WheelsOC

Re: Lego case project

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:02 pm

Joefish said:

The 3D printing I've seen is brittle and not really suited to a permanent case, only prototyping.  You just don't get the strength you do with something that's injection moulded and allowed to set under very high pressure.  LEGO do 3D printing of prototype parts; I've handled some of them and they really don't have the durability you're used to from injection moulded plastic components.  If dust is your concern then these things are a source of dust themselves as the fused layers crumble around the edges.

I think you're thinking of the powder+binder version of 3D printing, but another take on it that's popular with do-it-yourself 3D printer machines is to melt and fuse ABS plastic (the same plastic used in injection molding to make commercial Lego bricks). It's kind of like building up with hot glue, but stronger. I haven't heard of products from this method being dusty.

Here's an example.

eric_baird

Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:29 pm

I've just come across a picture of the Lego-styled box designed by MIT for the Mindstorms project, if that sparks any inspiration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LegoMindstormsRCX.jpg

Lob0426

Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:59 pm

I can"t believe none of you has worked on a MindStorm case yet. What we really need is a RasPi that follows around the desk! Is MindStorm a derivative of Linux?

Edit: Looks like the labwiew is windows based
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

eric_baird

Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Lego Duplo bricks are double-sized.

Methinks that if you glued three standard "classic" four-by-two Duplo bricks together, side by side, the interior space would be big enough to hold a Pi.

You have to cut away the four interior walls where the two pairs met. And cut holes for the ports. And you'd have an open base, so maybe instead of gluing them together, you could plug the three modified bricks onto a cut-down Duplo baseboard.

Galvatron898

Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:56 am

Looks great!

Love to see finished product.

eric_baird

Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Another useful Lego part:

Part # 4151 is an 8×8 Lego plate that looks suspiciously like a grille for a 60mm PC fan, complete with central 2×2 mount and little round hole.

If you're going for an "eight-unit-wide" Lego case, and you can't think what to do about the roof without just coverign it over, this looks like "computer case" Lego, and two of them give you a two-piece roof with ventilation and a way to peer in at the board. It's got studs and dimples around the edge, so it's a quick way of throwing a case together, with the addition of a few concave wall-parts

It's supposedly available in red from some places, but Lego's PickABrick only stock them in dark grey (for 51p each).

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Part_4151
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4151
http://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Pic.....id=4068553

AndyG

Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:33 pm

@eric_baird - I had already included the grill in my Lego concept case (without knowing the part no) - so thought I would upload my current design.  So far built with scavenged parts from various collections of Lego in the loft.  Technics beams come in a good range of lengths and I like the 'drilled' effect they provide.  Case is over-size (10 x 16) and currently has a credit card inside (green) and the intent is to not expose the RCA / Audio jacks so they will be at the front of the case, hdmi at the back, therefore power supply and SD card on the right, lan and usb on the left.  The final openings to be confirmed once the board is mine!

@liz sorry no gull-wing doors or laser cannon

Andy

5+1 = hmmm

eric_baird

Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:42 am

@AndyG: That's really pretty cool! I see what you mean about the "drilled holes" effect. I bet it'll look even cooler once a real Pi is in there, with LED's flashing and the lights glinting off the shiny black curved interiors of the holes ...

@Jaseman: I used the "minifig chair" pieces too -- upside-down, clipped to hingey-things, to make the top-hinged doors.

jnh_lees

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:15 am

Its a neat idea and if/when I get hold of a PI then I might build a case,

My one concern though is around the heat that is generated by the board after prolonged use as that could lead the lego to melt.

mole125

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:05 am

Avalon said:

My one concern though is around the heat that is generated by the board after prolonged use as that could lead the lego to melt.

The melting point of lego (ABS plastic) is at least 105C, the foundation have posted that they haven't managed to get their test boards to even go above 45 degrees (http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ure/page-2) despite trying hard so you'll be fine!

jnh_lees

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 am

mole125 said:

Avalon said:

The melting point of lego (ABS plastic) is at least 105C, the foundation have posted that they haven't managed to get their test boards to even go above 45 degrees (http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ure/page-2) despite trying hard so you'll be fine!

