton

Re: Simple and Cheap PDAs

Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:48 am

I'm going to be making some PDAs using the RPi when they come out. I am planning on making two of them, one with a camera and one without. Right now I'm figuring out what parts I'll need and I will order them before the RPi's are released. I was discussing the screen here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....screen-lcd. I am going to post pictures and other information as I work on these in case anybody else wants to make them.

The PDA with the camera is going to be designed for augmented reality (scanning for motion, getting information about whereabouts, object recognition, ect.). I will be making a quadrocopter, also based on the RPi, that will take aerial video and relay it to the PDA, allowing you to also track objects from the air.

The PDA without the camera is designed for schools as an alternative study tool. The first version is going to be used in a math class at my high school and I am going to do an experiment to see if the technology helps the students learn (by a noticeable margin). I am going to make a couple simple learning games that utilize the familiar touch-screen interface, and then make a VERY simple game/quiz editor so that teachers can make their own games. I might eventually use an RPi as a 'base station' that would allow all the PDAs to interact, possibly linking up to a TV or projector. My school also has Smart Boards, so I might work those in as well.

The point of this thread is to help other people out who might be making something like this. I have never made anything this complicated before, and I have already realized that it is going to be very difficult. Feel free to include your own ideas, suggestions, comments, or anything else you want to share.

Eric

EricMiddleton

Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:08 am

I have drafted a very preliminary Bill of Materials for the PDA here. Please add any suggestions to it if you have any. Total cost sits at $116 (assuming a $10 case) and only $106 if you use your own case. Shipping prices are not included.

patolin

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:15 am

The idea is great! there are a couple of linux based math tools (like octave) that can be compiled for the r-pi. But the complicated thing that I see is the screen. You cant use a iphone screen easily (correct me if im wrong).

I will try to help you searching one
Patricio Reinoso - www.patolin.com

EricMiddleton

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:24 am

Yeah, I might end up using the Nokia N8 screen, which is higher quality, but about twice as expensive. It apparently uses the DSI link, which makes a direct connection possible.

HansH

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 am

Well it would be interesting to see if a touchscreen can be connected directly using the DSI link. I even can think of a dedicated RasPi  application server with a touchscreen on top of it for input without having a keyboard attached to it....

TrevorF

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Suggest: bear in mind that touchscreens (esp. Capacitive ones0 and calibration are not trivial either.

Return to “Other projects”