John Cummings

Looking for recommendations of best place to start a project that needs collaboration

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi all

I'd like to start a project to create a Raspberry Pi powered open source 3D printed laptop, however I don't have all the knowledge I need to put it together (I know 3D design and printing well but little electronics knowledge). I'd really appreciate some suggestions of where I could host the project that would encourage collaboration. I do like Github but I'm very used to a wiki environment which is much easier to work together on, I'm not very interested in being the 'owner' of the project.

Thanks

mikronauts

Re: Looking for recommendations of best place to start a project that needs collaboration

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 pm

Based on what you wrote, I would suggest starting a Wiki that you would maintain.

The best way to get collaborators (IMHO) is to commit to making the project 100% open source, and ask for volunteers here, reddit, twitter etc.
John Cummings wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:20 pm
Hi all

I'd like to start a project to create a Raspberry Pi powered open source 3D printed laptop, however I don't have all the knowledge I need to put it together (I know 3D design and printing well but little electronics knowledge). I'd really appreciate some suggestions of where I could host the project that would encourage collaboration. I do like Github but I'm very used to a wiki environment which is much easier to work together on, I'm not very interested in being the 'owner' of the project.

Thanks
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

PhatFil

Re: Looking for recommendations of best place to start a project that needs collaboration

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:22 pm

Great Idea, and top notch reply too imho.

offer up the opportunity to spend 5-10 minutes casually analysing your designs and you will be inundated with criticism, some of which could be constructively helpful ..

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm

Github has a wiki section for each project, might be worth investigating that. Not sure if you need to enable it per project.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

John Cummings

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks all, I think a GitHub wiki is the way to go, I'll write something up and then start a new post. Agreed 100% open source :)

Return to “Other projects”