Thanks Mole, I have recolections of melting lego with matches when I was younger, many moons ago, sounds like they've improved its melting point since then.

Along with remembering how hot the Spectrum got after several hours of use.

akauppi

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 pm

Lob0426 said:

I can"t believe none of you has worked on a MindStorm case yet. What we really need is a RasPi that follows around the desk! Is MindStorm a derivative of Linux?

Edit: Looks like the labwiew is windows based

Actually, LabView originated for the Mac and is currently available for Mac, Windows, and Linux. But the embedded OS within the MindStorm is none of these. The processor is some AVR I think - anyways it has *way* less computing power than the RPi. Hopefully, someone will make the RPi replace the MindStorm CPU at some point. Actually, Lego could well co-operate on this, if they are forward-thinking enough.

One can program the MindStorm not only in LabView-derivative graphical way, but also in Java and Lua.

killor

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:11 am

The idea of ??using Lego pieces is brilliant.
I'm doing several cases in acrylic with my laser machine.
But I'm thinking of making the holes in the base with the pattern of

LEGO 8mm x 8mm to merge the case with the LEGO pieces.

And that each user has finished their design to their use.
We have a discount for purchases made in ETSY site :o
Discount Codes :MAYTHE4TH :!:

kevpatts

Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:48 pm

It will be especially nice to be able to stick this USB hub to the Pi and then power the Pi from it as well as use the other 3 ports for devices: http://usbfever.com/index_epro.....ts_id=1752

kimondo

Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 am

Right, I've posted here before with a couple of lego case designs - first using the lego designer app, second after discovering the lego shop doesn't stock many of the bricks in the app.

And finally I have a Raspberry pi to stick in a case - so here's the latest version:

A few points:

I had to make it a bit wider - the case is now 4 lego bricks wide as opposed to 2  - it did fit with the original 2 but got a bit tight particularly around the GPIO pins, which I didn't anticipate (but am very grateful for being already there!). I think with a bit of careful brick / window selection it should be possible to make it smaller.

You can see I ran out of bricks at the bottom - if you're thinking of ordering bricks from the lego pick-a-brick I'd recommend ordering more than you think you'll need. It does need a baseboard.. and maybe some trees.

The whole thing fits quite well - I originally anticipated using clips to hold the board in place but once you plug in the usb and audio the board is held in place quite securely.

The HDMI -> DVI cable I'm using weighs a tonne. It keeps knocking the whole thing over. Worth bearing in mind the weight of the cables + plugging / unplugging them.

More pictures on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kimondo/se ... 945772440/

john_wage

Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 am

Nice case. The guys standing on top of it made me laugh.

Titus

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:27 am

they're called "studs" - just like all us raspi fans ;-)

tbr

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:41 pm

kimondo wrote:How thick is the circuit board? I had an idea of a simple open-style lego case with a novel way of mounting the board:
The "mini-figures" (I always called them lego men) can hold something about 3mm thick and the hands protrude a maximum of 3mm over what they're gripping. Stood on a lego board they grip quite firmly. You could even stick them inside a case with a few windows so they can look out.

Does depend on where the surface mounted components are, and if they get tired holding the board.
I couldn't resist this riff on the Lego men case, when you have Magneto on your team you don't need a case.

wad

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:33 pm

Last night the kids helped me build a lego case for our new pi. It's ugly, but very functional!

http://wadhome.org/~wad/pi/pi.jpg

Features:
* Made with lego pieces from our large bucket of misc parts
* dimensions are 15 bumps by 9 bumps, allowing a 1-bump-thick wall around the pi
* the bottom and top are made of two layers of the flat kind of pieces
* the top lid is held on by just a few bumps, allowing it to easily be removed (this was accomplished by using the smooth-topped flat pieces along the top of most of the wall)

Return to “Other projects”