GhOsT1321

Add female USB port to Raspberry Pi Zero W using test pads

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:54 am

For a project I'm trying to attach a female USB port to the test pads on the Raspberry Pi Zero W. I have tried this on two Raspberry Pi Zero Ws and failed both times. I use a multi-meter to ensure I have continuity from the pads on the RPIZW to the female USB port. I then ensure that I have Vcc, Ground, D- and D+ in the right areas, but I am unable to communicate through this female USB port that I have soldered on. I am able to attach a USB light and it lights up so I know the power is going where it should.
One thing to note, of the two RPIZWs I have tried this on, both I have unsoldered the microUSB port but on both of them I ended up tearing off some of the pads from under the microUSB connector, one is missing mostly the ground pads that anchor the port, and the other is missing 2-3 test pads where the GND, VCC, D-, D+, and signal goes. Could this have damaged the board and made the USB capabilities nonfunctional?
Troubleshooting I have done so far: ensure continuity from the test pad to the female USB port, ensure the wires have continuity through the female port to the inside of the connector (where you plug in a USB male), double check I have the data lines wired correctly and reverse data lines on one of the RPIZWs to make sure I'm not mistaken.

Here's a link to a guide that's doing the same thing I'm attempting to do: https://www.instructables.com/id/Raspbe ... -Connecto/

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

thagrol

Re: Add female USB port to Raspberry Pi Zero W using test pads

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:36 pm

As you've not pulled the ID pin to ground (not mentioned in that tutorial either) your zero is probably coming up in device mode rather than host mode.

If you have a suitable cable (USB A male at both ends) you can check by connecting it to a PC and seeing if a new deice is detected.

I don't know if the required signal is exposed via any of the test pads but raspbian can be forced into host mode by adding the following to /boot/config.txt:

Code: Select all

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host
Note to self: don't feed the trolls

If I've asked you a question, please answer it. I'm unlikely to be able to help without that information.

GhOsT1321

Re: Add female USB port to Raspberry Pi Zero W using test pads

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:17 am

Thank you so much! I bridged the signal line to the ground next to it with some solder and now my USB port works! :D
For anyone why may run into the same issue, here's a picture of how my RPIZW looked after I bridged the signal pin to the ground from where the micro USB used to be. Note: I was a bit destructive with my removal, take your time as you can see I'm missing some pads.

Also, here's how I wired my female USB port

Return to “Other projects”