Ali

Re: Pi Tins : Casings for the Raspberry Pi

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 pm

So, unquestionably the Raspberry Pi looks like it is going to be awesome, and a few of us are excited to start building and seeing what we can make.

While we were discussing ideas it hit me that it would be pretty cool to develop some different enclosures / casings for the Raspberry Pi so that people would have a good foundation to build their various projects on... This could cover everything from a basic mounting frame to a hard case with built in hard drive and battery pack.

We are thinking about calling them Pi Tins - so you can follow what we are doing on our veary basic site at PiTins.org.

So..The thing is, although we are pretty sure we can build these cases, we wanted to see what people actually want before we start making things no one wants!

So the big question:

What would your ideal casing / enclosure for the Raspberry Pi be?

- Ali

Ali

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 pm

I like it – it has an old school ring to it.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:14 pm

Ali said:

So the big question:

- Ali

Ali

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 pm

@ukscone

Good ventilation...?

Ali

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:17 pm

If you made a waterproof one is that likely to result in melted pi?

Ali

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm a fan of Eric's lego case - seems like he is way ahead of us!

Jessie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:41 pm

Ali said:

If you made a waterproof one is that likely to result in melted pi?

I doubt it.  We are talking about a cell phone processor.  There are plenty of cell phones that are for the most part a sealed unit (although not waterproof.)  I imagine you could coat one in a hard rubber and have few (if any issues.)  Making sure that the various connectors were waterproof would be an issue though.  You would have to make sure that the contacts did not corrode after contact with water, and yet still would allow stuff to be plugged into them and work.

Ali

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:47 pm

Jessie said:

I doubt it.  We are talking about a cell phone processor.  There are plenty of cell phones that are for the most part a sealed unit (although not waterproof.)  I imagine you could coat one in a hard rubber and have few (if any issues.)  Making sure that the various connectors were waterproof would be an issue though.  You would have to make sure that the contacts did not corrode after contact with water, and yet still would allow stuff to be plugged into them and work.

I guess if we were clever enough about it we could sink out through the case anyway which would solve any potential overheating.

Good point about the connections though - I thought there might be stock waterproof connectors for the main ones (eg usb), but it may be that the best we can hope for is splash proofing it if we want many external connections.

HansH

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:34 pm

I like the site...  great looking and simple...

MINKIN2

Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:36 pm

I do like the idea for a fansite for containers, your bigger idea of a unified case is worthy but I reckon there is scope on your site for a gallery of user built custom cases?

The pi case topic has some great ideas and concepts but as the thread grows, many ideas will become swamped in many other posts. Would be nice to have a platform to showcase ideas. You may be able to get some of the other hobby board fans posting there's too?

mobeyduck

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:00 pm

There's a new kind of technology coming to mobile phones soon

http://www.pocket-lint.com/new.....sung-apple

Speculation says its Samsung and maybe apple.

basicly its a nano-coating a thin film on all the components. probably sprayed on in there factory and lethal if you breath it in. I have the idea of painting a car but way smaller (purely my idea about it)

Ali

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:29 pm

HansH said:

I like the site...  great looking and simple...

Thanks a lot HansH - Not much on there yet but I guess it's a start.

Ali

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:39 pm

MINKIN2 said:

I do like the idea for a fansite for containers, your bigger idea of a unified case is worthy but I reckon there is scope on your site for a gallery of user built custom cases?

The pi case topic has some great ideas and concepts but as the thread grows, many ideas will become swamped in many other posts. Would be nice to have a platform to showcase ideas. You may be able to get some of the other hobby board fans posting there"s too?

I think that is a pretty good idea actually - like you say, it will help keep track of ideas and keep them from getting lost in the thread.

I've added that gallery page now and we can add to it as time goes on.

broken pipe

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Thin and robust (could be a thin aluminium case)

Good Airflow, passive cooled

option to mount it somewhere

modular design - easy to assemble / take apart

option to change the design / create an unique looking case

Ali

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm

broken pipe said:

What sort of fittings would you want for mounting it?

Just something like 4 external screw holes? Or is there a better option?

roelfrenkema

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:19 pm

broken pipe said:

Like:

MINKIN2

Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 pm

Ali said:

MINKIN2 said:

The pi case topic has some great ideas and concepts but as the thread grows, many ideas will become swamped in many other posts. Would be nice to have a platform to showcase ideas. You may be able to get some of the other hobby board fans posting there"s too?

I think that is a pretty good idea actually - like you say, it will help keep track of ideas and keep them from getting lost in the thread.

I've added that gallery page now and we can add to it as time goes on.

Oh wow! Thank you glad you liked my idea

I can't wait to get my Pi now so I can make my Atari Cases and post them for show http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....pi/page-24

LUAP

Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Ali said:

broken pipe said:

What sort of fittings would you want for mounting it?

Just something like 4 external screw holes? Or is there a better option?

How about making it Flat Display Mounting Interface (FDMI) / VESA compatible ? Could be used anywhere (just 4 holes) but would be very convenient mounted behind TV or monitor.

Prometheus

Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Ali said:

So the big question:

I plan to put my Raspberry Pi inside a project-box that will become part of some form of plush creation (I'm a seamstress, I love making toys – I figured it would be fun ).

For neatness' sake, though, it would be really handy to buy a very simple non-conductive (plastic would be best for this, I suppose) screw-together box for the RPi, with easy access to all ports and the SD Card slot, with holes on all four outside corners for standard PCB mounting feet. I can imagine such a thing being useful for a variety of applications.

broken pipe

Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:47 pm

roelfrenkema said:

broken pipe said:

Like:

great idea! imho a bit fishy, but a tin of altoids would also do the trick

Skree

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:45 am

hammond enclosure. job done.

for a small, good looking, tough case for the pi Hammond make good plastic and aluminium enclosures, some of the aluminium cases are really nice, might need some remote ports though.. they do rugged steel instrument cases, and my favourite aluminium case with walnut side panels (expensive though)

I considered a metal case with a sloped side so a mini keyboard could be fitted there, as a go back to the old days where the keyboard was the whole computer

i agree though a 50g tobacco tin type size would make a versatile semiportable unit if the hammonds are too heavy or expensive

these are quite reasonably priced AFAIKhttp://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg8.htm

mikeplow1961

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:20 am

I think the most important criteria is going to be cost. It's not going to be an attractive proposition buying a 25 quid piece of kit and needing to spend another 20 on a case. I'd be happy with a fairly simple plastic casing to keep the unit as light as poss as, in my case, my first Pi is going to become an XMBC unit to be attached to the back of my daughter's tv.

It's worth bearing in mind that for the Pi to get into schools, it's going to have to to be cased and go though H&S testing and certification. No school is going to let kids use an exposed board so, if the project takes off as we all hope beyond us initial nerds, someone is going to have to be able to manufacture the cases, though I'd imagine that getting done in china along with board manufacture.

What sort of price do you envisage a case being available at, when precise board dimensions etc are known.

mikeplow1961

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:28 am

Skree said:

hammond enclosure. job done.

these are quite reasonably priced AFAIKhttp://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg8.htm

Great link Skree, I particularly like the soft sided ones

carlosfm

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:58 am

The sardine can is a brilliant idea.

Canned Pi.