Sidd

Solar Powered RFID based parking meter

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:46 am

Hey everyone,
I am new to the forums so if I do make a mistake here please feel free to correct me. So me and my group are doing this project, where we have a to design a parking meter with a 7 inch touchscreen with a RFID Scanner. Now the main problem with this project is the power consumption, as we won't get direct sunlight for more then 2-3 hours a day, so we have to use components that consume the least amount of power. Now we are thinking of using a raspberry pi to power this whole project, but I haven't found any RFID Scanner which we can use with it. The current one we have is not compatible with raspberry pi. Its' model SL032 by Stronglink. So my question is can you suggest me a RFID Scanner which is low power consumption, and easily programmable with raspberry pi.

Also the reason I want to find this is because programming with raspberry pi will make my group mates parts easier to program( they have to program the GUI for touchscreen and cloud server to store the data for the admin).

Thank you

Regards,
Sidd

topguy

Re: Solar Powered RFID based parking meter

Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:35 pm

Why do you think that SL032 is unsuitable for Raspberry Pi ? It looks like a 3.3v device with UART/serial interface, which should be quite usable, the reference code seems quite straight forward also.

What kind of communication interface with the rest of the world do you need ? Wired ? wireless ?
Which 7" display do you plan to use ( I feel this device will steal a lot of power but I might be wrong )

PiGraham

Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:54 pm

A micro-power microcontroller might be a better choice for a solar powered device.
SL032 UART interface should be compatible with just about anything.
You might consider ePaper displays which only consume power when the content is changed. Update can be slow but might be adequate and very low power.

Sidd

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:33 am

Alright so I can program the RFID scanner with python. To be honest I don't know where to start, can you suggest me any sites or books I can use to quickly learn how to program it in the next few weeks.

topguy

Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:38 pm

The manual example code and application notes on the home page of the product is essential reading in my opinion: http://www.stronglink-rfid.com/en/rfid- ... sl032.html

PiGraham

Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:35 am

Sidd wrote:Now the main problem with this project is the power consumption, as we won't get direct sunlight for more then 2-3 hours a day, so we have to use components that consume the least amount of power.
I think you are right to say this is the main problem. I suggests you start here. Work out how large a solar panel you can use and how much power it can reliably generate year-round. I suspect that a 100W roof panel per meter won't be viable. A small panel that only gets sun for a couple of hours a day (different summer and winter?) might not be enough to run a Pi all the time. You can work that out and that will guide your design.

This post suggests PiZero can run on 66mA @5V. Add whatever power your display needs.

It seems likely you need a processor that is always available (no 30+ second Raspbian boot time). On a Pi that means bare-metal or always-on.

tinylcd

Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:39 am

hello

below you can find a plug n play rfid reader for raspberry pi

http://www.neosecsolutions.com//product ... 5&cPath=23

http://www.tinylcd.com/tiny149/category ... ategory=28

regards
tinylcd

Return to “Other projects”