kena

Re: A case worthy of a $5 computer!

Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:58 am

Chris3D wrote:Thanks Ken, I tried to PM you but couldn't.

Anyway, here's a little video clip of the case, still photos just don't capture the polished and brushed areas and how light dances around them.

https://youtu.be/lj0Legwb1dk
Try again.... my settings were set not to allow pm's. I changed it.

Chris3D

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:35 pm

joe7dust wrote:Amazing build man! Did you weigh the original block of copper, and the finished product afterwards? I'm interested to know how much worth of copper went into making it vs how much copper is left in the finished product.
Thanks Joe. Unfortunately I didn't weight the bar before I started, but I just weighed the case and it's about 41 grams. If my math is correct, a 3/16 inch thick bar of 110 copper of roughly the size of the case, leaving a border to account for actually cutting it out, would weigh about 140 grams, so the case ended up being about 30% of the starting bar. I had ordered a 1/4 inch thick bar to give me some room, but I could have gotten away with 3/16ths.

RichardUK

Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:11 pm

This is awesome! 8-)

Chris3D

Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:21 am

Thanks! I managed to order a version 1.3 and have a piece of aluminum ready to make an updated version w/the camera connector.

I'm also looking into what it'd cost to have these made in modest quantity. I have no idea what it'd end up being, I just know that my little mill can't really do them in a reasonable amount of time/effort.

killorP

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Congratulation :!:
Copper is certainly better than aluminum but to lower the cost,
you can try an aluminum case and then make an electrolysis bath :idea: giving a copper, gold, silver, etc ...

Good luck!

Adrianfu

Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:17 am

amazing case. Would love one if you ever decided to manufacture

Adrian

Chris3D

Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the comments, glad people like the 'lil case!

So on the subject of having them manufactured, here's what I've found:

Copper isn't realistic for a few reasons - first, it's pretty expensive just for the raw materials, and second, protecting it is difficult, the only real option being spraying with with some type of clear coat. Unfinished, if I touch mine with bare hands, it begins tarnishing in under an hour. And it's surprisingly heavy. Looks great, but just not practical.

Aluminum has several advantages - light, relatively cheap, it can be anodized or just polished and left bare and the finish won't degrade unless it's subject to a fair amount weathering.

So, I've looked into having it manufactured in aluminum. My mill is great for prototypes and small quantities, but not realistic for any significant numbers. I could probably cut 1 to 2 per day with a lot of manual intervention - tool changes, flipping over the material, zero'ing, etc.

So I got a quote from a real manufacturer and here's numbers - in a quantity of 1,000 cases, they can cut them for about $16 to $17 each. Add in some screws and packaging, and it'd probably be around $20. But, they don't do the polishing and the brushing on the top/bottom, so I'd have to do that myself, manually. I've e-mailed the Raspberry Pi Foundation regarding possible licensing authorization for the logo, but haven't heard back yet, so that might have to go or be replaced with something else. Throw in a few dollars here and there for payment processing and kickstarter fees and it's probably not even break even until $25 and that wouldn't count for polishing them each by hand.

That said, I'd love to hear people's feedback on what they think a reasonable price would be. Obviously there'd be more value in this than the actual utility of a case for a $5 computer, the question is how much? Unfortunately, this is just a very costly method to making something like this. Injected molded plastic would probably be pennies to maybe a dollar or two... but just wouldn't be as cool as machined aluminum.

So, let me know what you think.

MatPi

Re: Case worthy of a $5 computer!

Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Cancelor wrote:How much would you sell it for?

Would it work in aluminium as well?
A brushed aluminium case for the raspberry pi would fit well with the rest of my fruit computer collection

hootie

Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:52 am

I think $35 a piece would be the minimum I'd sell them for. You can anodize the aluminum in different colors to appeal to more people.

Regarding the logo... just my two cents (not a lawyer). I think having a disclaimer acid etched inside the case saying the raspberry pi logo and or product is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi foundation should cover you. I've seen thousands of logo's etc. used by websites, products, etc. that have a disclaimer. As long as you're not claiming your product is endorsed or owned by the Raspberry Pi foundation... I don't see they'd have a leg to stand on. If they were smart... they'd make your product an official Pi case and endorse it as so. It's the best case that I've seen yet. It would only enhance their product.

