reewas

Raspberry pi 3B+ board DXF file

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:43 am

I have searched for pi 3B+ board DXF file but was only able to find DXF file for pi 3B and 4B.
I am trying to make an acrylic layered case where the dimension and position of components need to be precise, I have looked into the pdf version of the board (mechanical drawing) but that was not helpful for my case.

Link to the PDF file
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... 3bplus.pdf

Link to mechanical drawing
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry pi 3B+ board DXF file

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 am

If it's not on the mechanical drawings page then it has not yet been released. It's simply a matter of finding the time to do it rather than not being willing to do it. I'll ping the HW guy and see what can be done.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:15 am

It won't be quite as precise as one exported directly from the PCB software would be, but it is possible to create a DXF from a PDF using inkscape. The following in the procedure I used when I last needed to do this.

Import the pdf page into inkscape.

Use object-ungroup and path->split path to break the diagram down into individual lines (Otherwise totally unrelated lines can be part of the same path)

Copy and paste the diagram of interest into a new inkscape document. (possiblly not nessacery in this particular case, since the diagram is already on it's own on the page rather than being surrounded by unrelated crap).

Use the toolbar to measure the locations in mm of two objects (e.g. the pick lines of a dimension marker) that will establish the scale and subtract to find the distance between them.

Calculate the scale factor needed to convert the diagram to 1:1 scale by dividing the expected distance between the objects by the distance measured on the diagram. Multiply this scale factor by 100 to convert it to a percentage.

Select the whole diagram, set the toolbar units to percent and turn on the aspect ratio lock.

Enter your percentage scale factor using the toolbar and press enter to rescale.

Save the file from inkscape as a dxf with mm units.

scruss

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:12 am

plugwash wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:15 am
It won't be quite as precise as one exported directly from the PCB software would be, but it is possible to create a DXF from a PDF using inkscape. The following in the procedure I used when I last needed to do this.
I think they might be looking for 3D DXF if they're designing a built-up case. I did get a remarkably accurate 3D STEP model of a 3B (not plus, sorry) from a very well-known case designer, but I don't know if it's something I can distribute. There might be something usable on GrabCAD.

It would be really nice if the mechanicals were 1:1 scale. They fit neatly onto an A4 sheet, so why add the unnecessary scaling step? Going through DXF breaks up line segments and needs lots of clean up work.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

LTolledo

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:01 pm

Me probably do it the "old fashioned way"

armed with digital caliper, 150mm and 300mm steel rule, RPi board, board's major component's data sheet (or search the internet) and ACAD (or even sketchup) I'd make my own file (dwg, dxf, skp)

As far as I can remember there is a 3D model of a Raspberry Pi board in 3D Warehouse, just dont remember what model.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

jamesh

Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:03 pm

OK, l have just uploaded a DXF file, can be found here for the moment, will appear on the main website in an hour or so.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... mechanical
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Berry31200

Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi,
If you are interested by RaspBerry 3d model you can check that :

https://sketchfab.com/Fa_Sketch/collections/raspberry

Return to “Other projects”