Daasu

Auto ground effects kit

Wed May 08, 2019 1:20 am

I’ve seen several videos and posts about using the pi to control Christmas lights. What about led strips under the car? I want to be able to control different zones with my phone via Bluetooth.

B.Goode

Re: Auto ground effects kit

Wed May 08, 2019 9:05 am

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

Daasu wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:20 am
I’ve seen several videos and posts about using the pi to control Christmas lights. What about led strips under the car? I want to be able to control different zones with my phone via Bluetooth.

I think that your RPi will have no way of knowing where the lights it is controlling have been physically installed.

So if you want to light up the ground under your car in preference to making a festive decoration, that's your choice..

omegaman477

Re: Auto ground effects kit

Tue May 14, 2019 7:48 am

Look for RGB led strips that use the WS2812B chip. These style of strips allow you to individually control each led. Via your software you would group the leds into banks or zones.

Here is a local supplier to me, but I have seen these strips on Banggood for less than $40. Get a waterproof version. https://core-electronics.com.au/5m-rgb- ... proof.html

Shop around these things are as common as anything, quality varies greatly as does price. You can drive these strips directly from a RPI GPIO pin. There are a number of libraries that support the WS2812.

I would also source some of the purpose made rigid plastic tube that the strip can slide into for more protection.

As for the software. To avoid writing a mobile app, I would setup a basic web server on the RPI, with your control buttons there. Connect to the webserver from the phone either by WiFi or IP Over Bluetooth.
..the only thing worse than a stupid question is a question not asked.

Return to “Other projects”