Personally, I'd start a kickstarter. I'd have several made in different anodized colors, and then set a $ goal. I think your case is the best one anyone has come up with yet. You may have a very successful Kickstarter project. Best of luck!!

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:01 pm

hootie wrote:I think $35 a piece would be the minimum I'd sell them for. You can anodize the aluminum in different colors to appeal to more people.

Regarding the logo... just my two cents (not a lawyer). I think having a disclaimer acid etched inside the case saying the raspberry pi logo and or product is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi foundation should cover you. I've seen thousands of logo's etc. used by websites, products, etc. that have a disclaimer. As long as you're not claiming your product is endorsed or owned by the Raspberry Pi foundation... I don't see they'd have a leg to stand on. If they were smart... they'd make your product an official Pi case and endorse it as so. It's the best case that I've seen yet. It would only enhance their product.

Personally, I'd start a kickstarter. I'd have several made in different anodized colors, and then set a $ goal. I think your case is the best one anyone has come up with yet. You may have a very successful Kickstarter project. Best of luck!!
The instances you've described would be covered by fair use.

Try putting the Apple logo on a computer and selling it. I don't think "actually, if you look on the back of this panel, it says the logo is property of Apple" is going to cut it. The trademark rules are pretty clear and if somebody was to sell a product with the raspberry pi logo on it, they should get permission first.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/

hootie

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Like I said... I'm not a lawyer, and obviously you should follow the law. If were the Pi Foundation.. I'd endorse it. If they don't want to... you could put something else cool on the cover. It still does the job it is intended to do, and looks great.

Chris3D

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks for the input, still trying to work this out! Hopefully I'll have time soon to update the design to accommodate the camera port on the new version and cut one from aluminum.

Regarding the logo, yea, I've already contacted the RPi Foundation and am waiting to hear back. If they don't want to authorize/license it, I'll just come up with my own raspberry looking logo. I could just leave it off, but a logo adds such a nice touch.

Burngate

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:17 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:The instances you've described would be covered by fair use.

Try putting the Apple logo on a computer and selling it. I don't think "actually, if you look on the back of this panel, it says the logo is property of Apple" is going to cut it. The trademark rules are pretty clear and if somebody was to sell a product with the raspberry pi logo on it, they should get permission first.

So I've just gone and read that, and I don't think it covers me. :(

Before the first Pi's arrived, I was given a Raspberry Pi Sticker, and having nowhere else to stick it, I stuck it on my car.
It may be the only Volvo V70 R-Design Estate in the world with a Raspberry Pi logo on it - at any rate, a silver one covered in mud.

So do I have to remove it, or can I assume it'll be okay if I've got a Pi buried somewhere inside?

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:13 pm

Burngate wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:The instances you've described would be covered by fair use.

So I've just gone and read that, and I don't think it covers me. :(

Before the first Pi's arrived, I was given a Raspberry Pi Sticker, and having nowhere else to stick it, I stuck it on my car.
It may be the only Volvo V70 R-Design Estate in the world with a Raspberry Pi logo on it - at any rate, a silver one covered in mud.

So do I have to remove it, or can I assume it'll be okay if I've got a Pi buried somewhere inside?
Heh, also not a lawyer, but I think as long as you don't try to sell it as the official raspberry pi car, you'll be alright. They are official stickers and the point of stickers is to stick to things, after all.

hootie

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:08 am

How many times have you seen such and such logo is the trademark of such and such?

I know Raspberry Pi doesn't own the Raspberry... but, regardless if it's legal or not, karma is good too.
If you follow through with making them... which I think you should. Don't name it Raspberry blah, blah, blah. If you can use the Raspberry logo... I would. But the Raspberry Pi foundation may have a point... you would be using their logo and profiting from it. Even it you say it's the property of the foundation.

Put a naked lady on it or something... I'll buy one just to have one :D

The startup costs could run a few bucks... don't shy away from a kickstarter. I see one guy on there who has like 6 going. lol

Hey, even the SmartiPi guy had a very successful kickstarter, and a failed one. I think your design is on par with his case for the display. And more marketable in my opinion. More Pi's will be sold then displays. Probably 1000-1

Callidus

Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:27 am

The best case for the Zero I've ever seen, well done.

