moocow1452

Pi Drive

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:15 pm

So I was wondering, we all have old computers lying around the house that have decent processing capabilities, but are ill fit for this modern world, be it a lack of connectivity or processing power. So I was wondering what the logistics were behind replacing a Disk Drive with a Raspberry Pi or similar souped up device, with the intention of booting off it like any other live CD, and utilizing both the Pi hardware and the native stuff for either using the Pi as a hypervisor to the native system, or running x86 and ARM apps together from the hardware at hand. I know you can file this one under Pi in the Sky, but would there be any way to make dual systems like this one a reality with current tech?

ghans

Re: Pi Drive

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:16 pm

X11 forwarding might provide you with a nice experience. What is impossible IMHO is
to combine the computing power of both machines to accelerate /or even just use existing
apps.
Just tuck an old router into your PCs or cheaper: crossover cable.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Other projects”