Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 am

I Have a Successful port of gambas for the arm Cpu

that i will package and compile for the raspberry Pi as soon as i get Mine

Gambas Is A Visual Basic Style Language Easy to learn

if i can help anyone with gambas plz msg Me

davidgoodenough

Re: Gambas

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 am

Gambas (or rather Gambas2) is already packaged for armel and armhf in Debian, so I am not quite sure why this is necessary?

jpa_cds

Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Pi'ers

Is anyone here able to confirm that GAMBAS will run happily on the 'Pi ? I am plotting its use in school to teach KS4 computing - need to know what will actually work as I do not have a 'Pi myself yet

j./

SN

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:45 pm

I ran up a Debian Image in qemu yesterday (my third virtual raspi)

apt-get install gambas2

did indeed pull down gambas2 (the armel variant I beleve) into the qemu emulation

attempting to run gambas2 produced a segmentation fault

game over? or would the armhf version be better behaved?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

nemmi69

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:38 am

I did this but that was as far as it got though with gambas on the end rather than gambas2 showed a % increment and that was it. I can't find it anywhere but then I am a newbie.

El Berto

Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:47 am

I'm planning to make a Gambas "Car Media Player" with an EPIA motherboard, but I'm still at beginiing.

It would be very interesting make it through Raspberry.....

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:24 am

John Andrews said:

Hi Pi'ers

Is anyone here able to confirm that GAMBAS will run happily on the 'Pi ? I am plotting its use in school to teach KS4 computing - need to know what will actually work as I do not have a 'Pi myself yet

j./

I've run Gambas2 on the Pi. I think I did actually run in to the segfault issues that SN had with the squeeze package. As I recall I installed gambas2 in either wheezy or sid and it worked great.

Chris.Rowland

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 am

I downloaded Gambas2 from the Debian Squeeze distribution using Synaptics a couple of days ago.  This is using QEMU.

It didn't work.  From the GUI nothing appearde to happen.  From a terminal I got the message "segmentation fault" and it closed. It was nearly midnight so I gave up.

This is using the QEMU emulation on a Vista box, it may be different on real hardware.

I'm a beginner to Linux so don't have a good idea of how to proceed. Google takes me to this thread!

gordon@drogon.net

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:31 am

Do you guys actually want GAMBAS or just a modern BASIC type enviroment? If the latter then there are several to choose from that work to varying degrees - the most popular might well be BRANDY - the BBC Basic, and that "just works" under the QEMU/Debian image.

However I have been writing my own BASIC interpreter recently and while the RPi wasn't initially in the viewfinder (as it were), I've had more than enough interest in it to actively make sure it works OK on the RPi and support it.

However the only thing I can really produce right now is a binary .DEB package - OK for the Debian release, but maybe not for the RH/Fedora type releases unless you're happy to install a .tgz file... However I'll be putting the sources online so maybe someone else can produce a suitable package for it.

Currently it runs well under the QEMU/Debian image (and of-course on x86 machines)

I've got some time this weekend to work on it and will be putting it up on my projects website - see the link at the bottom of the post!

Gordon
--
Gordons projects: https://projects.drogon.net/

Chris.Rowland

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:32 pm

I"d like Visual Studio   I don"t mind if it"s using VB or C#

Essentially a modern GUID design framework that can do thing like drag and drop components onto a form, then get to the underlying event handlers to write the code I need to but keeping the boilerplate GUI control code hidden.

In case the smilies didn't do it, yes I know I'm not going to get full fat VS2010, but there"s been the sort of IDE I'm imagining for over 20 years and they were running on 486s then so it doesn"t seem impossible.

bas1e

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Hello Gordon,

Thanks for the input. It has certainly added more grist for he mill. What becomes more obvious is that I need to know more about Linux.

Very kind of you to enlighten me

Bas1e

gordon@drogon.net

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 pm

bas1e said:

Hello Gordon,

Thanks for the input. It has certainly added more grist for he mill. What becomes more obvious is that I need to know more about Linux.

Very kind of you to enlighten me

Bas1e

One of the great things about the RPi (from my point of view) is that it really is just another Linux system - so it's more or less compatible with other Linux systems, so what you can do right now (if you have the resources) is to get yourself a live Linux CD, or even a standard Linux install CD and off you go - especially if you have an older PC lying about. You can dual-boot a current PC if your using Windows although this is often a bit harder to setup especially if you're brand-new to this sort of thing. See if you have a local Linux Users group - just google for LUG and your area to see what comes up)

Gordon
--

El Berto

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Ok, but let's image I would use Gambas (for example) to make a program that will run on my Rasp, so let's suppose I have made a mediacenter.

