chaos6

Re: Photography Projects

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:38 pm

Correct. I don't remember the exact location - I'd have to check when I get home. I believe they're at /usr/lib/gphoto/2.14.?/

For my Canon 350D, I just removed everything except the canon ones. For my 60D I had to keep another one (I think it was ptp2.so, or something similar).

SN

Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 pm

As NEITHER of my bridge cameras can talk to gphoto2 :roll: and santa won't bring me an EOS xxxD :(
I'm looking to pick up a cheap 2nd hand compact camera to play with gphoto2 on the pi
looks like a canon ixus is a good option - can anyone clarify whether the camera needs MORE than ptp mode support to allow gphoto2/pi to snap from?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:43 pm

OK, so I had a another play with my Nikon D80 hooked up to the Pi.
The actual location where the drivers are is :

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libgphoto2/2.4.14/
I found plenty of drivers in there, however none were labelled as 'Nikon'. So I deleted them all except ptp2.so
Still the same 20 seconds or so lagg before taking a shot with, for example, this command :

gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --filename "Nikon_D80_%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-%03n.%C"

Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

BillyBag2

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:38 pm

I throw into the mix using "motion" with a web cam to trigger DSLR with gphoto. I've used these two bits of software separately. Never used "motion" to call other commands but these could be to fire the DSLR.
Pi N Chips - pinchips.blogspot.co.uk

shuckle

Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:24 am

texy: I tested this:
$ time gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --filename "Nikon_D80_%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-%03n.%C"
real 0m4.666s
user 0m0.280s
sys 0m0.470s

So not much delays.

Try if
$ time gphoto2 --quiet --capture-image-and-download --filename "Nikon_D80_%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-%03n.%C"
changes anything. For me it was:
real 0m3.834s
user 0m0.330s
sys 0m0.280s

Try also with empty card. I found a hint which says that initialization time is spent geting information of the photos in the card. So the more you have, the longer it takes....

mexicodirk2

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:49 am

hi
i have the theme effect
1 Shot and i need disconnect the USB Cabel for the next Shot

i tray today http://entangle-photo.org/download/
i compile this on the PI
its working unstable and very slow

i will use the PI for Data storgate on a external hard disk.
take shot and write the file on the external disk not on the SD card!
i will use this with the Chronos2 System ( Tim lapse Rail , working with Stepmotor and arduino ) or the little Bumper !
so i can save xxxxxxx pictures in RAW without SD Card limit!
i use a Canon D60 with Magic Lantern.

have fun

Dirk

SN

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:12 pm

I have just hooked up a £20 ebay NIkon 5900 to my R2 Pi (Farnell Rev1 running September wheezy)

I am seeing the USB lock up too...
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

SN

Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:52 pm

I should also say that the usbreset trick works very nicely indeed
Tomorrow I'm going to stick the camera/pi combo in a bedroom window and leave it running for a morning to time-lapse capture some scudding clouds with a bit of luck

andrewchiu

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Anyone have gphoto2 working with a Canon 5D Mk2??

My goal is to setup gphoto2 to download photos as I take them (using the camera) and ftp them elsewhere. Ideally, I'd like to duplicate David Hunt's little setup so I use the camera's buttons, dials, and shutter...but the only way my 5D Mk2 works with Gphoto2 now is with --capture-image. I'm running a bash script that checks the current number of files, waits, and then checks again...and can download any new files. However, the 5D shows "Busy" and all the buttons, etc, lock-up while the script runs...?? The usbreset code works just fine.

I'm currently running an "alpha" rig using an old netbook (HP 110), Debian Squeeze, and Gphoto2 (2.4.5) with the full intention of going "Pi" if this works. I should mention one oddity - when I run --auto-detect, I get two entries for my 5D. Both are Canon 5D Mark II but one says "usb:" and the other says "usb:00x,00x"...??

Any help would be appreciated!!

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:18 am

shuckle wrote:texy: I tested this:
$ time gphoto2 --capture-image-and-download --filename "Nikon_D80_%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-%03n.%C"
real 0m4.666s
user 0m0.280s
sys 0m0.470s

So not much delays.

