Mettauk

HD video recording plus GPS data

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:51 pm

I am looking to record HD video (720p or 1080p via an HD USB camera) when my Pi board finally arrives.. Is this possible?

As a longer term project I want to record HD video AND GPS location data to SD card AND transmit the location data and maybe some stills via 3g or 4g dongle at 2-4 min intervals.

All this using a 512mb Pi and bits. What are my chances?

Oh and to add some background info, No Linux experience but PC savvy and distant memoreis of Basic programming of a ZX spectrum! I have very basic electronics knowedge, no money, but enthusiasm and a fair amont of time!
This is before the long awaited add on camera arrives which may change things?! :roll:
Sugestions, clear answers and pointers would be welcome.
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: HD video recording plus GPS data

Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:30 pm

You won't get a decent framerate with usb cams, although some people have had some success with usb cams that encode before sending data to the Pi. However the soon to be released camera module could do what you want. You would need a usb gps device - they work fine. Not sure how well 3/5g dongles work - check the forum.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Mettauk

Re: HD video recording plus GPS data

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:24 am

Thanks for that...

OK Pi arrived today, got GPS working briefly, got a webcam sort of working 2-3fps! Steep learning curve and very frustrating and i feel really lost in linux.

Major issue trying to use wireless keyboard & mouse! Tried 3 different MS versions all won't work properly, UG! Given that up for now! Otherwise a very interesting afternoon Pi building

Is there an on line idiot guide to basic commands with examples I could build on to follow my ideas and dreams of Pi?

How do I record gps data to SD card AND transmit it via WiFi/3g dongle?
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

Return to “Other projects”