tom66

Re: Media PC

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:29 am

Raspberry Pi sounds really exciting. I'm thrilled about the low price point but what I'm most interested in is the possibility of replacing my media PC with it.

My media PC is essentially a 2.8 GHz AMD something-or-other with Nvidia graphics and pulls something like 50W idling on XP desktop, closer to 150W when playing a 1080p video. Problem is, it's noisy, as it needs to stay cool. 150W has to go somewhere so it sounds like a jet engine in the front room.

And yet the Pi pulls just 1.5W (300mA @ 5V) playing 1080p and basic games? That's amazing, a factor of 100x less. Though the 5V adapter I'll use probably isn't very efficient, it's still a lot less energy.

So, I would like to replace or supplement my current media PC with a Model B Raspberry Pi. It has everything I want except one thing, which is surround sound outputs - it looks like it only supports line level stereo? This isn't a big deal, as I can probably get it working with an external USB sound card or live with stereo.

There is the potential of attaching drives to it, including a 1TB disk for media, a DVD+/-RW for playback and archiving, and the 4GB SD card for the OS.

What could possibly go wrong? Any pitfalls? How difficult would it be to get the Pi to run desktop Ubuntu? Would it be fast? What about Flash and YouTube - should I forget about these, as they can't even perform well on a 2.8 GHz x64 processor, why should they work on a 700 MHz ARM?!

edgester

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:57 am

tom66 said:

Raspberry Pi sounds really exciting. I'm thrilled about the low price point but what I'm most interested in is the possibility of replacing my media PC with it.

There is the potential of attaching drives to it, including a 1TB disk for media, a DVD+/-RW for playback and archiving, and the 4GB SD card for the OS.

What could possibly go wrong? Any pitfalls? How difficult would it be to get the Pi to run desktop Ubuntu? Would it be fast? What about Flash and YouTube - should I forget about these, as they can't even perform well on a 2.8 GHz x64 processor, why should they work on a 700 MHz ARM?!

Your drives can only be connected via USB, which shares throughput with the Ethernet port. Throughput may be an issue. The RPi will be slower than your current PC. I don't know about Flash. Ubuntu does not support the ARM processor that's in the RPi... you can use Debian instead.

digital_addict

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:22 am

1 Read the wiki

2 To the best of my knowledge Ubuntu have declined to port to R-Pi

3 Debian is probably your best option

4 The power requirements of the devices you wish to add will probably exceed the capacity of a number of usb hubs.

5 Check the voltage from your psu. Although the R-Pi has over voltage protection, it's not going to like 10volts coming from a rouge supply.

6 Can you support the number of wall mounted power bricks you will require?

7 The application of flash or youtube would be determined by the OS, efficiency of this is as yet an unknown quantity.

8 A super efficient >120mm new fan may help your Olympus jet engine (as fitted to Concorde)

Apologies to edgester you posted first

viroscope

Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:32 am

I dunno if this is anything your interested in but I intend on using the RPi as a media PC on several tv's the plan I have is to keep all movies and such on my main computer and having XBMC installed on the RPi's. and just accessing and steming all videos thru wifi with UPnP.

Return to “Other projects”