Try if
$ time gphoto2 --quiet --capture-image-and-download --filename "Nikon_D80_%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-%03n.%C"
changes anything. For me it was:
real 0m3.834s
user 0m0.330s
sys 0m0.280s

Try also with empty card. I found a hint which says that initialization time is spent geting information of the photos in the card. So the more you have, the longer it takes....

Many thanks for this - I am sure I tried a freshly formatted SD card before, but I,ve just tried it again, and it is much quicker. Not as quick as your results, but it is not a very quick SD card.
Cheers,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):

f32mark

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:53 am

BillyBag2 wrote:I throw into the mix using "motion" with a web cam to trigger DSLR with gphoto. I've used these two bits of software separately. Never used "motion" to call other commands but these could be to fire the DSLR.
I've got this working with a Canon D60, and a HP webcam. further info here:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 33&t=22579

SN

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:31 pm

SN wrote:I should also say that the usbreset trick works very nicely indeed
Tomorrow I'm going to stick the camera/pi combo in a bedroom window and leave it running for a morning to time-lapse capture some scudding clouds with a bit of luck
First stab with my £17 ebay special camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf9dTg6m8iM
I have gphoto2 wrapped in a script like so

#!/bin/bash
#
dev=`gphoto2 --auto-detect | grep usb | cut -b 36-42 | sed 's/,/\//'`
if [ -z ${dev} ]
then
   echo "Error: Camera not found"
   exit
fi
./resetusb /dev/bus/usb/${dev}
gphoto2 $@
./resetusb /dev/bus/usb/${dev}
and then simply running the following command

./g2 -F 60 -I 30 --capture-image
To capture a frame every 30 seconds for half an hour.

For the next run I'm going to use

./g2 -F 120 -I 15 --capture-image
to get a smoother cloud animation by doubling the capture rate
It seems to need about 7 seconds to get around the loop with the resets in it so a frame every 10 seconds is about the limit for me...

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:38 pm

Steve, got any details on the eBay special?

Texy

SN

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Nikon Coolpix 5900 - £17 got me a tiny digicam, full PTP control, 3x optical zoon and 5megapixels - more than enough for generating 1080HD timelapse

The trick is to find the best/cheapo you can that supports PTP and I think the 5900 is perfick. I will upgrade to a 2nd hand EOS nnnD though because its night shots I really want and you just can't exert enough control over a digicam for that...

Have a look here
http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html

mexicodirk2

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:51 am

http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/ref-gphoto2-cli.html
--->scroll down
----> "To track down errors, you can add the --debug parameter to the gphoto2 command line and, if dealing with USB problems, setting the environment variable USB_DEBUG=1. "

somebody test this?

Dirk

SN

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Just to keep this one going, see http://vimeo.com/19958413 for what I'm thinking of having a go at...
Basically the Pi will take the place of the Dynamic Perception MX2 DollyEngine
Seems to me that the motor driver on the Gertboard will do the trick

mexicodirk2

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:06 am

hey SN,

i build a Chronos 2 Rail or similar to this. I using the Arduino R3 and the Chronos 2 Program on this!
This Guy Chris make are so good Work on this Project!
http://sourceforge.net/p/projectchronos ... os%20Home/
her you can take some inspiration :shock: :o :D
the System with the Potentiometer and the LED Display Works soooo good.
i dond like the Display from the D P Mx2 , and the menu to. you are 5 min pushing buttons before you have't to work! :D :D :D
i will build a 2. for the Pano Axis.
the first what i will make its a Pushbutton for the PI for ShutDown.
only i am struggling with Bash, the last time i Programming something its 20 Years ago!
and NO time!

something like this

#!/bin/bash
sudo -i
# Set up GPIO 8 and set to input for shut down push bottom
gpio export 8 in
echo "8" > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo "in" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio8/direction
# Read from input
cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio8/value
if GPIO.event_detected(8):
     shut down  -su now
Dirk

mexicodirk2

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:51 am

and this Guy connect a Stepper on the PI
http://mikehw.rddev.co.uk/ :geek:

Dirk

twchambers

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm

This thread has been quiet for a while but hopefully someone can help me. I have two questions about gphoto2. I'm using a Canon 40D. My aim is (like apparently everyone else with a Pi and DSLR!!), to try a few different functions including bracketing (more than 3 exposures offered by Canon), intervalometer etc.

