poglad

Cyntech case - quick review

Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 am

Okay, my "Blueberry" case from Cyntech arrived this morning so here are some pictures and a quick rundown of my first impressions.

http://instagram.com/p/R7CqRTNNBL/

This is the case as it arrived - it didn't come in a box of its own, just cocooned in bubble-wrap.

http://instagram.com/p/R7G-I2NNC4/

The screws were done up quite tightly - you can see the plastic all over the ends of them. It's a snug fit for the RasPi board, this is not going to be one of those cases that rattles.

http://instagram.com/p/R7Hk1ZNNDL/

I'd hoped that the blanks could be left in place for users who didn't need the ethernet port or second USB port, but unfortunately not. It seems that those blanks are there specifically for Model A users (if such actually exist...) The case cannot be fitted onto a Model B with the blanks in place.

http://instagram.com/p/R7JYrRtND4/

Okay this is a tricky one to see, but the case doesn't quite close up in the middle, however hard you press or tighten the screws. In fact, it wasn't even as good as this to start with. When I opened it up again, I discovered that my USB port had shaved off some of the plastic on the inside. I had to shave off a bit more to get it as good as this, and will probably have to shave off some more still if I'm going to get it to close properly. When you look directly at the USB port it looks slightly odd. Obviously this is due to variations between the USB ports used on individual boards together with the extremely snug fit that's been designed into this case.

http://instagram.com/p/R7KYmrtNEE/

But this is what it's all about - the light pipes! They're lovely. The 'ACT' one has a permanent red glow leaking from the 'PWR' one next door, but that just means it now flashes between bright yellow and dull red. It still looks very nice.

That's my quick review!

Paul

campi

Re: Cyntech case - quick review

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 pm

I totally agree with you, having had mine since launch some weeks ago. The light pipes are superb and the fit of the enclosure "tight". I suspect you just had bad luck in that your usb ports were out of true - mine were perfectly in line. I also have one of the other commercially available moulded cases that was launched earlier, but I believe that the Cyntech unit is far superior.

campi

daveg

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Have to agree with you, "what it's all about - the light pipes!"

I've got a Raspi-case and 2 modmypi cases, on in red and one in black.

I nipped in and grabbed one of these in raspberry (or rather pink!) from the CPC trade counter on my way up the M6 to a job in Edinburgh and hands down it is the best case out of the three types I've had.

There is absolutely no movement of the PCB inside no matter how hard you shake it. The ModMyPi cases come in a close second, let down by slight rattling of the PCB and lack of light pipes. The design of the Cyntech case is well thought out with the blanks to allow it to be used for Model A Pi's.

I would recommend this case to anyone, even in pink!!

SuperSonicPiePi

Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 am

My pi fit in with the plates in place but I snapped them off anyway as I needed the ports. I know what you mean about the middle bit between the USB and Ethernet and odd looking ports. On mine I solved it by disassembling once more and shifting the board about a bit (it looked like it was in at an angle and then putting very firm pressure between the USB and Ethernet ports and screwing it back up whilst also holding the Ethernet port down to stop the board moving again until the screws are all the way! Now it looks perfect!!

poglad

Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:15 pm

I just wanted to add a postscript here, to say that when I unscrewed it and took the Pi out and then put it back in carefully, I was able to make the case fit together perfectly. With such a close fit, it's important to pay attention to the bits that might be slightly different on your Pi (i.e. the connectors) and align them correctly before tightening up the screws.

So I strongly recommend this case and am strongly considering buying another. I'd like to see pictures of the transparent one...

Moose

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:27 am

I have 3 of these cases (one of each; raspberry, blueberry & iceberry) for my growing Pi collection and I'm most impressed with them, for the price these sell at I expected something a less but they are very well presented and feel robust, there is no movement in the case and everything is perfectly aligned, even my Pi with slightly wonky USB connectors went in with very little fiddling around.

I just happen to have my clear cased one with me at work today, here's a couple of piccies...

Image Image

poglad

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Superb!

battletux

Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:56 am

So far I can say this is the best case for the Pi available at the moment. I've the raspberry one and a green modmypi case and the modmypi case is so bad in comparison. I'm looking to replace it with the blueberry case in Jan. Also Cyntech's customer services are excellent, I was expecting case feet (not knowing they did not come with the case) and after emailing them was sent 2 pairs for my case, which was nice.
http://about.me/andy_mc

Methanoid

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 pm

Hi

Can someone confirm whether M4 VESA screws fit the holes on the reverse of this case? I want to attach to my monitor.

Likewise, what is the gap (centre to centre) of the two holes on the reverse? 75mm by any chance?

Methanoid

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Damn, Farnell has drawings

http://www.farnell.com/cad/1673593.pdf

The hole is 6.8mm, the slot 3.2mm (too small for a standard M4 VESA screw which has an 8mm head and 4mm thread size), the hole gap is 36mm (no chance of attaching two)

So even if you could fit an M4 VESA screw you'd only be able to attach one.

Personally that seems dumb. Might have to enlarge the hole and slot a little!

Muyfa666

Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 pm

I just got a Cyntech Berryblack and it's awesome! A perfect fit. I just got a Pi and are still just learning the OS (Windows user since 15 years) but this little piece of tech makes me want to learn. :-D

Return to “Other projects”