Gary Littlemore

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:02 pm

OMG how have I only just seen this?

I want one, for the new Zero v2 with camera.

Sign me up.
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

Ronaldlees

Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:56 pm

joe7dust wrote:Amazing build man! Did you weigh the original block of copper, and the finished product afterwards? I'm interested to know how much worth of copper went into making it vs how much copper is left in the finished product.
Isn't it gorgeous. I think I want the OP to build me one. If quarter inch plate is $150/sqft, then two 4x2 inch chunks of it would be about 16 square inches, and about 9% of $150 = $13.50. I'd bet that the OP probably gets quite a bit more than that for the labor though. I'd definitely buy one for $13.50, but I'm not holding my breath! :-)
I am the Umbrella man

GoCustomized

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Wow, amazing skills. This really looks fantastic.

zmerch7

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:47 pm

For those (like me) without mills or access to CNC machines, but do have a 3D printer, I wonder how well this would work:

PLA/PHA copperFill for 3D Printers - 1.75mm Diameter - 750g
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2128

Rather expensive and out of stock right now, but they have spools of Bronze in stock, and you can even get it in Bamboo...

Soul Reaver

Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:50 am

Dude that case is frigging AWESOME!

Chris3D

Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks everyone, I'm glad people like the case. I've looked into having it made in quantity and it's not exactly inexpensive. There's just a lot of milling and finishing involved, and when it's for a $5 computer, it's hard to make the numbers work.

I also contacted the Raspberry Pi foundation regarding the possibility of licensing the logo, and they responded that they wouldn't do so. Not sure why, as other prominent cases (for example, from ModMyPi) use the logo. Maybe they have an exclusive agreement with them or something. Given the costs/time involved in manufacturing, I wouldn't want to just use the logo without explicit permission.

So, it's all a little disappointing, unfortunately. My mill is down while I add a flood coolant system, which should allow me to mill much quicker and cleaner. Once I have it back up, I plan to make an aluminum version for the 1.3 board and maybe I could make a handful for people who want them.

wildfire

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:42 pm

Chris3D wrote: I also contacted the Raspberry Pi foundation regarding the possibility of licensing the logo, and they responded that they wouldn't do so.
A shame, I want one (it's beautiful) and would even buy a Pi0 to put into it. Unfortunatly my PiB+ and Pi3B would never fit.
E8 85 A2 64 C9 64 81 94 64 81 95 64 89 84 89 96 A3
Still NF Shirls

DougieLawson

Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Chris3D wrote: I also contacted the Raspberry Pi foundation regarding the possibility of licensing the logo, and they responded that they wouldn't do so.
wildfire wrote:A shame, I want one (it's beautiful) and would even buy a Pi0 to put into it. Unfortunatly my PiB+ and Pi3B would never fit.
Ditto. I think it is truly a thing of beauty and would be a good excuse for another Zero.
Have you read the branding rules at: https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/ ?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Chris3D

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:31 pm

DougieLawson wrote: Ditto. I think it is truly a thing of beauty and would be a good excuse for another Zero.
Have you read the branding rules at: https://www.raspberrypi.org/trademark-rules/ ?
I'm disappointed as well, given that other cases are using the logo. I did read that page, and it seems pretty clear that use of the logo on non-official RaspberryPi products is prohibited, with the exception of when a "separate express written trademark license" exists. I contacted them at trademarks@raspberrypi.org asking about the possibility of such a license and the reply was:

"Unfortunately, although the cases are really cool we cannot allow the use of the logo in this way as it indicates that the item is an official product."

I replied with the fact that their page clearly suggests that a license agreement is at least a possibility... but never heard back.

Oh well, like I said, the costs of manufacture are somewhat prohibitive given the price the case could be realistically sold for, so the logo is really the least of the problems!

My mill is almost back up and running with a coolant system, and I'll see how aluminum works out. Copper was tricky to mill, so I'm hoping aluminum will be faster and easier, and it won't have the tarnishing issue copper does. If I can make them relatively easily, I'd be willing to sell a small quantity.

Return to “Other projects”