dk253

power over a long distance

Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi,
I need to put the pi and a webcam about 12 meters from any power source. I do have both an ethernet cable and a coax cable at the remote location. How should I deliver the power?

Thanks for your help! I am a software guy... have not the foggiest idea about power and such.

Dave

DMShropshire

Re: power over a long distance

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:36 am

Might have to get some specifics. If it is that much of a distance, you may want to work with speaker cable or bigger gauge cable in general. Is good at carrying 12-24 volts, but the amperage diminishes quickly. What are the amps/volts required?

redhawk

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:54 am

The longer the cable the more the supply voltage would vary according the power consumption of the PI due to resistance in wire.
A solution to this problem would be to use a step-down buck converter at the PI end one that provides stable 5v.
So basically you can feed the regulator anything you like i.e. 12v it wouldn't matter if it varied or suffered from losses in the cable.
There are many buck converters on eBay make sure it's capable of delivering 1A current and has a trimmer to fine tune the voltage output.

Richard S.

malakai

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:12 am

http://astrobeano.blogspot.com/2012/10/ ... ry-pi.html

Original poster got this setup to over 40 meters I believe I think his whole setup is exactly what you need.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

dk253

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:23 am

Thanks! That looks perfect... But i cannot see where he describes the last mile... The cable connecting to the micro usb... Maybe i need to study it more.

Return to “Other projects”