optimmo

Re: Modifying a 3.5" car display for USB power.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:44 am

Jace,
It sure did!
Here's a description of how mine works.

Raspberry Pi:
Pin #2 +5v and pin #6 ground on the GPIO pins

Screen:
Power:
Black is connected to the wire I have in pin #6, Red goes to pin #2 for 5v
Video:
Depends on what cable you're using. I removed the jack and soldered it. If you have the Pi upside down, looking head-on at the AV 3.5mm jack, the middle joint in the back, you'll see a row of three is where the yellow goes.
Just to the right of it connect this also to your ground, pin #2

This set up works, I have it on mine right now.

Also, be sure to have your keyboard connected and press 1234
then you'll need to modify the config.txt file to ignore the HDMI input.
I followed this guide and it worked perfectly: https://bhavyanshu.me/tutorials/force-r ... 03/03/2014

JaceF8

Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:48 am

Ok thanks alot. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. Solder the power and video directly to the board to eliminate plugs. Do you have a picture of the screen video soldering location just to make sure I connect it to the right spot? I'm using a Pi 3.

mrfiou

Tue May 17, 2016 9:02 am

Hello everyone
I try to make a raspiboy ... I have a little trouble with the connection of the screen with my raspberry pi B ....
I have the following board (photo 1) , I realized the connections as indicated in the forum, but no display ...
help me please , I do not understand why it does not work .
thank you very much ;)
Attachments
IMG_20160517_100804.jpg
IMG_20160517_100804.jpg (51.29 KiB) Viewed 7014 times
IMG_20160517_100751.jpg
IMG_20160517_100751.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 7014 times
IMG_20160517_100727.jpg
photo 1
IMG_20160517_100727.jpg (47.29 KiB) Viewed 7014 times

seboel

Tue May 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi there,

I wondered if anyone could help me with this board which I want to convert to 5v.

I cant find it here.... :-(

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4rxhB ... sp=sharing

Looks hopeful !

Thanks, Sebastian

BMS Doug

Thu May 19, 2016 11:54 am

seboel wrote:Hi there,

I wondered if anyone could help me with this board which I want to convert to 5v.

I cant find it here.... :-(

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4rxhB ... sp=sharing

Looks hopeful !

Thanks, Sebastian
I can't make out the chip details of IC1 (which is the voltage regulator) could you let us know what it says on the chip?
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

seboel

Thu May 19, 2016 5:51 pm

Its called XL1509-5.OE1 55033

Maki84

Sat May 21, 2016 1:01 pm

Hello,

Did You already get it with your board? Because i have the same one and also need help with it :(

Thanks

blc

Sat May 21, 2016 4:00 pm

seboel wrote:Its called XL1509-5.OE1 55033
Found the data sheet: http://www.xlsemi.com/datasheet/XL1509%20datasheet.pdf. Looks like pin 2 is the output.

BMS Doug

Mon May 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Very cropped to meet attachment limits:
XL1509.gif
XL1509.gif (57.74 KiB) Viewed 6732 times
this is clipped from your image and I haven't changed the image orientation.
Doug.

diegzumillo

Thu May 26, 2016 9:08 pm

EDIT: Actually, I suspect my pi is getting less than 5V from this damn powerboost. The red LED goes off occasionally, indicating it's below 4.65V, and exactly then the display turns off. I don't know if I should keep the post here though.

Hi there
I guess I'll just stay in the line of people who can't figure this stuff out on their own :~ My display is different from all others I saw on this topic. Yes, I looked at each and every page of this topic.

Could anyone give me a hand with this? by googling "buck converter" I can almost make out the part of the circuit doing the conversion but it's still going over my head. Here's my board:

I thought I got away with using it without any modification. It was working fine! but when I connected to a powerboost+battery combo the display stays on for 15 seconds or so then turns off. It really depends on what's going on. It remains off for just a second though, and turns back on, but it's clearly underpowered. I find it curious that it wasn't doing that while the pi was plugged directly to the outlet, and it is now with the powerboost+battery. It's a adafruit powerboost rechargeable 1000c, by the way, so I think it should be enough. I even resoldered the whole thing just in case it was a poor contact.

BMS Doug

Fri May 27, 2016 9:03 am

diegzumillo wrote:EDIT: Actually, I suspect my pi is getting less than 5V from this damn powerboost. The red LED goes off occasionally, indicating it's below 4.65V, and exactly then the display turns off. I don't know if I should keep the post here though.

Hi there
I guess I'll just stay in the line of people who can't figure this stuff out on their own :~ My display is different from all others I saw on this topic. Yes, I looked at each and every page of this topic.