Q1. Is there any way to 'release' the camera from gphoto2 for normal operation again? Maybe via a gphoto2 variable? My current solution is simply removing the usb from the camera. I want to be able to for example, fire off a round of bracketed exposures, then immediately go back to normal shooting, before firing another set?

Q2. In my tests of bracketed exposures, there's a long delay between each photo being fired. I suspect that gphoto2 is waiting for the files to be completely written to the card before taking the next instead of using the internal buffer. Is there any way to get these to fire closer together?

SN

Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Well I have a 600D to play with when Santa delivers it next week but it occurs to me that there is a simpler scene change option without building a dolly/track which is just to zoom the camera between shots - gphoto2 supports that (even on my tiddly Coolpix) BUT the Pi USB lockup/reset issue raises its ugly head here because rather than using the multishot -F and -I flags to gphoto2 I am going to have to interleave gphoto2 set-config and capture-image calls which I assume will just stuff up fairly quickly - the temp usbreset solution will take too long between exposures for me.

So I wondered whether the USB/Serial fix detailed in http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... l&start=54 where dwc_otg.speed=1 is added to /boot/cmdline.txt would permanently fix the issue we have with gphoto2 in this respect?

mexicodirk2

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:18 am

Hello
i have question :
i will use gphoto2 --capture-tethered
or gphoto2 --wait-event-and-download
its working good, only i dond can say in what folder downloading, its downloading in the PI folder only
and -f, --folder FOLDER its the Specify camera folder (default="/").
how i can download in a spec. folder?

Dirk

ant_thomas

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:17 am

I've only skimmed over the posts in here.

But if anyone has a Canon compact camera I really recommend giving CHDK a look.

If you don't know about it. CHDK is an alternative software/firmware for the Canon compact cameras. It gives you so much more freedom and there's a large community behind it. To go along with that there is CHDK-PTP which is a piece of software you can run on your Raspberry Pi. This enable full capturing abilities via the command line (or gui, but I've never used the gui). You can download, delete, upload, capture, zoom, change settings via LUA code/scripting. Very very versatile.

shuckle

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:05 pm

mexicodirk2 wrote:Hello
i have question :
i will use gphoto2 --capture-tethered
or gphoto2 --wait-event-and-download
its working good, only i dond can say in what folder downloading, its downloading in the PI folder only
and -f, --folder FOLDER its the Specify camera folder (default="/").
how i can download in a spec. folder?

Dirk
You can use --filename parameter with directory name. for example:
--filename "/tmp/Nikon_D80_%Y%m%d-%H%M%S-%03n.%C"

shuckle

Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:07 pm

SN wrote:Well I have a 600D to play with when Santa delivers it next week but it occurs to me that there is a simpler scene change option without building a dolly/track which is just to zoom the camera between shots - gphoto2 supports that (even on my tiddly Coolpix) BUT the Pi USB lockup/reset issue raises its ugly head here because rather than using the multishot -F and -I flags to gphoto2 I am going to have to interleave gphoto2 set-config and capture-image calls which I assume will just stuff up fairly quickly - the temp usbreset solution will take too long between exposures for me.

So I wondered whether the USB/Serial fix detailed in http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... l&start=54 where dwc_otg.speed=1 is added to /boot/cmdline.txt would permanently fix the issue we have with gphoto2 in this respect?
dwc_otg.speed=1 does not help with this problem at all.
But the reset command is pretty quick. Are you sure you can not use it:
$ time usbreset /dev/bus/usb/001/004

real 0m0.202s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s

mexicodirk2

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:30 am

Thanks Shuckle

i remember how linux works with mountet devices!
to long i dond programm somefing.

Dirk

@SN with Magiclantern you can use Fockus traking. I have a 600D with Magiclantern installet, only sometimes its not so stabel. i use normaly FPS override, intervalometer, HDR breaking , focus traking i dond use. In the webpage from magiklantern you can see some exempels for focustraking.

Return to “Other projects”