joshdaniel36

Railway Engineering Project- RFID interfacing LCD PI3

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post so just so you have an idea where I am coming from I am an electrical engineering apprentice on traction and rolling stock (trains). As part of my project I am implementing a new stop board which hangs from the trains (one on each end) roughly 35 x 35cm in size. At the moment they are very basic and our isolation procedures are out dated. I am creating a key switch which stops the trains from starting whilst workers are beneath the trains, a lot like lock off tag off which is used in industry. The switch will send a signal to my board to simply turn an LED on to say it is isolated. Beyond this i want an RFID system so that engineers walking around the depot can easily identify who is working on that train at that time.
I want to use the following components, but if anyone has any better suggestions go ahead by all means as this is only what I have perceived to be correct;
-PI3 which I have already bought
-RFID module
-LCD module 16 x 2

The process for this system would be as follows;
1.Engineer presents RFID tag to board
2.Board recognises this and displays the persons initials and personal ID number (upto 2 persons)
3.Board presents these details on the board
4.Engineer completes job and then presents tag on the board
5.Board recognises this and removes the initials and personal ID number from the board

I am just wondering if any of you guys can point me in vaguely the correct direction as I am really struggling due to this being my first venture into the coding world.

Thank you for any help or guidance in advance :)

Josh.

boyoh

Re: Railway Engineering Project- RFID interfacing LCD PI3

Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:41 pm

joshdaniel36 wrote:Hi all,

This is my first post so just so you have an idea where I am coming from I am an electrical engineering apprentice on traction and rolling stock (trains). As part of my project I am implementing a new stop board which hangs from the trains (one on each end) roughly 35 x 35cm in size. At the moment they are very basic and our isolation procedures are out dated. I am creating a key switch which stops the trains from starting whilst workers are beneath the trains, a lot like lock off tag off which is used in industry. The switch will send a signal to my board to simply turn an LED on to say it is isolated. Beyond this i want an RFID system so that engineers walking around the depot can easily identify who is working on that train at that time.
I want to use the following components, but if anyone has any better suggestions go ahead by all means as this is only what I have perceived to be correct;
-PI3 which I have already bought
-RFID module
-LCD module 16 x 2

The process for this system would be as follows;
1.Engineer presents RFID tag to board
2.Board recognises this and displays the persons initials and personal ID number (upto 2 persons)
3.Board presents these details on the board
4.Engineer completes job and then presents tag on the board
5.Board recognises this and removes the initials and personal ID number from the board

I am just wondering if any of you guys can point me in vaguely the correct direction as I am really struggling due to this being my first venture into the coding world.

Thank you for any help or guidance in advance :)

Josh.
You must NOT rely on the on the low voltage controls for isolating the locomotive main drive
Isolating must be don by main power switching OFF , a lock securing main switch in the off position
The key to be held by the person working on or under locomotive, All control circuit coding must
Be FAIL TO SAFE.

BoyOh Retired Electrical / Electronic / Technician
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

bensimmo

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 am

Have a look in the MagPi magazine, try the latest or the one before. I'm sure I read RFID usage for a project.

They're free in PDF form.

As it's a starting coding, check through and have a go at the Make & Learn from the main website, you'll find them under the Education drop down.
That should get you displaying things on the screen and a feel for the Pi and probably the Python3 language.
The RFID can be added, for now use a button as the tagger just to display something on a screen for in and out.

joshdaniel36

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:47 pm

boyoh- It is not for a locomotive and it is simply to full-fill my projects needs and prove that it is worth while if done professionally, I understand these requirements thanks.

bensimmo- okay cool, I just started browsing the previous four and cant seem to find it so i am going to have to dig a bit deeper once i get home. Thank you for your help mate i am struggling lol. I just ordered all the components now so fingers crossed ha.

bensimmo

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Ah the one I was thinking of recently was the museum in a box of the feb2017, as I just looked to check. But there are no links whatsoever to how the project was made, sorry.

If you type RFID into the search on the main site it picks up a few projects (scroll down somewhat though)
Last edited by bensimmo on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

tinylcd

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:22 am

Hello

below is the plug n play rfid reader for raspebrry pi

it plugs on to the usb port and do not need any drivers to be installed (power is also drawn from the usb port)

it is a HID interface so the rfid card number will be emulated as a keyboard inputs to your application

http://www.neosecsolutions.com//index.p ... 7c83f062d3

also on the same site you will find various types of coloured graphics display tested on raspberry pi but not the 16x2 character

type.

regards
tinylcd

boyoh

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:30 pm

joshdaniel36 wrote:boyoh- It is not for a locomotive and it is simply to full-fill my projects needs and prove that it is worth while if done professionally, I understand these requirements thanks.

bensimmo- okay cool, I just started browsing the previous four and cant seem to find it so i am going to have to dig a bit deeper once i get home. Thank you for your help mate i am struggling lol. I just ordered all the components now so fingers crossed ha.
In your post you said the Key switch was to prevent the locomotive from moving.
If this is not so , be very explicit on what you want to know, If you can not stand
Criticism don't ask for help on the forum , Your project involves moving machinery
So safety is paramount . I suggest you submit your Idea to your chief Electrical Engineer,
Before going further with your project
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

bensimmo

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Please do ask, not all want to tell you how to do your job or who to ask, that's up to you and your situation there. I leave risk assessments to whoever should be doing them at your end, they're not up to me and I don't know your environment.

What I read is you have some other system as the key switch. It just tells your 'system' the key is engauged.
All the RFIDs are doing is tagging who is in there.

The only problem I can see once it is up and running is RFID are nearby tagging system and they would effectively swipe in and swipe out. What's to stop them forgetting or just nipping in ?
I say this as it's easy for people not to use them at doors where they are used where I work and they're used to open them and maybe something you hadn't thought of.

Return to “Other projects”