Could anyone give me a hand with this? by googling "buck converter" I can almost make out the part of the circuit doing the conversion but it's still going over my head. Here's my board:

I thought I got away with using it without any modification. It was working fine! but when I connected to a powerboost+battery combo the display stays on for 15 seconds or so then turns off. It really depends on what's going on. It remains off for just a second though, and turns back on, but it's clearly underpowered. I find it curious that it wasn't doing that while the pi was plugged directly to the outlet, and it is now with the powerboost+battery. It's a adafruit powerboost rechargeable 1000c, by the way, so I think it should be enough. I even resoldered the whole thing just in case it was a poor contact.
Your power converter chip is in the top right corner of the photo, labelled IC2, I can't see any details from your photo but I'd guess that its output voltage is ~3V or less (or it wouldn't work when you have the Pi connected to mains).

It does sound like the powerboost 1000 isn't man enough to drive the Pi+ screen (+ Peripherals?) have you tried with a 2.1A output USB powerbank?
Doug.

someusr

Tue May 31, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi,

my car monitor runs of 6v. It works, but looks bad, When i directly connect it to the pi.
To make it look better, I have identified twopower converter Chip on the PCB. AMS1117-1.8 and AMS1117-3,3. http://www.advanced-monolithic.com/pdf/ds1117.pdf .

When I connect the 5V from my Pi to the Vin of the converter Chip, the display will light up bright and clear. After about 1 min though it gets whiter and whiter and then turn completly black.

I have tried to connect 5 V to the 1.8 Chip and the 3,3. Same thing happens, 1,8 turns black a bit faster.
I have also tried to power it with the 3,3V from the PI, but nothing happens.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve it?

converter are on the top right corner of the pic, you can see where I soldered.
Thanks!

dirtybeagles

Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:02 am

I purchased this LCD from ePathChina on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/BW-3-5-Inch-Monit ... detailpage)

Was trying to do a jumper to the IC connection 2 I desoldered. After reading this thread, I am wondering if I should use the four pins to the left of the board? Just looking for some help if anyone is able. Trying to get the LCD to run off 5v

http://imgur.com/a/crIXi

sond1993

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:28 am

AndyA wrote:A number of people have already posted about using this 3.5 inch display for their Pi's due to the low cost (£20.02 in the UK, I found if for under $18 from Amazon in the USA).

The big downside is the need for 12V to power the display so here are instruction on how to modify it so that you can power it from USB.

Tools/parts used: Small phillips screwdriver, soldering iron, wire cutters/strippers, USB cable, RCA male plug.

1) Open the display by removing the 4 screws on the back.

2) The insides should look like this:
If not back to the drawing board.
Unplug the video/power cable. Unplug the ribbon cable to the display by sliding the black clip away from the body of the connector. It only moves a few mm, at which point the cable should slide out.
DO NOT remove the black clip from the body of the connector.

3) Remove the two screws holding the board to the front housing.

4) At this point prepare the rear housing:
Take an old USB cable and cut it to the length you want for your power cable.
Drill a hole in the display rear housing between the Menu and - buttons and slightly closer to the display edge. The hold needs to be just wide enough for the cable you have used.
Feed the cable through the hold.

5) Remove the foam pad from the back of the PCB and put it to one side. the Locate and remove the 12V to 5V regulator chip (number 1 in the image below). If you have a soldering heat gun then that is the simplest method, if not then use a soldering iron and small knife or tweezers to lift each pin in turn. Don't worry about damaging the part, we're throwing it away.

6) Sanity check: Make sure your USB cable is threaded through the rear housing before this step or you'll have to re-do it.
Locate the unused 4 pin header on the board close to the power/video in header (number 2 in the image above). Solder the red cable from your USB cord to the hole furthest from the edge (the bottom one in the image). Solder the black cable to the next hole along. (2nd from the bottom in the image.)
It should now look like this

For added strength you can optionally solder the ground from the USB cable to either the same location as the black cable or I found it easier to use one of the ground pins on the switches as shown here:

Trim back the white and green cables and leave them unconnected. Make sure they aren't somewhere that could short to the 5V line.

7) Take the power/video cable that came with the display and cut it just before the junction where it splits.
(hint for people sensible enough to read all the instructions before starting, it's easiest to do this cut earlier, that way you can remove the cable from the housing and keep it from getting in the way).
Sanity check: Make sure the cable is threaded onto the display rear housing and if applicable that the the body of the RCA connector is on the cable before proceeding.
Strip back the cable and solder your male RCA plug on to the end. The yellow wire goes to the middle pin, the black to the outside. The white and redyou can just trim back out of the way.
This does result in a fairly short display cable but for a portable system that is normally what you want.