Now, Linux can run on Rasp: which distro of Linux should I install on my PC to test my Gambas program like I would have it running on Rasp?

gordon@drogon.net

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 pm

El Berto said:

Ok, but let's image I would use Gambas (for example) to make a program that will run on my Rasp, so let's suppose I have made a mediacenter.

Now, Linux can run on Rasp: which distro of Linux should I install on my PC to test my Gambas program like I would have it running on Rasp?

Pick the Linux you're most familiar with.. My choice is Debian but mostly because I've been using that for the past 15+ years... If you have a spare PC then installation is fairly straighforwards.

Gordon
--

El Berto

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:31 pm

So, if I'm developing with Gambas on Ubuntu (or Slackware) I wouldn't hawe compatibility issues when on Rasp?

gordon@drogon.net

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:33 pm

El Berto said:

So, if I'm developing with Gambas on Ubuntu (or Slackware) I wouldn't hawe compatibility issues when on Rasp?

You shouldn't have compatability with Gambas regardless of the underlying Linux, however I don't think Ubuntu is directly supported, but Debian is, and there is a Gambas2 package in Debian so I'd suggest that there won't be any issues. Hard to be 100% sure though, but if it were me, I'd not be too concerned.

Gordon
--

SN

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:41 pm

footnote: gambas2 on qemu'd raspi debian image does not run for me right now - may be I'm doing something stupid, not sure but I get a Segmentation Fault whenever I try to run it.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

gordon@drogon.net

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm

SN said:

footnote: gambas2 on qemu'd raspi debian image does not run for me right now - may be I'm doing something stupid, not sure but I get a Segmentation Fault whenever I try to run it.

I've not tried it, but will give it a go later tonight.

G
--

El Berto

Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:00 pm

with GordonH said:

You shouldn't have compatability with Gambas regardless of the underlying Linux, however I don't think Ubuntu is directly supported, but Debian is, and there is a Gambas2 package in Debian so I'd suggest that there won't be any issues. Hard to be 100% sure though, but if it were me, I'd not be too concerned.

Gordon

So, the best way would be first to try to develop Gambas application on a PC with Debian, right?

gordon@drogon.net

Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:07 pm

El Berto said:

with GordonH said:

Gordon

So, the best way would be first to try to develop Gambas application on a PC with Debian, right?

That's what I'd do if I were developing a Gambas application.

Gordon
--

nemmi69

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Nobody has said what I might be doing wrong getting Gambas to work

vallidor

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:16 pm

nemmi69 said:

I can't think of a likely situation where a segfault could be of any fault of yours.

If the Debian package shipped doesn't work, you could get into hacker mode and build it from source.  apt-source -b gambas2 or similar.

If it STILL crashes, try building from the Gambas source on gambas.sf.net

If THAT crashes you can try your hand at debugging the issue yourself, or go through standard bug reporting procedures with the project and hope somebody fixes it.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:51 pm

nemmi69 said:

As I said, I seem to recall similar issues with gambas2 in squeeze on the Pi. You could try installing the version from wheezy. See http://serverfault.com/questio.....om-testing for some approaches to installing testing packages on stable Debian.

oninoshiko

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:09 pm

GordonH said:

However I have been writing my own BASIC interpreter recently and while the RPi wasn't initially in the viewfinder (as it were), I've had more than enough interest in it to actively make sure it works OK on the RPi and support it.

However the only thing I can really produce right now is a binary .DEB package - OK for the Debian release, but maybe not for the RH/Fedora type releases unless you're happy to install a .tgz file... However I'll be putting the sources online so maybe someone else can produce a suitable package for it.

I don't have a build setup, but RH's .spec is a fairly simple file to write. (basicly gives all the instructions for pulling down, building, and packaging a .rpm).  I'm pretty familure with it because pkgbuild for Solaris' IPS uses (slighly extended) the same fomat. If you wanted me to, I could wack one out in a day, easy.

gordon@drogon.net

Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:13 pm

oninoshiko said:

GordonH said:

I don't have a build setup, but RH's .spec is a fairly simple file to write. (basicly gives all the instructions for pulling down, building, and packaging a .rpm).  I'm pretty familure with it because pkgbuild for Solaris' IPS uses (slighly extended) the same fomat. If you wanted me to, I could wack one out in a day, easy.

Thanks. Might get back to you on that!

Gordon
--

Return to “Other projects”