Jessie

Re: Starting a projects list.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:25 am

Ok this weekend when I get some time I'm going to make a projects sticky to put at the top of this section of the forum.  I'm going to try and wade through the forums here and include whatever I can but it is inevitable that I will miss stuff.  So in order to make this somewhat easier for me if you want your up comming or currently in the works project in that soon-to-be pinned thread just post in this thread with at least a link to it.

Thanks for contributing to the Raspberry Pi community.

Mezo

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:58 am

Well top of the list has to be young Liam`s work, 100% make that a sticky Jesse.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....ation-tool

Mezo.

Prometheus

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:45 pm

This project isn't mine, but I reckon it ought to be included in the list due to its inherent coolness. It's Abishur's NES + Raspberry Pi project.

Svartalf

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Well, there's the several varying proposed (back in the deep past...) projects to do a HA/HPC cluster for at least studying the varying styles of clustering on the cheap, all collectively called a "Bramble" (Cluster of Raspberries...).

Then there's some GPGPU research going on to see what it'd take to leverage the fairly powerful VideoCore IV to do more for us than just graphics work.

Jessie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:46 pm

@Svartalf: I will document that stuff.  I have been a little slow on updating that post as of late, I need to get on it.

MINKIN2

Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 pm

I would recommend getting a good list of ssh, vnc and general all round remote tools and viewers available together for use with the Pi.

I know it is not as exciting as many other ideas, but remote access is a very useful thing to learn for kids and newb's alike,it may even help to bring awareness of some newer tools for us oldies?

mightygoose

Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:25 am

[linkie] the original and main bramble dev thread.

[linkie] the original weather balloon Raspi in space thread.

my personal favs for the list.

Svartalf

Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:18 am

MINKIN2 said:

I would recommend getting a good list of ssh, vnc and general all round remote tools and viewers available together for use with the Pi.

I know it is not as exciting as many other ideas, but remote access is a very useful thing to learn for kids and newb's alike,it may even help to bring awareness of some newer tools for us oldies?

SSH will be there when the boards roll out- and on varying distributions.

Odds on, VNC will be available in some form.    If it doesn't cheat on alignment and a few other things like some X86 code does (and is allowed to do…) then the code should be available for those "common" tools whether it's Debian or the hand-tooled distro I'm trying to make.

Jessie

Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:18 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.  I'm not ignoring any of them, I just haven't had time to work on that stickey this (long) weekend.  Had to do family time to avoid agro.  The wife and kid are a pita to shake they don't drop good loot even if you do kill them. Plus, they are real pissed after re-spawn. I decided just to avoid their agro, and make them happy.

meltwater

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:43 am

I think making space in the wiki might be quite good for projects, since the list can be user updated and unlike the forum you can edit your entry as you progress.  The forum can still be used for discussion etc of the project of course.

What do you think?

http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....rdProjects

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Jessie

Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:22 pm

meltwater said:

I think making space in the wiki might be quite good for projects, since the list can be user updated and unlike the forum you can edit your entry as you progress.  The forum can still be used for discussion etc of the project of course.

What do you think?

http://elinux.org/RaspberryPiB.....rdProjects

I personally like having in as many places as possible.  The wiki is a good place for it and hopefully it gets more active.

super_tnt

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:38 pm

Mine may be generic but I would like my portable console/computer on the sticky, please.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....38;ret=all

jonititan

Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:18 pm

I"m going to do a machine vision project.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....8;search=3

super_tnt

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:27 pm

I couldn't edit my post but I've got a new website for my portable thingy:
http://pi-ats.tumblr.com/
It's the blog I will use to post updates about it.

johnf

Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:08 pm

jonititan said:

I"m going to do a machine vision project.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....8;search=3

I am working on The vOICe  which is  a   DIY  cyborg  vision substitution for blind people. It works well, even from the first  switch-on, and actually causes  reprogramming of the human brain.

The  software ( at seeingwithsound.com) has colour discrimination, slow and fast scan, zoom, motion detection, etc. IMHO  this could be very useful  in a robotic context.

It is Windows and Android  hosted, 500KB . Uses USB webcams.

IMHO The vOICe  is now sorely hampered  by heavy processing equipment, nasty patent  camera glasses, general ergonomics  belonging to the last century.  The R-Pi is the key to making this effective  system really fly.  Sight-of-a-kind for less than £100.

Would you like to make contact with me to talk about possibilities for cooperation?

jfpeacocke@btinternet.com.      john.

TheMuffinDan

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:03 am

Haven't got one yet, but I'm considering making a portable speech-to-speech computer. The project idea is outlined below. You wouldn't have to use a Pi for this; but it's small size makes the project portable.

Since the arduino can run off batteries nicely, you could add in some small battery powered speakers and a USB mic and still keep it pretty small. Then, by loading up perlbox or similar, you'd potentially be able to control the Pi by voice, and have it respond in kind.

I imagine that some tweaking will be needed to get this to work, seeing as no traditional inputs/outputs (ie screen, keyboard, mouse) are involved. In addition, some simple programs might be needed to collect data (such as weather, rss feeds etc) which could then be read out by the Pi if given the correct command.

There's also a reasonable novelty factor that could be gained from the pseudo-commands in perlbox; programming it to respond to certain phrases etc. In fact, you could even improve this by having your question sent to a chatbot of some sort, which could give some semblance of an intelligent answer.

Return to “Other projects”