8) Put the foam back on the rear of the pcb and re-attach it to the front housing. Plug in the display input cable. Check that the clip on the LCD ribbon cable socket is still in the open position (shown in the picture below). Slide the cable in to the socket as far as you can, take extra care that it's in square. Push the clamp down towards the body of the connector to lock the cable in place.
It should now look like this (but with the display cable clamped in)

9) Put the rear housing back on, this is a little tricky due to the extra cables. I found that routing the USB cable between the screw post and the edge of the housing worked well for both keeping it in place and offering some strain relief.

10) Power the display and Pi from a USB power source.

My display looked to take 300mA when running from 5V so if possible budget up to 500mA just to allow for variations. Having said that I plan to run both the display and Raspberry Pi from a single source that can supply up to 1A and don't expect to see any problems.

Any questions feel free to email me.

this is the best device for charging mobiles battery

Nik405

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Hello,
I have the same board as seboel. I bought it here: https://www.amazon.de/Andoer-Definition ... 8X0YHFXRNG
There is a comment for the product saying that no soldering is required and that it can be used for 5V.
My problem is connecting the display to the raspberry. I already tested and succeded connecting it with a nintendo WII.
When connecting the display with a raspberry pi 3 I dont have the slightest clue where I have to connect what cable with what.
Image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5128X ... sp=sharing

jrjr

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:49 am

Last edited by jrjr on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMS Doug

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:39 am

jrjr wrote: I followed the wiring that was described by Mauro G and ThomPe to wire my raspberry pi to the display and I have not been able to get any video output. I have attached two pictures of my setup and I was wondering if you had any ideas as to why no output is being displayed.

Thanks,
jrjr

You are using both 3V3 and 5V, you should only use one or the other.

please tell us the chip description for the voltage regulator chip on your board.
Untitled.gif
Doug.

BMS Doug

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:40 am

Untitled.gif
Untitled.gif (50.15 KiB) Viewed 6207 times
Doug.

AdityaK

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:42 am

Hello,

Here's another mod. The screen is 4.3'' and the buck converter is MP1410
diagram.jpg
diagram.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
ckt1__1468394096_97286__1468394096_83903.jpg
ckt1__1468394096_97286__1468394096_83903.jpg (55.68 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
LCd.jpg
LCd.jpg (57.54 KiB) Viewed 5997 times

Maximilanio

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:36 am

Hello guys just like everyone else om trying to modify my display to run off of 5V Although I don't think I've seen this board here before.
Here's a picture
I labeled the parts that could be the volt regulators
It doese not work on 5V it flickers.

If you can help me you will be appreciated.

aphtk

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:38 pm

hopeidontbreakit wrote:I bought this display from amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Utility-3-5-inc ... ar+display

I seem to have another (much smaller) different board.

Can I just wire 5v to the AMS1117 output?

Thanks for any help.

aphtk

Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:34 am

Hi,

I got the display working (well, kinda) - Display flickers on and goes dark ... so it is unusable./

I think the voltage supplied by 5 v pin is not enough even if the regulator 1117 says 3.3 on it. Anyone able to successfully mod this?

The display is here -> https://goo.gl/photos/gFYQZ5MYVJEYbWWR7

aphtk

Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:29 am

Done! Solved my own problem, but posting here if it helps someone.

desoldered the red wire, and soldered it directly to the Vo of the AMS1117 regulator. That was it!
https://goo.gl/photos/6CL7aPcPWfUeKtdv6 (not very clear, but you'll get the idea)

https://goo.gl/photos/bLqdUXVZHEJg1VWj8 and thats showing a working display!!!

~enjoy~
aphtk wrote:Hi,

I got the display working (well, kinda) - Display flickers on and goes dark ... so it is unusable./

I think the voltage supplied by 5 v pin is not enough even if the regulator 1117 says 3.3 on it. Anyone able to successfully mod this?

The display is here -> https://goo.gl/photos/gFYQZ5MYVJEYbWWR7

FreddeHamm

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:41 am

@Nik405. I got the same screen. It looks like you need this cable to connect:

https://www.amazon.de/Audio-Video-Kabel ... +raspberry

I got the same question like

Nik405 and zeboes.

What exactly do I have to do? The review says only "a little bit of soldering" and posted the picture I provide. Does he only solder the 3 wires or did he anything on the board?

I really need help with this...

lluvaa

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:42 pm

Does anyone know a solution for powering this screen with 5v usb power?
Can not see a board like this in this thread how to do it.
It need more than 8 volt to light up on the original connectors.
Attachments
_20160806_003759.JPG
_20160806_003759.JPG (63.34 KiB) Viewed 5605 times

Return to “Other projects”