uwvid

Using PI for ship tracking via API

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi.

I'm looking into the possibility of using Raspberry PI in the process of creating a ship tracking system for our boats.
All our boats / ship have WiFi onboard to which the Pi can be connected.

The idea :
--> Pi + GPS module
--> Webpage with all our boats / ships shown in Windy.com, Google Maps or other service using API.

Expand with camera module and temp/hum sensor?
Have anyone created similar project or have any pointers. My programming knowledge is limited, but I have friends who are developers which could help me in the process

karrika

Re: Using PI for ship tracking via API

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:36 pm

I have been using a fairly simple system for a long time.

Collect lat/lon from each vessel to a text file every 5 minutes. Use rsync to send the file to shore every hour. The name of the file is the date. When the date changes the data starts going to a new file.

You can easily monitor the files during the day. Using rsync means that you don't lose any dara due to breaks in communication.

uwvid

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:58 pm

In your example the lat/long is shown as text in hourly log files, correct?
What I am looking for is windy/google maps or similar with live tracking of the vessels, to help with coordination between operator/ship and customer. That way I can have the map on a monitor in my office and track the vessels live via the map.

I have used NodeMCU for GPS tracking via google maps API, but only one at a time.

onlinegill

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:36 am

what about traccar ? its free and open source .

Return to “Other projects”